Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Show me the Works In Progress

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 02:23 PM
sobamaflyer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Show me the Works In Progress

I concluded the other day this board is full of gorgeous, pristine, perfect cars. I was hoping to have a motivational thread for those of us with a work in progress. The Daily Drivers, the Needs TLC cars, the One Day It'll be finished. Mine is a decent enough 15' car but it's easy to see I'm missing a lot of things. At least she runs well (most of the time )

You find these in the classifieds if you look but I know there's plenty of us that love our cars even if they aren't quite "Car Show Material".

....or maybe I should be out in the garage instead of on the internet on a Sunday morning
Attached Images   
Old 10-17-2010, 08:10 PM
Brett San Diego
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like you're missing all your body welting. These are little plastic trim bits between the body panels and bumpers (on the sides). If I recall correctly, your car was in pieces when you bought it. You might not be aware it should be there. This is still available new from your Porsche dealer. Not that expensive. Besides just trim, it provides a plastic cushion preventing metal to metal rubbing when the panels are screwed together.

Good progress so far.

Brett
Old 10-17-2010, 10:10 PM
sobamaflyer
Instructor

Thanks Brett, actually I wasn't aware of welting for those spots so I'll have to add that to the list (it's a long list)

....I may need to start another thread and post half a dozen pictures to have people identify spots like this I may not yet know about
Old 10-17-2010, 10:48 PM
psychoideas
Drifting

OK,
Just to make you feel better!!
Attached Images   
Old 10-17-2010, 11:01 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 61 Posts

Sobamaflyer: One's car need not be show car material to be loved and cared by it's owner. I view every little imperfection in my car as a battlescars for having been in this planet for so long. For a reference I have posted a picture of that felt that Brett referenced in his post. Your car is a 911, whose eager engine has plenty of zing, to top it off it even has beautiful Fuch's ... what more could you ask for :-)
Attached Images  
Old 10-18-2010, 08:44 AM
sobamaflyer
Instructor

Please make no mistake, I am VERY PROUD of my beautiful 911, it is fantastic and I get nothing but compliments when I drive it. And thank you for the compliments . I was just hoping to showcase some like mine or Franks (cool conversion btw) that aren't nearly as perfect as the Woot-mobile.
Old 10-19-2010, 12:08 PM
scott555
Intermediate

Originally Posted by psychoideas
OK,
Just to make you feel better!!

Jeebus!! Electrical stress.

Nice looking otherwise! I like the front end.
Old 10-19-2010, 04:45 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

SoBa...as Brett pointed out with the fender welting-there is an additional piece that goes between the top fender and wiper-cowl. In the area of the lower corners of the windshield.
Nice thread idea. Get out of here w00t, your car is a show winner(kidding).
Old 10-19-2010, 08:41 PM
jackb911
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 55 Posts

It's finished now, but here are some "during" shots when it looked really ugly...
Attached Images     
Old 10-19-2010, 09:37 PM
sobamaflyer
Instructor

I wondered about that spot by the windshield, thought I had noticed welting on some there.....

This idea partly came from seeing a couple around town (which is a big rarity in southern Alabama btw) that looked like sad, but well loved and fully functional examples. One was a middie targa sporting several different colors, a faded but complete interior, etc. But it was sitting in front of a restaurant where obviously it's owner was enjoying a night out in his (or her) toy much as I do in mine. Another was a very oddball artcar 356 coupe that's around and also driven regularly.

Just thought it would be cool to see that cars that exist just because their owner's are attached to them, even well worn.
Old 10-20-2010, 12:59 AM
Brett San Diego
Burning Brakes

The current state of my 911. I didn't get very far along on my engine drop.

The interior of the 356. Not really a work in progress, yet. I haven't even gotten to the part where I clean the junk out of the interior. Actually, not quite all junk. That's the original radio in the back, which is worth some bucks.

Brett
Old 10-20-2010, 01:15 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Pristine and perfect...not even close. Ruby has been the beneficiary of a number of fairly intensive projects, interior, brake upgrade, suspension-a couple of rounds of upgrades, engine apart a couple of times, etc over the years. In fact the motor was apart from Feb to the end of May. I'd say that qualified as a work in progress.

It takes time to craft the car you want.

Need to finish the heat plumbing, get some dyno time for tuning in, a Recaro shell for the passenger seat to match the driver's side, thinking about some new carpet, I'm sure I can think of more...
Old 10-20-2010, 01:59 AM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by whalebird
... Get out of here w00t, your car is a show winner(kidding).

Quick Reply: Show me the Works In Progress