Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Question about rust

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 06:00 PM
all4woody
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Question about rust

I have a question for the experts about rust repair. I have an 86 911 with 44k original miles, excellent condition inside, close outside except for a 3 inch spot on the rear quarter at the corner that is rusting under the paint. I would like to sell the car, but my delima is do I leave the rust spot and sell as all original paint, or do I try to have it repaired and possibly miss-match the paint or make it worse. As a prospective buyer, which would you rather have?

Thanks for any insight you may have.

Woody
Old 10-11-2010, 06:05 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The problem with rust where there is some there is more. Have you looked the car over really well. Is that the ONLY place it has some rust because they like to rust under the fuel filler lid, the A and C pillars, under the tail lights, behind the head lights, the battery tray and the torsion bar mounts.

I guess if it was me I would try to sell as is unless I have too many people walk away because specifically that objection.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:50 PM
all4woody
Racer

The only rust I found was in two places that look like they were nicked at one time, the car sat in a garage for a while and was driven on weekends. The interior looks great except for a little wear from the seatbelt. Here are a few pics, I will post more once I go through it.
Thanks again for any advice.
Woody

Last edited by all4woody; 06-02-2011 at 05:20 PM.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:47 PM
ricster
Banned

Nice car. Let's see the rust pics
Old 10-11-2010, 10:02 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My opinion would be to leave the car completely original. As I buyer, I'd rather buy it with the rust spots so I can decide what to do about it and use my preferred vendor (or DIY talent for those that are much more talented than me!) to fix it.

I bought my '84 with all original paint, but many of the panels were destroyed from neglect and abuse. But, I got to see it in it's original paint and dealt with it as I saw fit.
Old 10-11-2010, 11:04 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Any rust showing on this vintage is going to be the tip of the iceberg. As mentioned, you're better off leaving alone, and be prepared to discount.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:47 AM
ricster
Banned

If its were the rubber seal goes for the window, its caused by the rivet that was put there by the factory, and it nicks the galvinization and causes what I think your seeing. A good body shop will remove the rear side window seal, clean the rust area up,spot weld the holes closed and put new seals in place, any other rust they will take care of if more is found around the rubber seals. Is this the place your speaking of?
Old 10-12-2010, 10:58 AM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Any rust showing on this vintage is going to be the tip of the iceberg. As mentioned, you're better off leaving alone, and be prepared to discount.
I'll take that lump off your hands...$6k is all it's worth
Old 10-23-2010, 01:54 PM
all4woody
Racer

This is the only rust I have found, looks like it was an unattended scrape that got out of hand. There are a few rock chips on the front, but otherwise is in good shape. I drove it 400 miles and it ran well. I will leave the paint alone and let the next owner handle it, since it is original paint.
Thanks for all your inputs, I have more pics if interested.
/r
Woody
Attached Images  

Last edited by all4woody; 06-02-2011 at 05:20 PM.
Old 10-23-2010, 02:45 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 61 Posts

No need for dilemna/dilemma. Get a few quotes from a quality body repair shop on the $$ it would cost to fix, leave the rust alone for the prospective buyer to fix and discount that $$ amount off the market value. For 44K miles, there appears to quite a bit of wear on the outer bolster of the driver's seat. Rest of the interior seems to be in pristine shape.
Old 10-23-2010, 04:42 PM
ricster
Banned

Thats an odd place to see rust, if its never had body work prior. I would repair that damage, as its only going to get worse. The rear is worse, but the trunk area should be done quickly as well, so not to spread. I am doubtful that car is all original. As WootPorsche noted, much wear on that driver bolster for 44k. I suspect that mileage is a bit higher than indicated
Old 10-23-2010, 04:57 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by ricster
.... I am doubtful that car is all original. As WootPorsche noted, much wear on that driver bolster for 44k. I suspect that mileage is a bit higher than indicated
I thought about writing it, Ricster wrote it.
Old 10-23-2010, 09:24 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Those are new nasty gashes or cracks in the paint. I'd question that being original too.
Old 10-23-2010, 11:37 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Odd places for rust. I would expect to find more.

What does the battery box look like? Behind the head lamps and tail lights?

And it's likely a TMU.
Old 10-24-2010, 07:59 AM
Daniel Dudley
Rennlist Member

That does not look like simple surface rust to me. With a car of that color, you should fix it.

Should have been done a long time ago.

Also, check for caked mud or dirt on the inside of the fender wells. n the NE we used to see a lot of caked dirt and salt trapped in cavities, staying there for years and reactivating with every rainstorm. I used to flush pounds of the stuff out of cars. Once wet, it can stay wet for weeks or months.

Paint should not bubble like that on a galvanized car in the south. But what do I know from looking at pictures ?

Quick Reply: Question about rust