Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

88 Targa @ Truspeed...feedback?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 11:04 PM
quincydog
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 88 Targa @ Truspeed...feedback?

Hey....this is my first post and hopefully I will be a Porsche owner in the very near future. I am looking at a 1988 Guards Red Taga listed at Truspeed:

http://www.truspeedmotorcars.com/car...s.php?cid=2016

Any feed back from experienced 911 owners? I plan on getting a PPI done, but was just curious to see what other think of the car from the pictures.

Thanks for your feedback.

Last edited by quincydog; 03-01-2011 at 02:55 PM.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:26 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

That looks like a very nice car. Truspeed typically has the cream of the crop, and gets or asks strong money as a result.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:56 AM
T Huestis
Intermediate

Smile Truespeed feedback

I bought my 1987 911 from Truespeed last March. Very positive buying experience, would certainly use them again. They do ask commanding prices, but they have really nice cars.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:43 AM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Very nice. Appears to have been lowered a bit. Lowering a 911 properly requires some attention to details. That would be something to verify, otherwise they will ride and steer poorly.
Old 03-01-2011, 02:54 PM
quincydog
Track Day

Thanks for the feedback and the tip on the ride height. I put a deposit on the car and it's going through a PPI in the next day or two. Hopefully the report will be clean with no major issues and this little gem will be mine (after it is shipped from CA -> NY).
Old 03-02-2011, 09:58 AM
ofishbein
Advanced

I almost bought a car from Truspeed, but I just happened to find another I went with. The people are nice but they do ask top dollar, and I don't think they haggle much because some of their cars remain in stock for a long time.

One thing I noticed is that they are very good at photographing their cars so any flaws are minimized. They don't necessarily try to hide things, but they are very good at highlighting the best features - as any good salesman would. I would just be sure to see the car in person (I'm not sure if you are local or buying from out-of-town) and have a PPI done.

The people I know who have dealt with them seem very happy.
Old 03-02-2011, 10:22 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ofishbein
I almost bought a car from Truspeed, but I just happened to find another I went with. The people are nice but they do ask top dollar, and I don't think they haggle much because some of their cars remain in stock for a long time.

One thing I noticed is that they are very good at photographing their cars so any flaws are minimized. They don't necessarily try to hide things, but they are very good at highlighting the best features - as any good salesman would. I would just be sure to see the car in person (I'm not sure if you are local or buying from out-of-town) and have a PPI done.

The people I know who have dealt with them seem very happy.
Pictures can only do so much-ever. It is always best to look at a car in person. We're talking cars that are decades old. Truspeed is also good at fixing any issues that come up, by most reports.

I've been to their showroom a few times, the cars are pretty darn nice as a rule.
Old 03-02-2011, 02:41 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Drifting

Received 132 Likes on 61 Posts

You posed the question to the experienced Porsche owners which I am NOT. But I will tell you this is. If you DON'T get that beautiful car....I WILL. Plus I have an advantage over you... coz I will have my friend Ed Hughes take delivery for me and store it until I get to his place later this year.

Hope the PPI works in your favor. Keep us posted. I am excited for you.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:51 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by w00tPORSCHE
You posed the question to the experienced Porsche owners which I am NOT. But I will tell you this is. If you DON'T get that beautiful car....I WILL. Plus I have an advantage over you... coz I will have my friend Ed Hughes take delivery for me and store it until I get to his place later this year.
Yes I will!
Old 03-02-2011, 10:40 PM
quincydog
Track Day

More feedback.....excellent! The PPI will be completed tomorrow and I should have the report in hand by end of day, Thursday. I live in NY so I will not be able to see the car in person. I have read many positive comments on Truspeed so I do have some element of trust in their cars. Yes, the sales person is very nice, but they are supposed to be. The car has all original paint, all prior work records and supporting documentation, including the window sticker. A 2 owner car, with the most recent owner a fanatic that bought the car with 15K miles on it, and basically babied it and kept a log of every cent he put into it. The pictures and history seem great, just hope it all adds up in the PPI report. I will keep you guys posted. - Michael
Old 03-03-2011, 02:21 PM
quincydog
Track Day

Well, the lesson of the day is - ALWAYS get a PPI. Turns out the first thing the inspection shop checks for is original paint, and in my case the hood has been repainted and the rear deck lid is not original to the car. Needless to say I stopped the inspection process and passed on the car. The shop doing the inspection was nice enough not to charge me for the few mintues of work. The search continues!
Old 03-03-2011, 04:21 PM
Brett San Diego
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by quincydog
Well, the lesson of the day is - ALWAYS get a PPI. Turns out the first thing the inspection shop checks for is original paint, and in my case the hood has been repainted and the rear deck lid is not original to the car. Needless to say I stopped the inspection process and passed on the car. The shop doing the inspection was nice enough not to charge me for the few mintues of work. The search continues!
For our continuing education, can you tell us what exactly led the tech to conclude the hood had been painted and the rear lid was not original?

I completely understand a hood repaint. Could be simple correction of rock chips by a fastidious owner. But, it's less clear why a deck lid would be replaced, especially if it was tail-less to begin with.

Brett
Old 03-03-2011, 04:43 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Not sure a little paint work on the hood or new tail would have turned me off to the car that fast.

It shows option 473 --- With spoilers - With Front Spoiler and Rear Spoiler
So the rear spoiler was removed, not a big deal.

However, they should not be representing the car with 100% original paint and they are asking big bucks for it.

Old 03-03-2011, 04:47 PM
niner niner seven
Racer

I am completely into it

HUGE BADGE
Old 03-03-2011, 05:26 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I do agree with all the above. First, Good catch from your PPI guy. Collision/paint work is the first thing on the list. Second, you will find that these cars are rare - that have ALL original paint that is presentable. I would much prefer shabby original paint over a respray that could be done incorrectly or hiding collision damage. However, There are lots of premium cars with repainted pieces/parts that may not be a turn-off to most. 911s certainly have their fair share of vandalism, and rock chips that are little more than cosmetic.
For an otherwise superb car, this would be a nice bargaining chip.

9r9r7, where on the BRP are you?

Quick Reply: 88 Targa @ Truspeed...feedback?