Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Carrera Brake Update

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2002, 02:28 PM
Clark Griswald
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Given that, the stock Carrera setup is an excellent setup and well matched to the car. You may find it perfectly adequate for your trips to the Glen.

Many people run stock carrera brakes on the track without problems, myself included. Cooling ducts will give you an extra bit of capacity.

The calipers can be rebuilt for about $15 in parts each (if you don't need pistons). The cost of replacement rotors is also much less than some of the options discussed.

With upgraded pads, rebuilt calipers, high performance fluid and cooling ducts the carrera setup performs just great on the track for cars with stock to moderately built engines.

Consider too that upgrading your brakes may bump your car into a different class in track events. Unless you plan to perform all the other upgrades allowed by that new class, your car won't be competitive.

True enough the boxster calipers will save you a few pounds of unsprung weight. But that is some pretty spendy weight reduction. There are much more cost effective ways to cut the pounds.

The biggest benefit you will see from the boxster upgrade is longer pad life due to greater pad size. Plus they look bitchin.

My suggestion would be to keep your existing brakes, replace the rotors, rebuild the calipers, beef them with performance pads, fluid, and maybe cooling ducts. Spend the money you save on some other meaningful performance upgrades, or track time to tune your skills.
Old 02-15-2002, 04:56 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 575 Likes on 395 Posts
You might want to talk to Doug Arnao at VCI. Not only does he have the typical Big Red and S4 and 930 calipers and appropriate rotors but he also has an intermediate solution of 964 calipers on 28x299 and 24x289 mm rotors.
<a href="http://www.vehiclecraft.com/Brakes/vciweb0.htm" target="_blank">VCI</a>
Old 02-15-2002, 07:03 PM
Will
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Regarding the Boxster front brake upgrade with stock rear brakes, I gather that putting Pagid Orange pads in the front and Pagid Black in the back corrects the brake bias problem. Anyone know anything about this? The track car I just bought has this setup. Could be a while until I get to try it on the track, what with living in Michigan and all.

Will

Quick Reply: Carrera Brake Update