Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

SC owners: Pros/cons of removing air pump

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2002, 12:55 AM
J-RAD
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Post SC owners: Pros/cons of removing air pump

I'm wondering how many of you have removed or thought of removing your air pump system. My understanding is that it's part of the emissions control system for N/A cars, so I imagine this would be considered a sin in Cali...but how about the rest of you? Is there any advantage/disadvantage to removing it? Does it really impact the emissions that much? Does it potentially just divert a little power given that it's belt driven? or can it be considered dead weight? Just looking for some thoughts on the issue.
Old 04-23-2002, 12:59 AM
Chris Martin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Air pump? You dont need know stinkin' air pump!

Seriously though, I have to admit I have never seen an SC with one. I am sure there is a function, but, I'll just say my car doesnt have one.

I might not be in compliance with the law 100%, but if my car passes emissions it passes, no matter what equipment installed.
Old 04-23-2002, 09:39 PM
H. D. Smith
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My car is not an SC...but with my air pump removed the damn thing would not pass the emissions here in Albuquerque NM. As soon as it was connected it passed...so it must do something. So I have it on since I really don't notice a change either way.
Old 04-24-2002, 12:12 AM
Speedraser
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The air pump was not used in '80-'83 US cars, which had a 3-way Lambda system that did away with the need for the air pump. The Euro cars did have the air pump, however. I have no knowledge as to how effective it is, nor how much power it consumes. I don't think you should complain too much, however, since your air-pumped Euro SC makes 204hp while my air-pumpless US SC makes only 180 (or 172 SAE, but that makes it sound even worse).

Quick Reply: SC owners: Pros/cons of removing air pump