Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

1982 SC.....total restore

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 09:10 AM
sobamaflyer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think Shannon has reached a decision and acknowledged all our views on this car.........but for the sake of argument:

Why are WE as 911 owners encouraging a steeper and steeper decline in the values of our cars? In several years of research before finally finding mine it seems pretty "normal" to pay $13-18k for a "nice" SC or Carrera. EVERYONE seems to tout that these are all $20k cars and I regularlly see folks still asking $20-30k (who knows if they get it) for low miles, pampered garage queens. This should hearten all of you with totally stock cars that your's are still worth a little more because they are original?!

These were produced in such numbers and this particular price range says to me as a long time car hobbyist that 100% authenticity is not a dead-on requirement. That seems to go to the folks willing to spend $50k+++ on concurs Pebble Beach cars with proper bolt orientation.

So my point is, lets ASSUME from this thread the seller is now asking ~$18k for a clean, checked out by PPI, very nice car. Who cares that it started life as a standard body Targa? The owner(s) will get no less, and maybe more, enjoyment out of it's current state, without all this history involved if he just posted it up as "look at my new car" many would drool (or be polite if it wasn't their bag) and compliment him.

So like I said, why do WE want the values of these toys to further decline before they stabilize and hopefully bounce back a little. I'd like to think that if this economy ever recovers from the sh!tter it's in I have something worth a few bucks sitting in the garage but if we keep forcing prices lower and lower it will be a lot longer in coming.

....stepping off the soapbox
Old 11-05-2010, 03:24 PM
jakeflyer
Pro

----- “So like I said, why do WE want the values of these toys to further decline before they stabilize and hopefully bounce back a little.------“

We DON’T want the value to drop. What is, is. Price is down from 4 years ago. It may be more stable to a little up over the last year. A low mile 911 is still a coveted item. However, the car in the discussion was not a premium buy 4 years ago and certainly not today. You should not pay the price of 4 years ago for a house in Florida or Vegas, nor should you consider a marginal neighborhood. Quality and price are the drivers here. Again, reality is prices are down but the SC and Carrera are cars that may survive this mess better than a lot of other things. The US dollar is being debased and worth less with the money printing press in DC running 24/7. This makes the Porsche in the US a better buy for other countries. As the cars go to Germany etc, prices may increase due to fewer cars.
Old 11-05-2010, 05:37 PM
sobamaflyer
Instructor

We aren't discussing houses that were $200k one year and $700k the next, we are talking about $15k automobiles here. I think the biggest reason they are down from 4 years ago is because so many are desperate to sell off whatever they can for whatever they can get because they are in trouble.

Just saying the internet is a powerful tool now, if the consensus in a respected knowledge base is that every single car not 100% original isn't worth jack then.....

Just answered my own question I don't want my prized toy to be worthless (highly un-original) and others are fighting to keep theirs (showroom models) worth more, nevermind, I'll shut up now.

Please god, don't make me HAVE to sell mine anytime soon
Old 11-05-2010, 06:33 PM
Shannon123
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sobamaflyer
I think the biggest reason they are down from 4 years ago is because so many are desperate to sell off whatever they can for whatever they can get because they are in trouble.
I would agree with this idea as well....case in point, my brother was a large RE developer in Dallas and when money FROZE, his business FROZE as well. He had 4 investment type corvettes at the time the money froze and thought he could sit out the downdraft......he was not able to and has slowly but surely been selling ALL of his toys...he is down to 1 now.
Old 11-05-2010, 06:51 PM
jakeflyer
Pro

Shannon, case in point--- now may be an ideal time for your 911----- just be REAL smart there is little room for major mistakes. Nice pine woods area you are in; a pretty 911 will make it even nicer.

Quick Reply: 1982 SC.....total restore