Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Simply,..a BIG Battery install,..1989

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 04:12 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink Simply,..a BIG Battery install,..1989

During my recent visit to my Wrench for fuel leak issues (another thread), I went ahead with installation of a fresh battery with a PP-provided quick disconnect adapter (I always wanted one to assist with quicker work sessions via QUICK power disconnect when needed). Just wanted to provide some pics/stuff for anyone interested. The old Porsche battery had LONG served its purpose (+6-7 years?) and I'm a preventative type. She's a street girl so I've no problems with keeping the weight right where it was,..replacing A BIG **** BATTERY WITH A BIG **** BATTERY!!!!!!!! No Optima stuff here (I know,..I'll take some hits for that)........

Decided to go with Wrench's recco, INTERSTATE Battery, MTP 93, big boy.

Clearly, it's tight down bottom right, near that blower! I'd actually have to mic the clearance, as there exists eversosmall a clearance.....plan to insert some isolative materials betwix.....I swear it's not touching (at least, sitting in the driveway).....

Alt should be relaxed a bit now.....nice to have those power door locks POP open when turning that key on 32 degree mornings.....!!!!!

Guess the corner balance was maintained? (JK)

Best to all!

Doyle
Attached Images   
Old 01-21-2011, 04:25 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Re: batt disconnect: Make sure that sucker is tightened down TIGHT. You don't want it coming loose with the engine running.
Old 01-21-2011, 04:38 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

For sure, Rusnak. I've taken the liberty to check this baby out, watching the voltage drop off vs. positioning of **** (or even disconnecting) and she seems to work great. I'll probably be checking for tightness every other day for about a frikin' month......get those "vibrations" happening,..then comfortable that she's gonna' be fine.

I'd certainly NOT want to ask my alt to sacrifice itself by not "seeing" the battery......

I think this device (disconnect) to come in handy,..should it become problematic, then OUT, IT WILL COME.

I'll keep a close eye,......I do know some Porsche Wrenches who told me (flat out), no go. On the other hand, I was told that the hardware selection installed is of very good quality.

We'll see...

THANKS!

Last edited by dshepp806; 01-21-2011 at 09:42 PM.
Old 01-21-2011, 05:51 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Did you see my H4 install thread? You have the correct batery.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:25 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,115 Likes on 797 Posts

well i think you have a hybrid . if you run out of gas that battery should get you home
Old 01-21-2011, 10:44 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

haha!!
Old 01-22-2011, 05:58 AM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

you funny, Iceman!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-22-2011, 06:00 AM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

I think I'll take back the comment about the alt relaxation, as the charge current would/could be quite high for this monster...no rest.

Last edited by dshepp806; 01-23-2011 at 07:56 AM.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:21 AM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You should be in good shape Shepp. I think it's a good sign when a battery lasts a long time. A fully charged battery is a happy bettery, and a solid starting/charging system is the key.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:37 AM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dshepp806
For sure, Rusnak. I've taken the liberty to check this baby out, watching the voltage drop off vs. positioning of **** (or even disconnecting) and she seems to work great. I'll probably be checking for tightness every other day for about a frikin' month......get those "vibrations" happening,..then comfortable that she's gonna' be fine.

I'd certainly NOT want to ask my alt to sacrifice itself by not "seeing" the battery......

I think this device (disconnect) to come in handy,..should it become problematic, then OUT, IT WILL COME.

I'll keep a close eye,......I do know some Porsche Wrenches who told me (flat out), no go. On the other hand, I was told that the hardware selection installed is of very good quality.

We'll see...

THANKS!
It's HIGHLY unlikely that your alternator would "sacrifice" itself if the battery went open, or partially so. On the other hand if the battery should go open with the engine running that >20 volt alternator output that results would probably blow EVERY electronic module in the car and maybe even a few halogen bulbs.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:45 AM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your voltage regulator will disallow any voltage 'spike'. There is a fundemental differance between an alternator and a generator as well.
Old 01-22-2011, 02:23 PM
BMWDavid
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got the same battery in my '89 3.2. Came with the car when I bought it. It's seven years old and still cranks the engine strong.

However I'm replacing it with a DEKA AGM battery to eliminate all chance of acid damage.

David
Old 01-22-2011, 02:59 PM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BMWDavid
I'm replacing it with a DEKA AGM battery to eliminate all chance of acid damage.

David
+1

Stopped using conventional lead-acid batteries in my classic Porsches years ago.

Why live with risk of an acid spill if you can avoid it entirely? Maybe I'm just being overly cautious in my old age!

Hope the new battery gives you many years of trouble free service dshepp! Good job being pro active and replacing the old battery before it has the chance to ruin your day. Let us know how the disconnect works out for you.

Phil
Old 01-22-2011, 05:27 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Thanks, guys. Although I've yet to permanently install a voltmeter, I DO use my Radar/Laser Detector to display voltage at all times (I'm keenly aware of voltages at all times,..watching it just like I watch the temp gauge [[[religiously]]]). It saved my **** before, notifying me of an over-voltage condition (audibly),..THAT resulted in a fresh alternator/VR install....the removed alt/VR was the ORIGINAL! Been fine ever since....

Best to all

Doyle
The following users liked this post:
ChrisTyler (04-13-2020)
Old 01-22-2011, 06:18 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

My transponder is hard wired in so my switch is off any time the car is not running.

Quick Reply: Simply,..a BIG Battery install,..1989