Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

First time at the track in the 911

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 06:19 PM
jsabatini
Drifting

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by g-50cab
They r and r camshafts and they didn't notice any play in the valves? Usually a trained eye-feel will show excessive play.
They R&R the camshaft oil lines, if that is different from what you are saying?
Old 11-18-2010, 07:36 PM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Yes. Lines external. Camshafts internal. Camshafts someone will pit on the older Carreras specially with crummy oil we have.
Old 11-18-2010, 07:37 PM
g-50cab
Drifting

Last valve adjustment? You can tell by wiggling. Or getting smoke when you create a vacuum in the engine.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:38 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

I would check the pedal cluster. It can get all ****ted up down there, the bushings wear and can bind. Did you money shift?
Old 11-18-2010, 09:07 PM
GT9111
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sig_a
It's been known to happen that 911 throttles stick open when the lower hose clamp screw securing the 90 degree rubber elbow running between mass air flow and the throttle body jams throttle wide open. Check the correct alignment of the lower hose clamp below.

Cruise control electronic box under dash can also go on/off unexpectedly, which is why mine is long gone.
Very clean engine!!
Old 11-18-2010, 10:42 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

This is a 125K otherwise original engine? Of course it needs valve guides. But that doesn't mean you can't run it hard. As long as it's not overreved and you have sufficient oil you're not going to "blow it up"merely from track use.

Don't follow the comment at all about low/lower oil level and decreased oil pressure. Operating temperature, oil viscosity/type, the pump and engine speed determine oil pressure. Whether you have another quart static in the tank doesn't matter, except in terms of an overfill and consumption through the breather/intake.
Old 11-19-2010, 07:17 AM
jsabatini
Drifting

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Again thanks to everyone for the replies!

Originally Posted by g-50cab
Last valve adjustment? You can tell by wiggling. Or getting smoke when you create a vacuum in the engine.
Valve adjust was also done at the 125K service, that was the main reason for taking it in. My plan was to do it myself with the help of my father-in-law but did not have the time on the weekends.

Originally Posted by race911
This is a 125K otherwise original engine? Of course it needs valve guides. But that doesn't mean you can't run it hard. As long as it's not overreved and you have sufficient oil you're not going to "blow it up"merely from track use.

Don't follow the comment at all about low/lower oil level and decreased oil pressure. Operating temperature, oil viscosity/type, the pump and engine speed determine oil pressure. Whether you have another quart static in the tank doesn't matter, except in terms of an overfill and consumption through the breather/intake.
Sufficient oil? Where on the dipstick is sufficient oil? After one of my sessions I did check the oil and it was between the marks but closer to the bottom mark so I added half a quart. Wanted to add a quart but was afraid that would overfill it. What is the amount of oil to take it from bottom mark to top mark? Did not want to overfill it.
Old 11-20-2010, 01:19 PM
g-50cab
Drifting

I wouldnt worry as much about oil level unless you are near the max level on a warm engine.

Two real ways to check for valve guides. First is to pull the valve covers , cycle the engine and when the camshaft is not pressing against the wiggle the valve stem. Excessive wiggle usually means wear. Especially look at 3 and 6.
Old 11-20-2010, 01:22 PM
g-50cab
Drifting

The second way is to take to 6000 rpms in 2nd gear an then let off letting the engine brake the car. The vacuum will typically suck oil though the guides and produce plenty is smoke
Old 11-20-2010, 01:31 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your going to have a hard time wiggling the valve stem - it will still have spring pressure on it. Valve guides are a tough diagnosis. You just have to know what to look for. Closed throttle decel - smoking, puff of smoke when back on throttle. More and more smoke, and possibly an audible ticking when they get advanced wear on them. Others here may have some tricks to help.
Old 11-20-2010, 02:43 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Why is there even a desire to assess valve guide wear on an engine north of 100K miles? They're worn, get over it. It does NOT mean they're due for replacement. If you're trying to stretch it to 150+K, fine. You're just kicking the ball down the road for the next owner. (Just don't pretend when you sell an car with an engine that's not been apart by that mileage, to a knowledgeable purchaser, that you won't be discounting it.) If you're keeping the car "forever," might as well budget for it since few of these cars will see another 100-150K miles.

As I always say, if valve guides were as easy to change as brakes (even if not as cheap), they'd get done as a matter of course along the way by obsessive owners. At these mileages, the engine either burns oil to the extent it bothers an owner, or it doesn't.

Now if you're trying to determine the quality or mileage of a rebuild during a PPI, then there's some validity in digging that deep.

Quick Reply: First time at the track in the 911