Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Outdoor car cover yay/nay?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 11:39 AM
apperception
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Car Cover?

I live in rural Georgia, where we get all day sun and hot temps. I've got an 1,800 foot gravel driveway that I maintain with the 1964 3 cylinder Tractor. I love my '88 Targa, but wish it weren't black. I learned long ago to buy the best, not the prettiest. A garage or even a nice carport will cost more than I paid for the car.

All of this to say that I gave up on keeping it anywhere near collector cosmetics. Once I made that turn, I began using the car as my daily driver. I just love not saving it for pretty days. It's going to rain? So what. I use a Noah fabric cover from Big Sky car covers in (obviously) Montana. I mostly use it when it's going to be really hot/sunny, extended days of rain, or when I plan on driving the Volvo 780 V8 conversion or the ole 67 Chevy truck.

This plan has been working well for me and I'm surprised what a great DD the car makes.
My 03 cents
Larry
Old 03-17-2011, 11:34 PM
rtraviator
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've used car covers on numerous vehicles. Never used them for protection from rain. Protection from the sun, bird droppings and bug juice... I even keep my rarely driven cars that stay in the garage with car covers installed. Never had a problem with moisture build up and I live in NC. Purchase one with a soft fleece inside and keep it clean.
Old 03-19-2011, 04:23 AM
968Oz
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I keep a couple of cars under a waterproof cover lined with a soft fleecy lining all year in wet and dry conditions and have done for years. Never had a problem with moisture build up, but we live in relatively warm climate so the regular sunny days we get, even in winter, burn off any moisture. The pain is the car has to be kept spotless before the covers go on to avoid any scratching, so for DD's not really practical unless you want to wash your car constantly. I usually microfibre the paint to remove dust before replacing cover if I don't wash. If its raining I just leave the cover on and drive something else. Seriously, I have not noticed any deterioration of the paint and one car has almost perfect paint.
Old 03-19-2011, 01:22 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 343 Likes on 152 Posts

A dirty car cover = a big piece of sand paper!

Quick Reply: Outdoor car cover yay/nay?