Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

'87 Carrera coupe lock problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 03:28 PM
Cowhorn
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Default '87 Carrera coupe lock problem

Hello, all. I did a search on this but came up empty. I am hoping someone can help with a small problem I am having with my '87 Carrera.

The car has the central lock mechanism. It unlocks both doors just fine. However, when I lock the car either with the button inside the car or with the key in the door, the passenger door does not lock. I have to manually depress the lock to lock the door. Again, both doors unlock, but the passenger door will not lock via the automatic central mechanism.

Any ideas? Easy fix?
Old 12-01-2010, 06:47 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

You may find that the right side mechanism is out of alignment. Or the rod fell out of the slot. It's a relatively simple thing to work on. Take all of the right door panel material off (top cap, panel, pocket, etc.) and get into the mechanism of the door lock actuator. Determine if that actuator is getting power (it mostly likely is). But also check to see that the actuator is not slipping on occasion when it comes to locking that door.

I would rate this in the fairly easy category.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:16 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cowhorn, I had this same problem 2 years ago. I found the ball socket on the rod that fits over the ball on the mechanism had cracked and the rod wouldn't stay on the mechanism, therefore it wouldn't stay locked. I tried ordering a separate socket end (usually screws on the rod), but they are no longer available. There are 2 options for you. 1) buy a new Central Locking System Door Operating Rod P/N 964-537-571-00 from Pelican for $5.25. 2) Pelican also has a ball socket that fits on the automatic heating controller on some cars. My 88 Carrarea has it. If you go this route they are P/N 999-168-021-40 at $2.25 ea. or you can go to a Porsche dealer and get them.
Old 12-01-2010, 11:00 PM
Carrera3.2LG50
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cowhorn, I'll be watching this thread with interest since I have the exact same issue you have described with my '87 coupe - I just have not gotten around to looking at it yet.
Old 12-02-2010, 09:55 AM
Cowhorn
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks a lot guys. I appreciate the replies.

Edgy, you make it sound like this is a very straight-forward repair/access job. Are there any hidden pitfalls into which I may fall? Are there many screws to remove in order to get the door panel off?

Thanks again.

Quick Reply: '87 Carrera coupe lock problem