Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

High oil consumption/high oil pressure?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 02:19 PM
pbbssi
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High oil consumption/high oil pressure?

A topic posted many times, but I have a twist. '87 Carrera, 51,000, nice puff of blue smoke on cold start, very little when warm, none observed on acceleration. Haven't done a comp/leak down, but have very good engine response and acceleration. May have ring or guide issues, but oil pressure gauge was running high and now is pegged high even at low RPM's. Oil consumption almost double what should be. Zero oil leaks. Is it possible to have an elevated oil pressure, and could it lead to what's observed?
Old 01-27-2011, 02:21 PM
rlwiv
AutoX

What is your oil consumption?
RW
Old 01-27-2011, 02:41 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 193 Posts

A pegged oil pressure gauge at idle is most likely an electrical problem, not an indication of engine performance. At warm idle, gently tap the oil pressure sender. Watch the gauge (or have an assistant), and I'm guessing you will see the needle swing down towards 1 bar. Elevated oil consumption is probably related to valve guide wear. Are you worse than 1Q / 1000 miles?
Old 01-27-2011, 06:06 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Auto_Werks 3.6
A pegged oil pressure gauge at idle is most likely an electrical problem, not an indication of engine performance. At warm idle, gently tap the oil pressure sender. Watch the gauge (or have an assistant), and I'm guessing you will see the needle swing down towards 1 bar. Elevated oil consumption is probably related to valve guide wear. Are you worse than 1Q / 1000 miles?
++1.

Doyle
Old 01-27-2011, 08:39 PM
pbbssi
2nd Gear

I made an 830 mile run and used about a quart, not too far off from typical, but on the high side. But using for shorter runs, I am seeing close to double that. This is a new purchase, and in all other ways, it's an exceptional car. It was purchased from a reputable dealer whose been in business for 30 years, and the circumstances prevented an independent pressure/leak down test (I knew it was a chance, having already turned down a purchase after spending 300 bucks on another, and felt I'd weighed the risks adequately). I am changing the oil this weekend to ensure I have a good dino 20/50, but I also heard something about possible plugged PCV valve (??). I know may be grasping for straws, but I'll try. I do not have a Porsche mechanic in the area, so a quick leak down check is not possible. I would appreciate if anyone can tell me the preferred design for a homemade apparatus for this.
Thanks.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:07 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,116 Likes on 798 Posts

how reputable is a dealer that sells you a carrera with bad valve guides ?

the deal is what makes them reputable and i am guessing this is your issue. you want to see how much blue comes out on decel or off throttle. Just have someone follow you on a quck run and they will let youknow. Think you are in for at least a top end rebuild, take it back or get your checkbook out.
sorry about your luck
Old 01-28-2011, 01:10 AM
sig_a
Pro

Originally Posted by pbbssi
A topic posted many times, but I have a twist. '87 Carrera, 51,000, nice puff of blue smoke on cold start, very little when warm, none observed on acceleration. Haven't done a comp/leak down, but have very good engine response and acceleration. May have ring or guide issues, but oil pressure gauge was running high and now is pegged high even at low RPM's. Oil consumption almost double what should be. Zero oil leaks. Is it possible to have an elevated oil pressure, and could it lead to what's observed?
It's not likely you have to rebuild anything. I bet you have neither excess ring or valve guide wear.

Your oil pressure gauge sensor is nearly kaputt, so watch the oil pressure light.

New 911 owners often misread oil stick and gauge, and over or under fill oil tank.

Excessive oil pressure is not likely.

Low flash point oil vaporizes faster than high flash point oil, and will result in higher consumption.

Drive more and become comfortable with 911 distinct nature.

Quick Reply: High oil consumption/high oil pressure?