Bumper restoration and mod

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 11:27 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by nolift911
Where is the "well proven" evidence of this "safety system" ... I would really like to see...

Holy Mackerel!!!! Haha...you're obsessed!!

Re-read posts #3, #9, #11, #16....or don't, I don't care

I keep hearing these are part of a "system" ? It's a bumper attached to a chassis...also in terms of the 911 and safety, unless I am unaware the 911 shell had remained unchanged from the 60's, 70's, 80's - automobile safety had come a long way. Not sure Porsche adopted much if any other than 5mph tumors.
We call them "Impact Bumper 911s" for years 1974 through 1989. Why? Because they have impact bumpers

If I am wrong please correct. I guess the funny part about people touting a part of the 911 as a "safety feature" and should not be removed - on the very chassis that has not changed in 30-40 years? Crumple zones?

Just don't take those tumors off - now your 911 is unsafe.... Show me the proven facts of this safety system please...
Look, whoever you are. You obviously have a LOT invested emotionally or financially or whatever in your bumperette delete. Or maybe you're really really proud of your work. Either way, go for it like Iceman says. Knock yourself out.

This forum is for sharing info, personal anecdotes, insight, observations, opinions, etc etc. Do whatever to your car that makes you happy. But as for this forum, you come across like a crass know-it-all who in fact is a total *** and ignoramus. You should tone down your attitude right quick and allow for some others with opinions different from yours to voice theirs without being subject to your ****storm of ignorant rants.
Old 12-29-2010, 04:18 PM
Phil Ehlen
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For those who are interested, I have a few more pics and progress to report.

A couple of updates on the bumper portion of this project:

* based on other threads and info I found online, I elected to fill the bumperette mounting holes with JB Weld instead of having them welded. I think this will just as good and will be more easily undone in the future.

* the bumper is coming along great - it has been unusually cold this December and even with the heater on in the garage, I have had to pick my days for painting. I currently have the bumper painted and sanded and will pick up the base and clear coat tomorrow. Looks like a good painting day on Friday!!

"While I was in there" I decided to disassemble and refurb the rear tail lights. As with most things on the car so far, they are in OK shape, but have some issues starting (rust and rot) that are best knocked out early. I ordered new seals but just did a complete cleaning, painting and polishing to get a very noticeable upgrade in appearance. This will spawn another upgrade, however, as I have been reading all I can on the LED upgrade and will be doing that later this winter.

The deterioration of the black painted edges is clear in this picture (ha! no pun intended).

This picture shows the refurbished lens back on the car.

This picture shows the dirver's side lens that has not been refurbished. It is more subtle on a black car, but repainting the edges black makes a difference.

Last edited by Phil Ehlen; 12-29-2010 at 06:16 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 12-29-2010, 05:16 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

IT WORKED

That is exactly what I need to do. Thank you so much for the tip. I have one tail lens that looks to have the clear boarder and the other that looks black. Will be included in my next project.

did you do any scotch bright or 0000 steal wool prep ?
Old 12-29-2010, 06:15 PM
Phil Ehlen
Track Day

Originally Posted by amber lamps
IT WORKED

That is exactly what I need to do. Thank you so much for the tip. I have one tail lens that looks to have the clear boarder and the other that looks black. Will be included in my next project.

did you do any scotch bright or 0000 steal wool prep ?
I used 0000 steel wool and used a light touch. It looks even better in live and in person.
Old 12-30-2010, 03:36 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Here's a little tip that you won't find out anyplace else. While the bumperettes are off the bumper inspect them. When these things are molded they frequently have voids on them on the back side (the part you don't see when they are mounted). Also, near the retaining bolts, there is raw untreated steel there. Get yourself something like resin to cover up the voids, and also treat the base of the threads. That area gets ignored for years so you have to be proactive.

Many of these bumperettes have rusted--from the inside, over time.
Old 12-30-2010, 05:18 PM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

Dan,

Thanks for the tip

John
Old 12-30-2010, 06:37 PM
CT Mike
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 26 Posts

Nolift911 - Hi. Thats a nice look! Did you make the insert between the taillights or did you buy it? Mike
Old 12-30-2010, 10:18 PM
Phil Ehlen
Track Day

My passenger side bumperette and bumper rubber were both toast - rusted inside.

BTW, picked up my paint today and applied it. Looks great right now, pics to come. I have a lot to say about doing this two part paint job in a make shift booth in my garage. Probably won't do it again, but I really to try my hand at painting.
Old 12-30-2010, 11:14 PM
ian
Nordschleife Master

Received 65 Likes on 37 Posts

Phil,

You are putting some great work into the bumper, cannot wait to see the results when you are done. Where in SC are you? I am thinking about doing something similar to the bumper on my SC and would like to check it out in person if you are close to the border, or perhaps in Cola given that I am down there once every couple of months.
Old 12-31-2010, 12:05 AM
jakeflyer
Pro

NOw that you got everybody frothy over your bumpers, please dont mention a color change or the best oil to use.
Old 12-31-2010, 01:11 AM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what is it about SCs in SC?
Old 01-02-2011, 01:52 PM
nolift911
Advanced

Originally Posted by CT Mike
Nolift911 - Hi. Thats a nice look! Did you make the insert between the taillights or did you buy it? Mike
Not sure which insert you are talking about...? Tailights and bumper? If so that is the stock rubber trim - no mods.
Old 01-02-2011, 05:52 PM
Phil Ehlen
Track Day

Nearing the end...

I was able to get everything painted last Thursday and wrapped up polishing and installation today. This has been a blast and the results have exceeded my expectations, frankly.

My make-shift paint booth:

The bumper just after the clear coat (I used Sherwin Williams 2 step):

Ah Ha! Something useful for my bumperettes to do:

After color sanding and the second level of buffing - mirror-like!

Installed:

Dirty car, but outside after a quick spin around the block:

All in all, this was a challenge but very rewarding - and I love the look. I will be getting some LED license plate screws and wiring those up for the license plate lights. and that will be it for this project.
Old 01-02-2011, 06:23 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Looks cleaner....now about that rubber trim!
Old 01-02-2011, 07:50 PM
Phil Ehlen
Track Day

Lol

If the car wasn't black, I would have shaved that too.

Hmmmm. Now I'm thinking...

Quick Reply: Bumper restoration and mod