Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

"Upgrading" from an 1986 to a 1989: questions...

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 12:01 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is your existing AC compressor locked? Did it throw the belt? Can you turn the inside of the pulley with the belt removed?
Old 01-29-2011, 03:24 AM
Marlon Targa 86
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rusnak
Is your existing AC compressor locked? Did it throw the belt? Can you turn the inside of the pulley with the belt removed?
No, I'm going for a R134 conversion. I think all the AC components are working. But I def ran out of R12 freon.
Old 01-29-2011, 03:28 AM
michael lang
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had a couple of opportunities to get rid of mine and move up to something newer & faster but what I like most about mine is that it I found and bought the car that was on my bedroom wall when I was growing up. It is simple enough for me to do whatever I need to do to keep it running nice. Plus, it is so reliable, it's been 12 events now since I've had to open the tool bag during the event. Granted, I spend alot of time going through the car before each track event but I'd rather do that than having to fiddle with something at the track and miss seattime.
Old 01-29-2011, 01:44 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by michael lang
I've had a couple of opportunities to get rid of mine and move up to something newer & faster but what I like most about mine is that it I found and bought the car that was on my bedroom wall when I was growing up.
I can relate. I read probably every Porsche book in print growing up, including the first ed. of Excellence WE. I even got the color right.

If I were to do it over, I would consider replacing all the hoses, change the r/d, and expansion valve, flush the condensors and evaporator, and keep R12. It's still available on ebay and maybe parts of our southern border towns.
Old 01-29-2011, 02:21 PM
UberXY
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I recently went back to R12 from R134a in my 911. R12 is three times the price of R134a, though, and you want to make very very sure you have no slow leaks in your system. Replacing the o-ring seals was trivial, but I took the opportunity to have the system flushed and pressure checked, replaced some odds and ends, and upgraded the front condenser to a Kuehl. Much cheaper than buying a replacement car!

Quick Reply: "Upgrading" from an 1986 to a 1989: questions...