Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

NEW 1988 Factory Turbo Look Cab. purchase!

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2003, 10:33 PM
Dr.Chris
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post NEW 1988 Factory Turbo Look Cab. purchase!

I've recently purchased a 1988 factory Turbo Look cab with 87,000 miles to complement my 1991C2Turbo garage queen. I plan on driving it most everyday and was wondering what I can expect to recoop say 2-3 years down the road if I put say 20,000 more miles on it. Other than the wide body option it is a fairly low optioned car with just cruise control and a $1400 upgraded stereo. It has a manual top (which I like). Interior driver seat is quite beat up but has nice seat covers so it looks fine. The color scheme is White/Linen with a dark blue top. It also has an upgraded performance A.P.E. chip and all proper mantenance records from day one. Also are there any major weaknesses with this model I should be watching out for in the near future. Right now it doesn't leak a drop of oil. Thanks in advance
Old 03-06-2003, 11:36 PM
J-McDonald
Pro

Assuming that it's a turbo-look cab (not a turbo), with that mileage it should have gone for ~$25k. It's depreciation is most likely pretty much done - assuming you maintain it properly (the 90k service isn't cheap!), it shouldn't be worth very much less (if anything) with 107k in two or three years - maybe $2 or 3K less. It will, however, be somewhat harder to sell due to the (misplaced, IMHO) apprehension that some people have about 100k+ mile cars.

As for weaknesses, some 3.2 Carrera motors had weak valve guides that wear out in the 70k mileage range - if you car's guides are good with 87k, it's very likely that they won't be a problem for you.

Good luck!
Old 03-07-2003, 02:34 AM
Paul491 Cadrobbi
Instructor

Cool

Congratulations on you Turbo-Look acquisition! In 1988 there were a total of 155 Factory Turbo Look cars produced. 29 Coupes, 18 Targas and 108 Cabriolets. I've been the owner of an '84 Coupe for over six years now. At purchase, my car had a little over 110,000 miles on the odometer and now has close to 175,000. I've had no major problems outside of normal maintenance and typical upgrades. It makes a great a daily driver.

Original Factory Turbo-Look cars can be identified by the M-491 Option which originated with the 1973 RSR 2.8 Carreras and defined all subsequent 930s until 1989. I strongly believe that these low production cars are under rated and under valued. This makes them a great bargain especially when comparing the cost of modifying a narrow body into a Factory spec wide body. For this very reason, many of the original Factory Turbo-Look cars were systematically converted into dedicated track cars which now makes them even scarcer than their low production numbers indicate.

Please feel free to visit our group at:

<a href="http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/Porsche911FactoryTurbo-LookCars/" target="_blank">http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/Porsche911FactoryTurbo-LookCars/</a>

Enjoy!
Old 03-07-2003, 01:16 PM
Dave Thomas
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd think the car should pretty much hold it's value over the next several years - I wouldn't expect it to depreciate, and if you keep the miles down it could appreciate. Good purchase!
Old 03-08-2003, 09:43 AM
Dr.Chris
Advanced

Well this makes me feel pretty good. It is a M-491, and so far so good. If I can break even and enjoy the looks she recieves all the better. Thanks, maybe you'll see it in the classified ads in a few years (maybe NOT)

Quick Reply: NEW 1988 Factory Turbo Look Cab. purchase!