Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 11:06 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Another Porsche shop bites the dust

unfortunately.

I was talking to the Porsche dealer guys today, and one of their customers with a mint 86 (?) turbo with 16,000 miles came in for service. The owner bought $2K worth of clutch parts and then had the indy Porsche shop next door do the installation. Well, overnight one of the Porsches caught fire and burned the building down, destroying 8-10 Porsches including the mint 930. They said that this 930 was unbelievably mint. It looked like it was just driven off the showroom floor, with no leaks anywhere, and with the original factory gleam everywhere.

That's scratch two Porsche shops this year alone. No one left but my friend, who is retired, to work on Porsches around here.
Old 10-30-2010, 11:38 AM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sad. Running a Porsche indy shop is a labor of love - I've never known a Porsche tech/shop to make a ton of money. I hope the guy had an insurance policy. There's a good lesson here, if any good can come from this; support your Porsche independent service shop. His or her parts may be a bit higher in price, his labor may be a bit more $ than "the import connection" or somesuch you ring up from the yellow pages. He pays for insurance, he has the right tools and the experiance to make your car and you happy.
I hope the Porsche service in your area recovers Rusnak. I hope the shop's owners and employees can pick up where they left off.
Old 10-30-2010, 11:10 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mike is trying. I stopped by to wish him much luck.
Old 10-31-2010, 01:06 AM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 61 Posts

My heart goes out to all the cars(mint, not so mint or those in poor shape) it's owners, management....just feel sick to my stomach. WB, thank you as always for another thoughtful post with an important message.
Old 10-31-2010, 09:23 AM
ricster
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup, this industry unfortunately does not pay. Thought long and hard about getting out and doing something more lucrative.
Old 10-31-2010, 11:59 AM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by whalebird
There's a good lesson here, if any good can come from this; support your Porsche independent service shop. His or her parts may be a bit higher in price, his labor may be a bit more $ than "the import connection" or somesuch you ring up from the yellow pages. He pays for insurance, he has the right tools and the experiance to make your car and you happy.
Too True. This is part of why our parts are not sold at discount through mail order houses and the internet. The guy putting the part in your car is the guy who is going to sell it to you. The independent proprietors are the backbone of my customer base and having been on their side of the fence, I feel strongly about supporting them in their attempt to make a living at something that's more a labor of love than anything else.

Rusnak,
Sorry to hear about your friend's loss. You're a good guy for being there for him.

Quick Reply: Another Porsche shop bites the dust