911SC Wrist Pin

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2002, 12:38 PM
emac
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 911SC Wrist Pin

Can anyone help?
I have a 81SC and about a week ago I over red lined it. Started to hear a rapping noise at idle. I took it to my mechanic and he informed me that it was a wrist pin/.He didnt seem concerned and found the rev limiter was not working. I had the distributor repared and was sent on my way. The knock is not that bad but I am very worried about driving the car with this condition. Do I trust him and drive or am I looking at a rebuild.
Thanks
Ernie
Old 04-23-2002, 03:06 PM
Howard
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK, get a new mechanic !

If it indeed the wrist pin ( which I doubt, the wrist pin is retained by a clip) I would not run the engine. If you over-revved it, you probably have bent valves, in some cases broken rocker arms, as in my over rev incident on the track. You will also most likely have cam scoring, and/or damage to a piston or 2.
Flatbed it to a reputable shop( not the one you've visited recently) for evaluation. Have them do a compression check and you'll find the problem quickly.

Good luck !
Old 04-23-2002, 10:06 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Ernie:

Like Howard said, its likely that you have bent valves as the rev limiter doesn't always protect you from events like that. I would NOT run the engine until a full diagnosis is made.

A leakdown test will tell you lots more more than a compression test, though.

Have them R&R the valve covers and check all the rockers and cam lobes. I would also inspect the cam chains, tensioners and ramps.

Quick Reply: 911SC Wrist Pin