Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Inertial Reel Belts and Kids

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2003, 03:48 PM
9XI
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Question Inertial Reel Belts and Kids

I had a recent experience that concerns me about kids using inertial reel 3-point belts in the 964 Porsche. Scared the heck out of me. I need a solution, pronto.

I have the Star Riser booster seat (same seat as Porsche booster seat) for my son who is almost 4 years old (and as big as most 6 year olds). He fidgets around a lot, particularly to see around the seat backs. Just try to get kids to sit still back there -- even after explaining every 2 minutes for the last 2 months that he MUST sit flat against the back of his seat to remain safe.

Sure enough, I had to slam on the brakes last weekend and he was leaning forward a bit. He hit the seat back -- hard. He received a nasty bruise on his face, complained about a headache and earache. No serious injury occurred because his impact was less than severe (no accident resulted). I suspect that a major impact from a head-on or sideswipe, etc, could have been fatal.

My tenative plan is to use one of the clips that are provided with baby seats to solidify the interial reel belt and make it, in effect, a three point fixed belt. I want my beloved son strapped to that seat back like he was in a racing seat.

Here are the questions. Are there any alternative points of view on this? Are there other solutions? For example, do genuine fixed 3-point belts exist for installation in our late model Porsches? What about other kid seats? Do they make racing style harnesses/seats for kids that would fit in the back seat? Are there 5 point harnesses for the rear?
Old 03-07-2003, 07:44 PM
Dan
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
9XI- I have a worked out a 5pt harness system for my daughter (3) and in the finishing stages of one for my son (5-1/2). He rides in the back now with a 3pt retractable and H clip to keep him from coming to far forward. I have had no problems. The main reason for the devopling a 5pt for my son besides the safety issue is he thinks its cool. My one advantage is I have a 71T and the rear jump seats that I am hacking up and modifing were only $50. You can click on the link below in my sig and see a pick of my kids in the back. If you would like more info email me. I am afraid though to do anything other then a 3pt system you will be doing some drilling and cutting. You might check into some early rear seats from places like Parts Heaven to adapt to your back seat area and take yours out and save them.
Old 03-08-2003, 01:27 PM
Derrick B.
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glad your son is OK. You must have been very upset. Like you, I love taking the kids for rides in the 911. Just a few thoughts.

My California Highway Patrol brother in-law tells me that you really need to use the "h-clip" to lock the belts into position on ANY three point seatbelt you use. He's seen a lot of accidents. Apparently, the inertial reels allow less rapid deceleration of an adult, but as you unfortunately found, allow too much movement for a child seat. Honda, Lexus, BMW, Porsche - use the clip.

New baby seats include a strap and hook that can anchor to a post on the rear parcel shelf to keep the seat from tipping forward. (Why didn't I think of that?) Perhaps you could install a post? It would probably require you to put a hole through the parcel shelf, though. If you look in the rear window of any 2002 car, you'll see the anchor point. A neatly done job wouldn't detract very much from the appearance of your RSA. Great looking car, BTW.

Wish I could be more help.
Old 03-10-2003, 03:34 PM
9XI
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Thank you for your replies. Has anyone any advice on how to "lock" the inertial reel? What I really need is a way to make what I've got a "fixed" three-point belt, like is on the front seats of my 1969 S. Any ideas?
Old 03-10-2003, 09:00 PM
Richard Pankhurst
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
9XI - I have an '89 Coupe (old body style) with rear inertia belts. In my '89 manual is a picture of the strap hook/anchor for the baby seat. Unfortunately it is for the Canadian market only as noted in the manual. However you may want to fabricate this same mount for a US car. Email me offline for a scanned page from the manual. Hope this helps!

Quick Reply: Inertial Reel Belts and Kids