Finally proud new owner of a 911.

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 09:47 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by CorsePerVita
Are they really that big of a pain?

I'm adapted to my 914, so the 911 heater controls are confusing. I'll "RTFM" when I get a chance to figure them out. Seems hot air comes out the side vents and cold air comes out the defroster, but there's a bunch of ***** so I'm trying to figure out what does what lol.
A/C is marginal, and now it's decades old. It costs about $2000-2500 in parts to make it a workable system, making it a questionable investment unless you live where it is mandatory.
Old 01-26-2011, 02:25 PM
CorsePerVita
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
A/C is marginal, and now it's decades old. It costs about $2000-2500 in parts to make it a workable system, making it a questionable investment unless you live where it is mandatory.
Yeah it'll have the top off during the summer anyway, sounds like no big deal. I'll think about it... sounds like weight to be shaved.

I guess worst case scenario if i ever do sell it, i can always reinstall the system. I usually keep my stock parts when i remove them to restore it if i resell.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:41 PM
CorsePerVita
Pro

Originally Posted by GT9111
Very nice!
what's the size of the rear tires? From the pics, its looks a bit oversized.
To update this... I found out today after looking at it and having a fellow Porsche fanatic also look at it that the tires are rubbing the inner fenders in the front. The rear is also too fat and rubs the return oil line to the engine.

Simple fix... needs new tires. Only way to avoid it is to drive like a grandma.

Should be 225 rear, 205 front, it's 245 rear, 225 front.

New tires within the next week. Since I'm going to do so... any good recommendations
Old 01-28-2011, 12:27 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by CorsePerVita
To update this... I found out today after looking at it and having a fellow Porsche fanatic also look at it that the tires are rubbing the inner fenders in the front. The rear is also too fat and rubs the return oil line to the engine.

Simple fix... needs new tires. Only way to avoid it is to drive like a grandma.

Should be 225 rear, 205 front, it's 245 rear, 225 front.

New tires within the next week. Since I'm going to do so... any good recommendations
Those tires are not necessarily too big. I ran 225/245-16's for a number of years with no issues. I'll bet there are hundreds if not thousands of cars with the same size. I've run 225/255-17's for the last 3, albeit with some negative camber. What is your aspect ratio? If they're too "thick", that could be a problem. If your alignment/camber isn't right, that could be an issue.

The rears should fit with no problem, if you have the proper wheel offset. Those may not be the right wheels-a 245/45 should be no where near rubbing the oil line. If your 245/50 or above, that is the wrong sizing. There are guys who make 275's work, but it does require work.

The fronts, well they could require a bit of lip shaving or rolling.

Personally, I wouldn't want to ever run 205/225's on a 911 ever again.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:45 AM
CorsePerVita
Pro

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Those tires are not necessarily too big. I ran 225/245-16's for a number of years with no issues. I'll bet there are hundreds if not thousands of cars with the same size. I've run 225/255-17's for the last 3, albeit with some negative camber. What is your aspect ratio? If they're too "thick", that could be a problem. If your alignment/camber isn't right, that could be an issue.

The rears should fit with no problem, if you have the proper wheel offset. Those may not be the right wheels-a 245/45 should be no where near rubbing the oil line. If your 245/50 or above, that is the wrong sizing. There are guys who make 275's work, but it does require work.

The fronts, well they could require a bit of lip shaving or rolling.

Personally, I wouldn't want to ever run 205/225's on a 911 ever again.
Yeah, sorry, having a hard time describing it but the tires are too thick. Essentially I can barely get my finger between the return line and the tire. I was told though that I could run some spacers to "fix" the problem if i wanted to keep the tires and run them as is as I still had some fender room. It wouldn't need to clear by a whole hell of a lot to be honest.

I'll get the exact numbers in the morning.

Quick Reply: Finally proud new owner of a 911.