Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Another Car I am interested In.

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 10:24 AM
wilhit10
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Another Car I am interested In.

Its me again, I love the look of the 964, but want an 80's 911 and this one has both. Opinions on this 911 before I start asking questions on it. Or questions I should ask the dealer.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/911-T...ht_4751wt_1165.

Sorry to annoy,
Adam
Old 02-04-2011, 12:38 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 96 Posts

Not annoying at all!

An interesting car. They are asking $19.9K it looks like. For that money, you will want to have truly strong mechanical condition. Here is what I can see in the pics:

1) Motor looks stock with the exception of the exhaust (heat exchangers, muffler etc). Perhaps someone knows about those pieces and can comment. It looks like it deletes the cat, so if emissions testing is something you need to do, you will need to consider that.

2) The paint does not look as good as they describe. It certainly needs a professional buff/polish, which will probably get it looking pretty decent. I would want to see the reciepts for the paint work to try to assess the quality of the materials used (good-LOOKING paint does not mean it is good-QUALITY paint).

3) Interior looks pretty decent, but the new leather is very distinguishable from the old.

4) The 964 treatment includes the side rockers, which is good.

5) Overall, it could be a fun car, but my personal opinion is that it is very strong money for a car that has been "messed around with" a bit. $20K-or-so should allow you to get into a very nice, original car - I would think you can find something that is a little more of a certain bet (search on member w00tPORSCHE's Carrera, if you have not seen it yet. He paid 22K for that gem, which in my view comprehensively slaughters the eBay car here).

Also, I'm not sure if this car is still available, but it looks like a very strong deal (not sure if you'd want a coupe though...):

https://rennlist.com/forums/911-foru...4-carrera.html

[EDIT: I just saw that you posted to that thread already, sorry!]
Old 02-04-2011, 09:37 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Typically a conversion car should get a deduction, not a bump in value. I don't think that looks like a "new '85" at all!

Truthfully, for less money, you can get a 964 with lower miles, as it came from the factory, for less money.

If you want the mix that bad, get a Carrera for a steal that is sound, but needs some cosmetics, and do it yourself. You then know what you have, and get to say you built it.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:43 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

That's a lot of money for a Frankenstein Porsche. It will always get a sideways glance from the purists who try to figure out just what it is. That's top dollar for a 1985--and it should be marked down for being a mix of parts in there. Although they claim it to be a no-accident car, it always causes me to question "why did they do that" if it was perfectly good beforehand.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:54 AM
CT Mike
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 26 Posts

I'd keep looking. Better cars out there for the $$'s.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:49 AM
ChemMan
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I visited this shop last summer. Small but a great setup. The mechanics name is Dave, I believe. He runs workshops on a variety of things for our PCA chapter. All that being said, I am surprised that the main focus of the ad is on the body and not the condition of the engine and transmission. At that mileage I would expect a top end in the near future. You can call and speak to them about it I suppose but it does not seem like that good of a deal to me.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:05 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Pillay
I visited this shop last summer. Small but a great setup. The mechanics name is Dave, I believe. He runs workshops on a variety of things for our PCA chapter. All that being said, I am surprised that the main focus of the ad is on the body and not the condition of the engine and transmission. At that mileage I would expect a top end in the near future. You can call and speak to them about it I suppose but it does not seem like that good of a deal to me.
How many times do we have to type "get a ppi"? When we discuss cars and value, there are assumptions that this is predicated on everything checking out, unless a known mechanical flaw is mentioned.

The only focus on the body is tied to it being modified and a high asking price accompanies it.

Quick Reply: Another Car I am interested In.