Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

My dog ears point me to the source...

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 07:38 AM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My dog ears point me to the source...

Thought something sounded a little "different" back there............('89 Coupe). Found my airbox with a small gap at the bottom (where the filter resides) due to the plastic piece on the airbox (that the retainer grabs) being broken....dammit!

I saw one thread where a Gent simply mounted (via hardware from the drape store) an L-shaped bracket for the retaining clip (clasp) to grab. I'm not to frikin' keen on placing any hardware on the intake side of that airbox, as it would be hell to pay should it come lose and head inwards toward the intake...looks like I'll replace the airbox. Unless someone has a great repair idea..................

Any of you guys know a good source for these airboxes? Search will continue today....did see one on FleaBay for $250 smackeronies.........(ouch)

MAN,..this fix list is growing.

Happy Holidays to all!

Doyle
Old 12-19-2010, 09:13 AM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 233 Posts

Restored my 88 to a stock airbox from a K&N that the PO had installed.

Suncoast Porsche in Sarasota was able to source one from Germany when everyone else said there weren't any to be found anywhere.

Happy hunting,

Geno
Old 12-19-2010, 10:34 AM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe a good used piece from DC Auto, or Oklahoma Foreign, among others. If I may suggest with great trepidation, you may be able to stroll into Auto Atlanta and deal directly with them, although they have a horrible reputation for customer service. It counts for something if you can see a used part before you pay for it.
Old 12-19-2010, 11:43 AM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

I hear ya' Bird. The first thing I'd look for is faint cracking of the tabs for the clips!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for source, Geno. How much is a new one?

Thanks,

Doyle
Old 12-19-2010, 03:04 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

wb is right on. Get eyes on the used part, especially plastic parts. I would try a repair on the old one first with epoxy and metal/ rivets.
Old 12-19-2010, 04:10 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 96 Posts

Hi Doyle,

To help in the search, I have attached the appropriate pages from PET.

It looks like you are looking for 930 110 343 01

Sonnen Porsche has it listed for $170. I have used Sonnen and they are top notch. Similar experinences with Sunset too. These are both Porsche dealers so you will have OE for sure:

http://www.porscheoemparts.com/partl...&siteid=215405

Good luck my man,

Allan

Last edited by 500; 07-29-2014 at 01:17 PM.
Old 12-19-2010, 04:40 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Allan,, I've got the part numbers already, but appreciate your data, bro. I'd MUCH rather have a new one than a used one. I may call Hennessy Porsche/Atlanta and see what they can get (and for what)?

Thanks for the suggestions. I appreciate it, as always.

Best to you and yours',

Doyle
Old 12-19-2010, 04:50 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Yes, Rusnak,

I found the piece that cracked off the main housing (A piece of this piece was missing but still enough material to attempt reattachment). Inanaycase,.,I may very well try to epoxy this piece back and see if it holds for a bit (geeze,..I've footwell blowers to get yet......).

Best,

Doyle
Old 12-19-2010, 05:18 PM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

The new airbox was $217.64 in Feb 2009...also bought the hardware pack that goes with it...think it was about $30...real happy with it...the K&N "wheezed" every time I hit the accelerator and it was annoying.
Old 12-19-2010, 06:40 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Thanks, Geno. I've sent a request in to the Porsche Dealer in Atlanta, for reference. They offer the PCA discount but I'm unsure as to the percentage...will know more Monday. What items were in the "hardware pack" ? nuts and washers?

Just stock, for me (filter, too). Never tried a K&N. Wonder what this "wheezing" was, exactly?

Gonna look at repair of the box this evening.....(for now)..

Later,

Doyle
Old 12-19-2010, 07:40 PM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Having a hard time making heads or tails out of the hardware pack I referenced...there are a few parts listed on my receipt but they don't seem to match...a call to Pelican should clear up exactly what you need in addition to the airbox hardware wise...they were some screws and a clamp I think.

The more I return my car to stock the better it gets...the K&N stopped the noise, replacing the performance chip with the original stock chip made the engine run better, installing the O2 sensor improved fuel mileage, replacing the tired bushings in the shifter and pedals smoothed everything out...I think the engineers had these cars pretty well sorted out. One big exception is the air conditioning...went with a Griffith's and am very satisfied.

Geno

Geddy, Alex, and Neil rock!
Old 12-20-2010, 10:03 AM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Pavegeno928
Having a hard time making heads or tails out of the hardware pack I referenced...there are a few parts listed on my receipt but they don't seem to match...a call to Pelican should clear up exactly what you need in addition to the airbox hardware wise...they were some screws and a clamp I think.

The more I return my car to stock the better it gets...the K&N stopped the noise, replacing the performance chip with the original stock chip made the engine run better, installing the O2 sensor improved fuel mileage, replacing the tired bushings in the shifter and pedals smoothed everything out...I think the engineers had these cars pretty well sorted out. One big exception is the air conditioning...went with a Griffith's and am very satisfied.

Geno

Geddy, Alex, and Neil rock!
Its an expensive lesson learned. very few pieces out there that improve the original package.
"one sniff at the hydrant..."
Old 12-20-2010, 05:10 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by whalebird
Its an expensive lesson learned. very few pieces out there that improve the original package.
"one sniff at the hydrant..."
"the response is automatic"............

I rx'd the quote from the dealer today,..for a brand new one: see attachment...not sure what the hey they're talking about.
Old 12-20-2010, 05:12 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Sorry guys,..here's the attachment and their email response:

Doyle,

It retails for 227.61 and your cost would be 193.47.

Here is the illustration from PET.

I contacted PCNA to try and find out what the conversion is but I will need your VIN number and then I will have to send it to Germany for a response.

Regards,

Kenn
Attached Images  
Old 12-20-2010, 05:13 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Anyone have any ideas why they are complicating a simple issue? (what "mod"?

Thanks,

Doyle

Quick Reply: My dog ears point me to the source...