Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

A detailing day.....exhausting

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 05:26 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Geeze,..you guys are relentless!

Firstly, I don't have my cam right now (as I'm consistent is having to buy a new one each year due to one reason or another?. The most recent replacement camera is on loan to the Daughter (which hasn't provided a good history, but what can I say: she's my daughter...I think I'll get her a camera this holiday season. Maybe she'll take better care of something she owns instead of my stuff...;-) )

wOOtPorsche: go for it, as it's fine by me bro'! I still have the violin out of it's case and am still playing a bit of the blues (pain),..makes no difference without camera. I will work on my "strength"......

I even thought about providing previous detailing photos, but remembered that my main server (yes, that's what I run at home) is in with my tech to remedy the remnants of a nasty virus. I was able to get the virus removed then attempted repair of what seemed to be a simple DHCP problem that turned into one weird situation...the TCP/IP stack was damaged (my repair of the stack didn't fix it)...attempted socket repairs, DLL's and registry work,..with no success...couldn't fathom a reload of the OS so I turned it over to my GURU. He now has it fixed and I should have her back tomorrow....not to ramble.

Back to point, I don't know jack about paint and such, but am a eager student in learning more. I have some troubled areas that I need to work on but don't know exactly what I'm up against. At least I know enough to NOT grab a buffer and start whacking away. Therefore the RA to save me. Product selection is a mystery to me (so far). I used the Megquire's Polish (after a nice claying), applying with the RA (just like the videos on youtube and other sites), removing by hand. I later came in with some coats of carnuba (application and removal) by hand (THAT'S what killed me,..I don't know why I didn't attempt waxing with the RA, as I had any/all pads necc'y......dumbarse me).

I've some stuff on the roof that I'm unsure of...I think a crappy car cover has done it's deed but will defer to the Pros on this one.

Guys, I'm sorry for making the post of something that should demonstratively "show" something...I beg forgiveness......(kinda'). I'll see what I can do for you all....in the meantime, "patience is NOT a virtue".

Best to all.

Doyle
Old 11-08-2010, 05:31 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well. For now we will imagine, those Anniv. Eds are SO pretty.
"Illusion is painfully shattered right where discovery starts"
Old 11-08-2010, 05:57 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

You rascal,..(Bird)...your RUSH quotes always "nail" it (but don't they always?)...
Old 11-08-2010, 07:11 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 62 Posts

Here you go: My wife's ride. 18K miles, when you look at it you would think it was just driven off the lot. It is all about return of investment..how long can I possible keep it looking in "show car" perfect condition given the time I have to commit to it? A wet mirror like shine is on display on the first close up shot of the passenger side door. other car rewards your efforts anywhere close to a black colored one. I use Menzerna products for polish and like Griot's best of show wax and the Griot's clay.
Attached Images     

Last edited by w00tPORSCHE; 11-09-2010 at 09:16 AM.
Old 11-09-2010, 12:01 AM
whalebird
Race Car

I love the tulips. Black cars are very rewarding(and unforgiving). After starring into the reflection for a few hours, you start to see the difference in "blacks", from one carmaker to a next. Same thing with whites. Silvers are easy to overlook too. How black, silver, or white can a car be? There's a bunch of different ones.

Doyle, I can find a quote for most things: some joyous, some heavy. " buryed deep in our hearts"
Old 11-09-2010, 06:36 AM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by w00tPORSCHE
Here you go: My wife's ride. 18K miles, when you look at it you would think it was just driven off the lot. It is all about return of investment..how long can I possible keep it looking in "show car" perfect condition given the time I have to commit to it? A wet mirror like shine is on display on the first close up shot of the passenger side door. other car rewards your efforts anywhere close to a black colored one. I use Menzerna products for polish and like Griot's best of show wax and the Griot's clay. The full shot of the car was shot earlier this year in spring time.
THAT is bad-****!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-09-2010, 08:22 AM
Andy Kay
Rennlist Member

Looks great Amar! Nothing better than black!
Old 11-09-2010, 09:31 AM
whalebird
Race Car

w00t. I find that a good clay bar, polish, and wax(with a rotary style buffer) improves the finish beyond the factory's quality. It's amazing how much trash is in factory paint. I dedicated a few weekends to the paint on our 05 mercedes (pewter color) and it was way more slick than it ever was from new. I got a few compliments on it from the service advisor at the dealership, and from a few members from the benz owners club at a meeting. It just stood above the rest. The big payoff was when I sold it for more than I paid for it a couple of years later. That car had good paint from the start.
I did the same to my 09 F150(charcoal grey) and, yes it responded well, but the paint is pretty sorry from the factory - real "thin".
So shepp, its a good idea to get this done. Afterwards, a quality paste wax by hand is all the maintenance you need if you stay on top of it. I will occasionally polish with the buffer(polish adds "depth", especially to darker colors), and finish with a hand paste wax which adds a smooth "shine".
Old 11-09-2010, 12:33 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 62 Posts

Whale, think about all the bonded contaminants (brake dust, acid rain deposit, tree sap, tar) on the paint while the vehicle is being exposed to the elements during it's journey from Germany to the dealer and then on the dealer's lot. The claying process removes all those contaminants even on a brand new car and preps your paint surface for polish and the last step product (LSP in detailers lingo) which could be either wax or sealant. I even clay the windshield, makes my wipers last longer. Polish is ofcourse where all the magic happens. When it comes to waxes, I prefer the natural carnauba waxes for dark colored cars given the much greater depth and clarity while having gloss and shine, though the gloss and shine is more on the synthetic waxes and sealants. If one has a daily driver and does not have time to wax atleast three times a year then a sealant would make more sense for the LSP.
Old 12-26-2010, 09:06 AM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Realize it's been a while but having taken the wrath of Big Ed regarding pics, and my consistent (persistent?) excuse for either camera failure or "someone's borrowing it at present", I felt compelled to post some pics....let's see I've some low res stuff...over at a friends' house at late evening (not much natural light)....

Best,

Doyle
Attached Images      
Old 12-26-2010, 09:08 AM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

some more............
Attached Images      
Old 12-26-2010, 09:13 AM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

lastly.......to include some bonus shots of "things you should watch for during GA's winters (they'll really screw your day up, 4-sure.

Best to all who are nursing a hangover (small one) from being "festive" last night. Humbugging all morning (even with fresh ground cat**** beans.....walked outside at sunrise to see how things looked for the AM run and decided to not attempt 20W50 flow at 24 degrees,..be patient (Doyle),..let the morning move forward a bit...

Best to all,....believe it or not,..a bit of snow on the ground down South. mmmm,..a scenic "run"...

BEST TO ALL!!!!

Doyle
Attached Images     
Old 12-26-2010, 09:23 AM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

,..just to play,..here's a couple more of 2 freakazoids ready to provide ample body work needs to the car...

Doyle
Attached Images    
Old 12-26-2010, 11:32 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 56 Posts

Great pics-she look'd sweet!
Old 12-26-2010, 11:43 AM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

FINALLY,..THANKS, ED!!!!!!!!