Restore or remember fondly

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 10:40 AM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Reg,
Have you experience w/ a healthy, stock 3.2 Carrera? In other words, do you have an appropriate comparative basis for your assessment of your own car's perf (not including the heat, AC)?

Your discussion of your car's perf w/ the instructor's is fraught w/ issues. What do you know about his experience w/ 911 perf? Or if he even cares how a car performs (his attention & skill may be solely aimed at a student's perf). His perception of your drivng skill level, & etc?

Not any instructor w/ 911 background will do for your purposes. You need one who is as much (or more) test driver as driving instructor - there is a distinction. Your tester must have substantial experience w/ stock 911s from the '84-89 era & be particularly sensitive / understanding of the mechanical systems that underlie overall perf. You'll want to seek out such a driver/instructor via the club or the knowledgable staff at a track like VIR, & discuss your issues w/ the car in detail prior to testing. You may even want to take some data (0-60 / 0-100, 40-80, 60-0, etc - you can also compare these #s w/ contemporary road tests of your 911 - like the 2/84 R&T road test of the new Carrera), so you can compare your perceptions to old data to current data on your specific car. (& you don't have to thrash it to get useful data).

"...start every time, accelerate with authority , stop like it snagged a tail hook, and keep me dry, cool and warm without exception."

a fine set of criteria. my '87 meets those, I'm pretty confident that yours did too & can again - like most of the posters. I think that your coming to RL to surface the issues you have is confirmation that you want to get there, but you want help to stay within some reasonable (to you) cost-effectiveness model relating to your particular 911. Rigorous analytical procedures w/ some expert assistance should get you where you want to go, without showering the 911 with cash.

Keep at it - research, planning & analysis is almost free, & definitely cost-effective.
Old 02-19-2011, 11:13 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Gah! I just have to say it. Why are we even talking about a "restoration" of this car, when the OP is just talking about a track car? The hyperbole is really bugging me. No one would describe a 3.2 as dismal on track. If it was, then whatever was wrong would be apparent, and not some mystery ailment. Restoration is for the hardest core of true believers, and he wants us to justify that for him? It makes no sense to me.
Old 02-19-2011, 12:34 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by afinepoint
She (any car for me) has to start every time, accelerate with authority , stop like it snagged a tail hook, and keep me dry, cool and warm without exception. Sorry but I'm old and the last ones do matter.

I'll see if I can find a local instructor/experienced driver in the Richmond Va. area to take a look. There has to be one around here. I belonged to First Settlers but they all seemed to work and play in the Va. Beach area.

During one track day I mentioned the "sluggish" acceleration to my instructor. He stated time could be made up in the turns once experience grew. To me that statement implied - "she ain't going any faster". And to be truthful many if not most of the cars at the track events were lightly to heavily modified. The lightly or nonmodified modified ones were often newer than mine. And who really knew what was under the hood.

For all she went through at the track she always brought me home.

I'll get those pictures posted. Please no more psychology. I just want technical feedback.

Thanks,

Reg
Many instructors, even at PCA events, are not experienced with 911's.

You've got technical feedback, but most of us think there is a psycholgical component associated here.
Old 02-19-2011, 12:39 PM
911sccab
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by whalebird
911sccab...how bout a gratuitous photo of the Maurader. Those cars simply ROCK. I keep my eyes open for them and they are a rare and graceful boat for sure.
Thanks! Appreicate the compliment, but I don't want to hijack this thread. I'll see if I can't sneak a picture in somewhere... maybe if my 911 is in the background it will be okay!
Old 02-19-2011, 04:09 PM
GRINBOB
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had a few 911/3.2s that I have restored to a non-concourse condition, drivable, have fun, then I have moved on. I have just finished a 993 and I am working on a 930, both of which I plan to keep for a while. My experience has been 1)never to add up the cost, you will never break even 2)unless you have lots of money to spend (somewhere, it was said that the average Porsche owner has a six figure income, sorry I don't) you must do the work yourself 3) if you want to spend some real money, track it. Since your 3.2 has been sitting around for some time, you probably do not have the interest/time to spend on the car. I would not think twice about selling it before it degrades to a point that rust and the engine are all that you have left. Salvage value is about $7K so if it runs you can get more. Just my 2 cents.
Old 02-19-2011, 06:00 PM
afinepoint
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ked
Reg,
. . .Not any instructor w/ 911 background will do for your purposes. You need one who is as much (or more) test driver as driving instructor - there is a distinction. Your tester must have substantial experience w/ stock 911s from the '84-89 era & be particularly sensitive / understanding of the mechanical systems that underlie overall perf. You'll want to seek out such a driver/instructor via the club or the knowledgable staff at a track like VIR, & discuss your issues w/ the car in detail prior to testing. You may even want to take some data (0-60 / 0-100, 40-80, 60-0, etc - you can also compare these #s w/ contemporary road tests of your 911 - like the 2/84 R&T road test of the new Carrera), so you can compare your perceptions to old data to current data on your specific car. (& you don't have to thrash it to get useful data).

I think that your coming to RL to surface the issues you have is confirmation that you want to get there, but you want help to stay within some reasonable (to you) cost-effectiveness model relating to your particular 911. Rigorous analytical procedures w/ some expert assistance should get you where you want to go, without showering the 911 with cash.

