Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

My first Oil change for 1986 911..

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 08:21 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes,..fresh sealing rings......(as Ice mentioned).

I always do my oil analysis, as well, with Staveley's Lab.

Whatever you do,..don't overfill........

Best,

Doyle
Old 12-08-2010, 09:19 PM
ScottCC
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't know the details but I was told that due to the damage to the oil lines, it wasn't getting correct oil flow and damaged the engine so it required a rebuild. Maybe it got too hot?? That was the end result.
Anyway, got the oil (Mobil 15-50) and filter and going to stop at the dealer tomorrow for some new plug "O" rings. Should be fun.
Thanks...will update.
Old 12-08-2010, 09:40 PM
sig_a
Pro

No O rings. You want 2 flat aluminum washers. They are identical, but the plugs are not. Porsche dealers are generally a big help. If you are a member of PCA dealers discount all parts 10 percent. Not likely these will be the last parts you need, and dealers will compete with online suppliers. PCA is something like $45 per year and well worth it.
Old 12-08-2010, 09:59 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ScottCC
Don't know the details but I was told that due to the damage to the oil lines, it wasn't getting correct oil flow and damaged the engine so it required a rebuild. Maybe it got too hot?? That was the end result.
Anyway, got the oil (Mobil 15-50) and filter and going to stop at the dealer tomorrow for some new plug "O" rings. Should be fun.
Thanks...will update.
I'm not sure which API Mobile One you're using,..but you may want to look into what's being loaded...we all know the infamous "oil thread",..and it's notions of Zinc and Phosphorous,..................

I wouldn't run current M/One in my car....but that's just me.

Doyle
Old 12-09-2010, 12:33 AM
GlennD
Racer

Curious ... when I see all the statements of "do not overfill", what is considered overfill (e.g. just over the fill line when the engine is hot) and what are the consequences of slight overfill? Could someone please educate me on this?

I looked for the information ... did not pop up for me on a search.

Thanks
Glenn

Last edited by GlennD; 12-09-2010 at 01:08 AM.
Old 12-09-2010, 02:57 AM
GlennD
Racer

Okay ... more time spent on search and I got the following:

1) do not overfill ... but no mention on what overfill is of worry. I see statements like "if over the line, just drive the p$ss out of it and the level will straighten itself out".

2) I did not really see much of an explanation of potential damage other than getting oil into the intake (and the associated smoke). What mechanical damage can be done to the engine on an overfill?

Thanks ... sorry, just learning the 911 world as most of my previous time was spent learning the front end of a 928 (and the underneath)

Cheers
Glenn
Old 12-09-2010, 11:42 AM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

GlenD. When the system is overfilled, that oil can get sucked into the intake and go into the combustion chambers. A little may not affect the running...you'll just have a lot of smoke. If too much is ingested in the intake, the plugs will foul and it will run like crap. I don't know if excessive pressure builds up in the engine with too much, but on other engines it causes leaks and perpheral damage. I suggest you heed the advice given as we've all been there. Always check the oil on the dipstick with the engine at operating temps at or abouve 180-190 degrees. Do not rely on the guage only. Many times they are incorrect. I always check the oil cooler lines going to the front cooler to ensure the thermostat has opened. Unless it is open, you will get erroneous readings. When those lines are hot to the touch...check the level on the dipstick. Remember to be on level ground. A rule of thumb is to fill to half way on the dipstick. This way you ensure you have enough, but not too much in the system. With a newly drained system, I initially put in 10 qts and proceed from there with a quart os until I get to the level I want. When I fill to half way, the needle on my guage reads about 2/3 up on the scale.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-09-2010, 12:47 PM
Marlon Targa 86
Racer

One thing that I experienced when pouring in oil, was that the gauge and dipstick level ( if I remember correctly) readings don't increase gradually as you are pouring in oil. It's not because you poured in 20% of the oil, you'll get a 20% reading.

As I was pouring in oil, I wasn't getting any readings. It was only until the last quart of oil that I added, that all of the sudden I started getting a read on the gauge and dipstick. And because of that I overfilled. I thought because I wasn't getting any reads, I should just keep pouring in oil. But all of the sudden the gauge shot up very quickly

Makes sense?

Marlon
Old 12-09-2010, 01:58 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's why I put in 10 quarts initially and as soon as it gets hot, I check the level. If I have to add more, I do it in half quart increments until the oil level on the dipstick is at mid point. Again, the oil needs to be hot (operating temperatures). I wait a few minutes and recheck and then see where the guage level is. On my guage, when the dipstick is a mid-point, the needle is at approximately 2/3 or 2 o'clock.
Old 12-09-2010, 03:33 PM
GlennD
Racer

Gentlemen,

thank-you for the explanations - helps.

Like everyone here, I also want to ensure I do not overfill (anything). But I was curious as to the impacts of just above the full line (on a warm engine looking at the dipstick). With your help, I now understand better

Oh yes ... I believe I am supposed to post a photo with my first posts (on this forum).

Cheers
Glenn
Attached Images   
Old 12-12-2010, 09:17 PM
ScottCC
8th Gear

Went great! Piece of cake...like you said..."why have I been paying so much?" Next time, I'll just do it in my garage without the lift...no problem.
thanks
Old 12-12-2010, 09:52 PM
blake
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats! The first time I changed oil on my 964, i raised the car high on my new lift and pee'd oil all over the floor (it comes out fast!). I had to 1) invest in kitty litter to clean it up and 2) barely raise the lift anymore when changing the oil.

Nothing feels better than saving significant money and learning all the tricks by doing it yourself!

-B
Old 12-12-2010, 11:52 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,051 Likes on 748 Posts

good job. Wehn i do mine i don't lift at all .. i drive the last km or so to my house in a low gear so the temp spikes and the stat is open. I always have my wrench and pans ready .. i get out after turning off the car , walk around back , undo the plugs and I usually get about 11.5 quarts out or so . i also unplug the fuel relay until the oil is back in and i see oil pressure from cranking.
Old 05-28-2011, 10:22 PM
Ron Pedley
3rd Gear

Default Engine stall when oil cap is released

Hi.
I just had a major tune up on my 1986 911. Now the engine dies when I take off the oil cap. I've had the car 5 years and this has never happened before. The previous owner of 20 yrs. also never had this issue. My mechanic says it's a 'closed system' and needs that seal. So now I have to fake it out by sealing with my hand and sneaking the dip stick in in between my fingers quickly before it dies.
Normal?
Thanks,
Ron
Old 05-28-2011, 11:33 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 52 Posts

No, something is wrong. Your RPM's are too low to begin with perhaps, and when you remove the cap, the normal drop in R's is too low. You may have another vacuum leak somewhere.

Hint: Bandwidth is cheap. Post a new thread with your dilemna in the title if you want some anwers. But, welcome.

Quick Reply: My first Oil change for 1986 911..