Handling problems - any advice?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 03:07 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Excuse me, I think "someone" already mentioned that when they suggested it was a tire issue.

If Gabe didn't have limited slip, he may not have noticed this issue.
Oops, my bad!

Kuhmos should be ok. Be aware of the speed/ heat rating. The higher, the better.

I like Bridgestone, but have Fuzions on mine now.
Old 10-07-2010, 03:26 PM
gdwprice
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rusnak
Haha! I gotta ask - did you put air in your tires? And they ARE the same size?
Yeah, but I did leave the pressures at 36 psi. They offered to send me out a new tyre but it's not clear which is at fault. They look fine. I gather from the conversation 'pulling tyres' are not unusual. I'm kind of relieved . . . Well, hugely relieved! Thanks for all the help. Ed, you were right not to discount the tyre!
Old 10-07-2010, 03:33 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

This is slightly OT, but I had to replace a damaged tire once on a Saturday, on my way out of town. All I could find was Walmart, and they had the right size tire, but it was a V rated Goodrich, and mine were all Bridgestone S O3. It worked well enough that I kept it on there for 4 months until I bought the new Fuchs and 4 new tires. No pulling, no scary handling.

Just my own .02
Old 10-07-2010, 03:46 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like bridgestone as well. I put a set of Falken on the Porsche a couple of months ago. I've always liked falken tires as a budget tire and especially now since they entered the ALMS as a sponser. They are the maker of Fusion tires as well, actually, Sumitomo is the parent of them all IIRC. Just put a $1000 set of tires on the 09 F150(20" wheels) and went with a Bridgestone.
Old 10-07-2010, 04:09 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

I didn't know that! I thought of Falken as a drifter tire, but I'm impressed at their pace in ALMS, especially for a new team. It does make me look at their tire as an option, no doubt.
Old 10-07-2010, 04:12 PM
gdwprice
Advanced

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Don't overlook the tire thing. There have been more than one set of bad tires sold over time. I'm not a fan of Kumhos. The limited slip diff will exagerate any differences in the rear tires from side to side with accel/decel as you describe. Make sure the tires are the same size, if directional-mounted in the right direction, proper pressures, etc. (note the psi recommendations from the factory aren't as much a function of year built as compensation for oversteer tendency and Porsche trying to protect idiot drivers)

Try the side to side swap, as recommended.
Gold Star Awarded. Next time I'm in Cuba I'll pick you up a cigar. Of course by the time I get to Cuba my gratitude my exceed one cigar. . . .
Old 10-07-2010, 04:20 PM
whalebird
Race Car

I didn't know that! I thought of Falken as a drifter tire, but I'm impressed at their pace in ALMS, especially for a new team. It does make me look at their tire as an option, no doubt.
I was melting Falkens off my various BMWs long before the drifting circus started up. They've been with me for a long time, and always delivered a solid product in my experience.
A tire thread I will avoid.
Old 10-07-2010, 05:28 PM
gdwprice
Advanced

This is slightly OT, but I had to replace a damaged tire once on a Saturday, on my way out of town. All I could find was Walmart, and they had the right size tire, but it was a V rated Goodrich, and mine were all Bridgestone S O3. It worked well enough that I kept it on there for 4 months until I bought the new Fuchs and 4 new tires. No pulling, no scary handling.

Just my own .02
From what tirerack were telling me the tire most likely had a problem in the mold or the compound was bad. I gather if I'd replaced the faulty one with any other branded tire the same size I'd have been ok. Of course, I should probably hold fire until a new set returns the car to it's previous stability!

****, I've just thought, the tire was rotated on the wheel making it suitable for the other side. That means the right rear tire and wheel are on the left side now, not just the tire. So could I have a bad rim?
Old 10-07-2010, 05:45 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

No, it's the tire. Tire defects are not common, but they do occur, as already pointed out.

Standard wisdom is to never mix tire brands, and never mix speed ratings. It's not even a good idea to run new/ old tires on the same car, though we do it.

I was offering an instance where it worked out ok, just to temper accepted wisdom a bit.
Old 10-07-2010, 06:01 PM
whalebird
Race Car

I'm still going to stay tuned here. I understand the findings thus far, and hope all is under control. I really hope it is the tires, but...I would still set up an inspection/alignment/corner weight with a good shop that is reccommended from other Porsche owners in your area.
Old 10-07-2010, 06:08 PM
gdwprice
Advanced

No, it's the tire. Tire defects are not common, but they do occur, as already pointed out.

Standard wisdom is to never mix tire brands, and never mix speed ratings. It's not even a good idea to run new/ old tires on the same car, though we do it.

I was offering an instance where it worked out ok, just to temper accepted wisdom a bit.
Well, in the interests of second guessing myself I just put the wheels back on to check the run out - they're fine.

Another interesting point for any tirerack users. Tires come with a 30 day return. I have a habit of ordering them and taking a month to get them installed. Not a good practice should you find yourself with a defective one outside the warranty!

I'm grateful for all the help, thanks hugely! I'm especially grateful to Ed for pointing me to this forum. It's addictive reading. A wealth of users and information. Most of the time a search reveals somebody already having gone through the problem I'm faced with and the solution is just a read away!

As for KUHMO's, I'll reserve my opinion until further testing. I had 4 Michelin tires on my Honda for 55,000 solid, safe miles at $600 a set. I replaced them today with probably 10,000 left in them. It was a combination of low tread going into winter and the fact that 2 had been repaired and one had a slow punture. I put 4 KUHMO's on for $350. We shall see!
Old 10-07-2010, 06:08 PM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by gdwprice
I didn't like it either! I was amazed at how much lifting it needs to get it up. I was just worried about using the engine to lift the car. Is this the recommended method?
Using the engine is perfectly OK, I have jacked up thousands of these using this method, right on through 997TTs. Chock the front wheels first. Use piece of wood 2x4 between the jack and the case and use the spine of the case, and jack it up behind the sump/drainplug. If you have an '83 or earlier car, don't jack it by the sump plate, use the case spine behind it (towards the rear of the car). Put jackstands under the torsion bar ends (unless you are swapping torsion bars/ spring plates of course!) Some people worry about the motor mounts using this method, and no, you won't hurt them, and if your engine DOES lift an inch before the whole car does, then guess what you need motor mounts!

Glad you found your problem, what kind of Kumhos? The higher end Ecsta MX/XS are OK, as well as the R-compound Victoracers, but I dunno about the cheap ones.
Old 10-07-2010, 06:40 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,115 Likes on 797 Posts

Gees I wonder who the first guy to mention tires was ..... and I think it was way back on post number ... er..... 2
Old 10-07-2010, 06:47 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Ha, that's right!

Well, I pushed it....as I'd experienced the same exact thing, and concluded this the minute I read his symptoms.

Of course, that is not to say the car could not benefit form a thorough look and suspension components, bearings, etc.
Old 10-07-2010, 06:50 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,115 Likes on 797 Posts

well I guess Ed and I survive advice island for one more week with out tire tikki .. I thinnk Makmov got voted off this week

Quick Reply: Handling problems - any advice?