Keep at it - research, planning & analysis is almost free, & definitely cost-effective.
Another who is listening. Technical feedback. I posted here because this is an automotive forum. I do appreciate the "I feel that you feel . . " and "You sound like . . ." however there are other forums for such.

Hey grinbob I worry about it sitting as well. I have a six figure income but not unlimited time. For instance I have a head gasket replacement for my next project. Different car. I know track car plans does take serious coin.

I do have the interest but time is in short supply and if I am to get her running right again it also has to be financially doable. I didn't know what it would take to do all that is required - in my opinion so I posted here. The things I listed are what I need to be happy. If the feedback here could find ways and give me ideas on how to whittle down the mechanical fixes then the overall budget shrinks and the paint is more possible. I know these cars are expensive I really do. Why people state that to existing owners is beyond me. I guess there are those that buy blindly and then think about what they got into. I am not one.

This thread in spots has gone too far down the let me read your mind vice let me read you list.

Each item has a cost associated with it and ways to reduce that cost without sacrificing quality/performance. If not then the car has a value as is. It is the wisdom of RL that I am seeking to help me there and only there. My wife is capable of telling me what I think.

I do not mean to offend or hurt feelings. I know all are trying to help and slamming the door on any sincere offer of such is not intended.

Keep the ideas coming. I am most open but am tired as I am in the middle of 72 hours of 12 hour nights. Apologies if I seem cranky.

Reg

Thanks,

Reg
Old 02-19-2011, 06:44 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Here's what I would do in your shoes - take each problem and priotitize them. Make a new thread for that problem. Say "no heat" for example. State a clear description of what it's doing or not doing, what symptoms you are seeing, and any pictures if possible.

Since we can't read your mind, pictures and descriptions are needed. No one will ultimately "care" more about the fix than you, so the more you are willing to work on the car, the better results you will see. We obviously can't fix the car for you. Either you are doing the work yourself, or you are a checkbook mechanic, which is fine. But that's a different type of post.

This thread was all about your being on the fence about selling. You said nothing about asking for tech help (i.e. fixing the problems), just help in making up your mind, so we all started talking about your state of mind. It seemed natural to do so. You have to make up your mind to either do, or not do the work as a first step.
Old 02-19-2011, 11:09 PM
911sccab
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

She (any car for me) has to start every time, accelerate with authority , stop like it snagged a tail hook, and keep me dry, cool and warm without exception. Sorry but I'm old and the last ones do matter.
A new Mustang GT with the track package will do all of that. Sell your neglected 911 to somebody that appreciates it and use the money for a down payment on something with 400 horsepower so you can impress the GTOs.
Old 02-19-2011, 11:11 PM
afinepoint
Racer

Originally Posted by rusnak
This thread was all about your being on the fence about selling. You said nothing about asking for tech help (i.e. fixing the problems), . . .
Actually yes if the car is beyond reasonable fixing up then yes sell. Reasonable being deterimed by the costs and time for the repairs and my checkbook. Guys don't worry about whether or not I can afford it. I'll figure that out.

The last line of my opening alludes fence sitting.

Not asking for techical help? I gave a list because without it how could anyone give me suggestions and prices for fixes. I am on the fence about selling because I don't know what it would take to do some of the repairs. For instance the targa top is $1000 for Mr. P to do but someone else might have gotten his done for only $500 with the same results. The last qoute I got for a compressor was $1500 but someone mentioned having two rolling around.

My opening lamentations muddied the water. My fault.

Thanks rusnak for the nudge.

Reg
Old 02-20-2011, 12:01 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Well ok then, take the targa top for example - post pics of the top, any details about the seals, and where the water appears to leak in. You'll get detailed info about performing fixes, and seals needed to purchase. If it's not totally shot, then it's probably worth fixing. These are not philosophical problems. They are steps that require specifics, not generalities.
Old 02-20-2011, 09:26 AM
afinepoint
Racer

Originally Posted by 911sccab
A new Mustang GT with the track package will do all of that. Sell your neglected 911 to somebody that appreciates it and use the money for a down payment on something with 400 horsepower so you can impress the GTOs.
If it's a Ford then a GT40 or nothing! Mustangs and Chargers? - one on every corner.

As for he 911 being neglected true but then most cars are it's just a matter of degrees. Some are in need of a bath, others a tune up while others . . .

Regardless she'll get there. Have faith.

Old 02-20-2011, 09:45 AM
afinepoint
Racer

OK heres a couple of pictures of the Targa top. A previous owner attempted some sort of glue repair which never held.
Attached Images   
Old 02-20-2011, 11:01 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

I'm not a Targa owner, so I could be wrong. But see that leading edge where the windshield and top meet? Looks like the top needs to be hooked into the frame better. The top should be tight and snug, not raised up like it is.
Old 02-20-2011, 01:33 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If it's a Ford then a GT40 or nothing!
My cousin's GT was absolutely the most awkward, basically disappointing, big dollar car I've ever taken on track. Brake pedal to the floor in four laps. Running times that were slower than what I do in the Spec Miata. Huge, ponderous, and really a big "so what".

Big power is the last useful thing you really need on track.

Be aware of the unicorns you chase.
Old 02-20-2011, 01:47 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

I recovered my top about 6 years ago with a refurb kit I bought from Europe for less than $200. Not absolutely perfect, but it looks pretty good.

Quick Reply: Restore or remember fondly