Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

What motor would you recommend for a long nose?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 01:38 PM
Eharrison
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok One more quick question. Is that updated from suspension worth between $250-$500? I orginally offered a price and we talked, he really wanted the front suspension so he dropped the price $250 from my original offer. If I keep the updated front suspension he wants $250 over my original offer. In theory I'm paying $250 for that front setup. Does that sound good?

I really appreciate the info here guys. Coil overs might be too steep of a slope....
Old 03-07-2011, 01:43 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow. What's the budget on getting something that starts like this together as a whole car?

I'm totally unmotivated on my "RS" shell, and all it needs is to be reassembled. I can't even fathom the $10-15K in rust repair and paint when that's the starting point. Unless you're doing it ALL yourself. Then you've got 1-200 hours into just the shell getting it ready for parts.
Old 03-07-2011, 02:33 PM
Eharrison
Nordschleife Master

Wink

Originally Posted by race911
Wow. What's the budget on getting something that starts like this together as a whole car?

I'm totally unmotivated on my "RS" shell, and all it needs is to be reassembled. I can't even fathom the $10-15K in rust repair and paint when that's the starting point. Unless you're doing it ALL yourself. Then you've got 1-200 hours into just the shell getting it ready for parts.
I think of it like in a couple ways.

My wife wants to get back into horse backriding but she's not going to be rustling cattle or delivering the mail to Yuma. When I go running I always end up back where I started from, and when I go surfing, I ride a wave in only to swim back out. It's not about making it an easy job.

I'm not planning on making a money burner, I'm going to build something to my(and son's) tastes. We're going to do as much work as we can feasibly do on our own. I haven't built cars from the shell before or have a job in that industry. Maybe if I had built three or four already, I'd look for a pristine shell. But for now I'm picking what I want to start with.

And for what it's worth, I responded to your pm on your RS shell but never got a response regarding ball park asking price.
Old 03-07-2011, 03:45 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Eharrison
And for what it's worth, I responded to your pm on your RS shell but never got a response regarding ball park asking price.
Sorry, I was waiting on an inquiry on a car that might have been a better fit to turn you on to. '73 CIS T, pretty much a mate to my friend's one I unloaded last summer. This one has been stored inside and probably not run in 10+ years. No rust. Last I saw of it it would have needed a clutch + trans work + a bunch of oil leaks fixed. S trim car, Sepia Brown though. Anyway, I left word with the guy's wife, and figure it's a decent $5-6K rust free "something that's all there" to work with.
Old 03-07-2011, 04:19 PM
Eharrison
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by race911
Sorry, I was waiting on an inquiry on a car that might have been a better fit to turn you on to. '73 CIS T, pretty much a mate to my friend's one I unloaded last summer. This one has been stored inside and probably not run in 10+ years. No rust. Last I saw of it it would have needed a clutch + trans work + a bunch of oil leaks fixed. S trim car, Sepia Brown though. Anyway, I left word with the guy's wife, and figure it's a decent $5-6K rust free "something that's all there" to work with.
I appreciate the work you did. You sure know who to contact when it comes to getting someone to unload a car.... Call the wife of the owner!
Old 03-07-2011, 04:46 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is a lot to be said for the rust free aspect of the above car. Already a 915 trans, and all the small stuff like gauges, trim, ***** and switches...prime. The small stuff can be staggering on these old 911s. Also, it is so much nicer to have an assembled "all there" car to start with. When you tow a car home in milk crates, you have a LOT of guesswork getting it back together. Easy to find/easy to read references for the inexperienced restorer are not available.
Old 03-07-2011, 04:54 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Even putting your own car all back together is a job. Can't even imagine what one of those heroic tub only jobs must be like.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:07 PM
Eharrison
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by rusnak
Even putting your own car all back together is a job. Can't even imagine what one of those heroic tub only jobs must be like.
You're not going to have to imagine.....
Old 03-07-2011, 05:36 PM
Eharrison
Nordschleife Master

So what's the consenus? The updated suspension with Bilsteins for $500? Or period correct suspension?
Old 03-07-2011, 08:31 PM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

So what's the consenus? The updated suspension with Bilsteins for $500? Or period correct suspension?
What's the purchase price? It better be a three digit number!

I think you and your son will be looking at a world of hurt with that car. It might be fun for the first 50-100 hrs., the next 4-600 hrs will be a bitch. You'll be hating the car and the fact you got yourselves buried in it. I believe you'll be lusting after a 911 to drive THIS decade.

Your budget should not flinch as you sail on by the $50-$60k this basket case needs to make it whole again.

Do yourself a favor and find a ZERO rust example. There are still lots of them around and probably cost marginally more than this one. You're only looking at the rust you can see on the surface of this one. There is a lot more rust that you can't see lurking under there. It's never cost effective to resurrect a rusty tub. The only person that makes financial sense for is the body man. He's gonna love you!

Just my opinion. I would never consider a rust bucket as the foundation for my "dream" project, even if my time was only worth $5.00 an hour.

That "dream" could soon turn into a nightmare!

Phil
Old 03-07-2011, 09:25 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

After reading and digesting this thread, and knowing all about what parts, regarding the "car," will be missing (for example, the owner now has someone on the hook, and is quick to negotiate a "deal" for the front suspension), the chance of finding that part used in good condition, or buying it new from the dealer, if it's still available, or dealing with a hoarder who doesn't provide an accurate description, or...my humble suggestion is to look, as others have suggested, for a car that's all there and assembled. At least, when you take it apart, you can use your own labeling system to store, then use, your nuts, bolts, washers, etc. You can also record your progress with a decent camera, and have a record of where you've been. Dis-assembly is not hard, but knowing when and where to stop is. I would say that it's your party if you were an experienced restorer, but that car, IMHO,is not for a novice. It sounds like you already have an emotional attachment to the object of your desire, but when something is that far gone that emotion can turn quickly when the excitement wears off and the frustration builds.

Last edited by Peter Zimmermann; 03-07-2011 at 09:58 PM.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:18 PM
Eharrison
Nordschleife Master

I understand and see where you guys are coming from. But I'm going to pig headed about this.

The build is either going to turn into a warning for others or what I hope for.

And one point I want to make is that this isn't about restoring a Targa, it's about building something that I'm thinking about, something hot roddish. Something that the purists would scoff at. I'll restore the concours car when I'm older.... a lot older. If I had an "all parts car" I'd be ripping out most of the stuff anyways. So in theory, I'm only looking for half the stuff you guys think I'm looking for.

What I'm looking for is some encouragement and help along the way. I'll most likely be the dog trying to figure out where the ball went when you covered it with a towel.

Last edited by Eharrison; 03-07-2011 at 11:35 PM.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:27 PM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

The build is either going to turn into a warning for others or what I hope for.
Rock On Ed !

Either way, you'll go down in Rennlist history !

Subscribed...

Phil
Old 03-08-2011, 12:32 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

I already swore allegiance....
Old 03-08-2011, 12:39 AM
Eharrison
Nordschleife Master

Well that's three. Time to parts hunt....
I might pick up a compressor tomorrow too.

Quick Reply: What motor would you recommend for a long nose?