Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Burning oil Smell when I first turn on heat.

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 01:25 PM
roverguy
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Burning oil Smell when I first turn on heat.

So, it's getting to be that time of year in New England. 5:30 am ride to work & I need a little boost of heat to warm up the cabin. When I first put on the heat/defrost I get that "burning oil smell. It pretty much goes away within 5-10 minutes, but it is annoying.

Just purchased the car form S Carolina so the heat prob wasn't used much.

New SSI headers/boxes 4-5 years ago & very little mileage since.

I had no drivers heat when I first got the car only to find the driver's side hose was off. First time I connected it & turned on the heat smoke billowed out of the vents for 5 mins. Then I took a hard RH turn & another puff came out. After 100 miles or so that seems to have gone away.

I am not getting smoke anymore, just that faint smell of burning oil. I plan on replacing the heater hoses, but haven't gotten to the long one that goes under the AC unit; looks like a pain.

So, some input please. Could oil have gotten into the heater boxes, or is it just on the engine & getting sucked in by heater motor into the system? The engine is pretty dry BTW.

Thanks
Old 10-19-2010, 02:12 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

welcome to old 911 ownership & RL.
when you examine everything closely, check the oil return tubes for seepage & also the CHT sensor (& valve cover gaskets & etc). if you aren't familiar w/ 911 motors, have an expert go over the engine compartment (top & bottom) w/ you. my '87 seeps at the tubes from winter-cold shrinkage (& less driving - these cars need to drive to be happy), than not much at all Spring-Fall. good luck!
Old 10-19-2010, 02:30 PM
roverguy
Track Day

Ked:

All that done and almost no leaks. $4k top end rebuild 10k ago, incl turbo covers, etc.

So my ?? is how is the oil smell getting into he heating system? My heater hoses do look a little worn, maybe it's just residual oil on the motor that's burning off & getting sucked in?
Old 10-19-2010, 02:48 PM
Ian Ledger
Intermediate

Do not forget that the fumes of burning oil are toxic. There are short term and long term effects, so get it fixed!
Ian
Old 10-19-2010, 04:19 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

trust... but verify.
yes, could be residual oil from the past in the system.
I'd go for a nice long Fall cruise in the country - getting the engine fully warmed up.
turn on the heat full blast for a goodly period (windows down, & wearing a filter mask could be an interesting look) & see what happens initially, after awhile & then the next day when you go for another cruise. still, you might seek an "old 911 expert" locally (via PCA or whatever) - will come in handy eventually.
enjoy!
(& btw, you provide no details on your car, yr, model, mileage - sometimes helps in honing in on issues)
Old 10-19-2010, 06:48 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It sounds like you have an SC? My 1970 has oil smoke from the heater, due to oil leaks onto the heat exhangers. The solution is to regularly clean the underside with a pressure washer.
Old 10-19-2010, 07:47 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

roverguy, what year is your car. We can better assess the problem if year is known.
Old 10-19-2010, 08:02 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

True. Mag cases leak badly compared to the stronger SC and Carrera cases.
Old 10-19-2010, 11:13 PM
roverguy
Track Day

Sorry guys, 82SC, with basically tight motor, new top end, tenshioners, SSI headers & boxes.

Is there a way to add a standard signature & auto info in the user control panel?

Roverguy
North of Boston
'82 911 SC
'11 Volvo XC70 T6 (brides)
'00 Landcrusher
'07 Subaru Outback

Quick Reply: Burning oil Smell when I first turn on heat.