Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Oil Cooler Identification

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 01:20 PM
2specs
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Cooler Identification

Hey guys, here are some pics of an oil cooler that came off of a 930. It was pretty much given to me for my conversion. Is it missing a cover over the lines? The Stock number is worn off. What Am I looking at here cause nothing I looked at online looks like this?

Thanks
Attached Images    
Old 02-04-2011, 03:47 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 97 Posts

The famous 28-tube brass oil cooler Porsche used in between the trombone loop and the radiator. If you have a European version of PET, you will find it is Porsche part number 930-207-053-02. Bruce Anderson talks about this cooler as a better alternative than either the trombone loop or the radiator found in most Carreras (works on heat radiation principles versus air flow required for a radiator - hence the draw fan on the radiator). They were found in a limited number of cars in the SC years if I recall correctly. I have this cooler on my 930 and even in Texas summers in traffic, the turbo never gets above 190 or so (oil temp). Have it boiled out, cleaned and pressure tested. If it passes muster, you have a GREAT oil cooler on your hands. Be sure to use the factory external pipes alongside the right side of the car though. If you don't have those (or the even better finned oil lines Elephant Racing sells), you are implementing a less-than-optimal solution for cooling the oil in your car.

Toby
Old 02-04-2011, 04:42 PM
2specs
Instructor

Thanks Toby. Not so famous since I can't find any info online about it or maybe I'm just google retarded, yeah..it's probably me, google retarded.

Glad to hear this thing has potential. I'll have it cleaned and tested as well.

Is this the only one you have on your car (other than the engine one)?

Please explain to me what you mean about the oil lines. Mine are factory but what after market ones other than Elephant you think will not work and why.

Thanks again
Old 02-04-2011, 09:03 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Have it ultrasonically cleaned,......not "boiled out".
Old 02-04-2011, 09:10 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Sammy,

Check out pages 60 and 61 of Bruce Anderson's "911 Performance Handbook", Second Edition. Bruce does a great job of documenting the various derivatives of oil cooling systems found in our 911's. He does show the picture of your cooler on p.61 and explains its advantages.

Yes, this is the only external cooler on my 930 beyond the Behr engine-mounted cooler.

Regaring the oil lines, I've seen many people use Aeroquip-type braided hose instead of the factory hard lines. The braided lines really don't help dissipate heat like the steel factory lines do. I've been sorely tempted to install the Elephant Racing lines on my racecar, but even there my race car never goes above 180-190 degrees even in a 1-hour enduro. As you can see in my avatar, I use a front spoiler mounted cooler in my racer.

If you got your 28-tube cooler for free, you scored one heckuva deal - especially if it checks out after cleaning.

Toby
Old 02-04-2011, 09:11 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
OK,OK.... so I'm OLD SCHOOL. Or, just plain OLD!
Old 02-04-2011, 09:16 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Find out who the AP guys at the local airport use for for radiator/oil cooler repair. I had a place in Dallas that did a great job on mine.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:19 AM
2specs
Instructor

Thanks Steve. There's a lot of industrial shops here. I'll do some digging.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:24 AM
2specs
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Find out who the AP guys at the local airport use for for radiator/oil cooler repair. I had a place in Dallas that did a great job on mine.
Wise man say....work smarter.... not harder grasshopper....

Thanks Toby. I don't have the book.

When I got the cooler it was only because a newer one was installed and not because of it failing. If it checks out can the tubes be straightened or don't even bother?
Old 02-05-2011, 12:38 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I sorta think the front spoiler mounted cooler is doing more cooling than the 28 row brass cooler. I would ask the oil cooler place if they find any metal coming out of it. They use heat and ultra sound to loosen the dirt inside the cooler, along with some sort of solvent. They pressure test it for leaks. It's a fairly extensive process.

I have a finned cooler with the factory fan, and it works pretty well. Not as well as a spoiler mounted cooler, but it does fine up to 110 heat with the AC on. Beyond 110F no oil cooler will be much good. You have to just park and wait.
Old 02-05-2011, 01:27 AM
2specs
Instructor

I agree with the front mount being better than a fender mount. I am looking at this as being my oil cooler after my 3.3 Turbo is installed so from what you guys are saying if it checks out than it should do the trick.. My Mechanic made an air scoop going through his valance to the fender cooler. Something similar to the air scoop available on pelican which installs on your bumper but this goes through the valance instead so you get to keep all your lights. Something to think about for more air flow.
Old 02-15-2011, 06:07 PM
2specs
Instructor

See next post for before and after pics.
Attached Images  
Old 02-15-2011, 06:16 PM
2specs
Instructor

Before and after
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: Oil Cooler Identification