Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

What motor would you recommend for a long nose?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 11:09 AM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here is an interesting motor
http://renn-spot.blogspot.com/search...s%20for%20Sale
Old 03-08-2011, 11:40 AM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 215 Likes on 131 Posts

I vote for the 73 that Ken mentioned. Like others have said, it's all there. Take it apart, label everything, clean it up, do a color change, do all the prep work to get it ready for paint, get it painted, r and r the suspension, buy Wayne Dempsey's book about rebuilding a 911 engine, take the one you have any build it up, or sell to get seed money for a 3.2 or 3.4 conversion and have fun. Doing something like this is on my bucket list to do with my boys when they are older. They are 4 and 7 now, I figure we'll look at this in about 10 years, then spend at least 5 years on the project.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:57 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by whalebird
FOUR _______ THOUSAND for a '72T MFI boat anchor? When did we all fall out down the rabbit hole? I took a bunch of 2.4L stuff a couple of years ago to the dumps. Kept the cranks, because a guy needed some. But talk about the low point of 911 engines.................... (And yes that includes 2.7L thermal reactor ones.)

Originally Posted by Carrera51
I vote for the 73 that Ken mentioned. Like others have said, it's all there. Take it apart, label everything, clean it up, do a color change, do all the prep work to get it ready for paint, get it painted, r and r the suspension, buy Wayne Dempsey's book about rebuilding a 911 engine, take the one you have any build it up, or sell to get seed money for a 3.2 or 3.4 conversion and have fun. Doing something like this is on my bucket list to do with my boys when they are older. They are 4 and 7 now, I figure we'll look at this in about 10 years, then spend at least 5 years on the project.
I did find out about that targa. Contrary to a comment above on how it's "good to talk to the wife," she's the one who loathed me. They were tenants next door out at the vending shop, and if I parked a truck even 6" into "their" space she'd bitch to everyone for days about it. So I track down the guy's cell number after I posted yesterday, and he gave the car to his daughter a couple of years ago because of the sentimental value, etc. Guess it then got taken to Porsche Expert who pulled the drivetrain out and told them it was going to cost the usual $10K to get it running. So she sold it for a pittance. Couldn't get a number out of the guy, but I'll guess $2-3K.
Old 03-08-2011, 12:43 PM
Eharrison
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera51
You can look up this thread and see me wrapping up the metal work by then......

Originally Posted by race911
I did find out about that targa. Contrary to a comment above on how it's "good to talk to the wife," she's the one who loathed me. They were tenants next door out at the vending shop, and if I parked a truck even 6" into "their" space she'd bitch to everyone for days about it. So I track down the guy's cell number after I posted yesterday, and he gave the car to his daughter a couple of years ago because of the sentimental value, etc. Guess it then got taken to Porsche Expert who pulled the drivetrain out and told them it was going to cost the usual $10K to get it running. So she sold it for a pittance. Couldn't get a number out of the guy, but I'll guess $2-3K.
Thanks again for looking. At least I'm not going to worry about the one that got away.

I'm pretty excited. The whole way to work all I could think about is what I'm going to do for bits and pieces, colors, motor.
Old 03-08-2011, 12:47 PM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

FOUR _______ THOUSAND for a '72T MFI boat anchor? When did we all fall out down the rabbit hole? I took a bunch of 2.4L stuff a couple of years ago to the dumps. Kept the cranks, because a guy needed some. But talk about the low point of 911 engines.................... (And yes that includes 2.7L thermal reactor ones.)
WOW, now THAT makes me feel better about the $5-10k I'm about to spend refurbishing MY "boat anchor" 2.4 T motor!

Watch for the "boat anchor" rebuild thread, coming soon to a forum near you!

Phil
Old 03-08-2011, 01:01 PM
Eharrison
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by RollingArt
WOW, now THAT makes me feel better about the $5-10k I'm about to spend refurbishing MY "boat anchor" 2.4 T motor!

Phil
The Porsche motor is so versatile. In this thread it's not only a boat anchor but has also been a lawn mower!
Old 03-08-2011, 02:57 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Please, ED, do not keep a speadsheet... And, good luck!
Old 03-08-2011, 04:52 PM
Eharrison
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Peter Zimmermann
Please, ED, do not keep a speadsheet... And, good luck!
I'm an information *****. I'll have one, but it's going to be password protected.
Old 03-08-2011, 05:22 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Eharrison
I'm an information *****. I'll have one, but it's going to be password protected.
Step away from the computer...
Old 03-08-2011, 05:31 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I did warn against ever adding up the receipts, I just know I did........
Old 03-08-2011, 09:15 PM
Eharrison
Nordschleife Master

More photos. Sans glass and doors that are included.
Attached Images      
Old 03-08-2011, 09:27 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RollingArt

Phil
Are you keeping it stock for originality purposes?

Maybe Pete would care to comment about tuning MFI on the low compression T engines. Then again, given HIS clientele at Redline versus MY POS "can you keep it running, all I have is $100 and need to get it past smog" customers I got to deal with, there's probably a difference in our experiences.
Old 03-09-2011, 12:08 AM
Eharrison
Nordschleife Master

So is it bad that I didn't get a PPI?
Old 03-09-2011, 03:07 AM
RollingArt
Drifting

Originally Posted by Eharrison
So is it bad that I didn't get a PPI?
Ed, you should ALWAYS get the PPI.

I think you should also talk to a PHD !!

Phil
Old 03-09-2011, 03:28 AM
RollingArt
Drifting

Are you keeping it stock for originality purposes?

Maybe Pete would care to comment about tuning MFI on the low compression T engines.
Is the MFI the main reason for hatin' on the 2.4?

The car is a mostly original '73 T, and yes I'd like to keep the MFI for originality. Haven't opened the motor yet but expect to find things in pretty good order. Main reason for the tear down is smoking. If all the basics are still in good shape I'll probably put it back together stock spec. The motor actually runs and drives quite nice.

I'd love to here input from Pete on tuning MFI and the 2.4 in general. But only if Ed would like to here it also. This is his thread after all!

Phil

Quick Reply: What motor would you recommend for a long nose?