Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

SC for a daily?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 09:55 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Not a knock on SC's, but I'd go for a Carrera as a year round car up north. Less issues with injection system.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:23 PM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

Received 1,102 Likes on 412 Posts

I daily my SC. The only issue for me is the windshield and side window defrosting is wonky and slow. I just replaced my front and rear window seals to eliminate a slight water leak and that helped a lot.

But in Seattle, it only snows a couple times per year. If I lived in a harsher climate, I would probably get a 964 C4. I owned a '94 C4 and it made for a terrific daily driver. More refinement, better HVAC, and the AWD was nice to have in the snow. But you pay a premium for a 964.
Old 01-23-2011, 01:10 AM
logan2z
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I drive my '87 Carrera daily and love it, but our winters consist of nothing more than some rain. As others have stated, the heat works fine but the rest of the HVAC system is sub-par. I've had a few instances in the rain where the window would fog up badly and wouldn't easily clear. I doubt I would ever drive the car in the sort of winter you're considering.
Old 01-23-2011, 01:23 AM
User 040621
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 49 Posts

^^ logan2z......your Carrera is beautiful!
Old 01-23-2011, 07:41 AM
jsabatini
Drifting

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Question for you older 911's as a daily driver guys, how many miles is your daily commute? How many miles is too many miles for a daily driver?

Our '87 911 is a weekend car that is getting used more often because the wife's ****ing piece of crap Volvo is a ****ing piece of crap Volvo. It's to the point that the ****ing piece of crap Volvo is probably only worth scrap value and not sure what to get to replace it. Yes current crappy economy is a factor in being able to replace said ****ing piece of crap Volvo. Therefore we might need to daily drive the 911 for a while until we get everything sorted out. Both our commutes our 20+ miles one way.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:44 AM
Anthony DiBernardo
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have used my 911 SC as a daily driver for the past 6 years. Before that I used a 76 S. Here in Wilmington, NC, I struggle with no A/C in the summer. Otherwise, no trouble at all. At this point, I wouldn't consider any other car. My commute is light, however, and we rarely see snow.

To be fair, I am considering a 997 S so My SC can enjoy its status as what it is. A 31 year old car.

Over 200,000 miles and no trouble at all though. I don't worry about taking it 8 hours away to the mountains on occasion.
Old 01-23-2011, 12:41 PM
Woody
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As for getting around in the winter with good tires you should do ok. Rear drive and rear weight make a good combination for getting through the snow. My biggest worry would be getting run over by a jacked up 4x4 with large wide tires and the lack of heat/defroster. Heat being the biggest worry.

They are great cars to drive and fun. They are older so it takes a bit of dedication to make them a daily driver. I am using my 944 as a winter car..but that does not mean much because of where I live, but it does get too cold for the MC : )
Woody
Old 01-23-2011, 12:45 PM
logan2z
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mitch9000
^^ logan2z......your Carrera is beautiful!
Thanks for the compliment, appreciate it!
Old 01-23-2011, 06:24 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by jsabatini
Question for you older 911's as a daily driver guys, how many miles is your daily commute? How many miles is too many miles for a daily driver?

Our '87 911 is a weekend car that is getting used more often because the wife's ****ing piece of crap Volvo is a ****ing piece of crap Volvo. It's to the point that the ****ing piece of crap Volvo is probably only worth scrap value and not sure what to get to replace it. Yes current crappy economy is a factor in being able to replace said ****ing piece of crap Volvo. Therefore we might need to daily drive the 911 for a while until we get everything sorted out. Both our commutes our 20+ miles one way.
Don't worry about the miles....at least for 20+. It is the short trips, especially stop and go, that are KILLER and require lots of oil changes. Any time you take your 911 out to stretch its legs, and get fully warmed up, they love it, and will last a long time. Unless you have an ultra-low mile show car, where miles would detract from your anticipated value.

Quick Reply: SC for a daily?