Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

78sc refresh

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 11:26 PM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 78sc refresh

I am contemplating refreshing my 78sc that has been under-cover for decades in my warehouse. I like the idea of bringing it back and the "investment" or "ROI" is not really an issue as its a keeper but what I am trying to reconcile is how much coin is too much for a periodic driver (no track see image). Mechanicals good, body good, paint so-so. Im thinking $10-15kK would be OK for a non-concours car.

I Welcome any comments.
Old 10-02-2010, 08:40 PM
mholbrook38
Track Day

I would get it flat trucked to a good independent in your area with the idea to have them get it running and change all fluids, look at brakes etc to be sure of safe driveability. Then if the interior can be saved or lightly freshened and the paint buffed out, etc. You might be better off having a "survivor" car than to bring it back. My own car is in for paint right now because the PO left it outside for about 6 years or so. In my case the mechanicals are all gone through now and the interior will get a thorough detailing when it comes home from the paint shop. I would prefer a car with original paint but not possible in my case. Perhaps your paint and interior would look great with a good buff.

I can attest that this is a great project.
Old 10-02-2010, 09:36 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

15K would be on the high end, if you're trying to get an outside number. And that would be for a time capsule SC. On the other hand, chances are good that it will be able to be started without a lot of trouble if you can get fuel pressure to the injectors, so good luck.
Old 10-03-2010, 02:01 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

I didn't see the image, but it all depends on what is needed. If there are a lot of tired parts inside, that can add up quickly. I think you can get a respectable respray for 5 or 6k that will look great and last well. Also, how much of the work will you do?

I'd say 10-15 would be a good budget to have, if you repaint and no engine or trans work. You probably won't need all of it, and you'll have a well sorted awesome and beautiful car.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:10 AM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

Thanks to all, it is a very clean car with lots of fond memories that why ROI not important to me. Just returning it to non-show, non-race, streat viable fun car.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:27 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

I think that would be very dooable , especially what you can do yourself. The more work you do yourself in preping for the paint the nicer paint job you can aford.

Even is you just get her to the shell and ship it off to be painted that would be a HUGE savings and you have already done the labour for the items you want to replace .

I look forward to following this as a fellow 78 owner ..
Old 10-04-2010, 10:28 AM
Brucechas
Rennlist Member

Sounds like a terrific project. Good luck and enjoy.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:40 PM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

It will be fun but my restoration buddy past away and I suspect thats why its been under-cover in my warehouse. I guess the funk has passed and now it will become a legacy piece something my daughter might have fun driving...........her grandfather and my buddy will be smilling from heaven.

Thanks again.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:45 AM
Oldtee
Pro

I have done two. A 79 (110k mi) that I bought from a friend for 8K and a 78 (68K mi) that I bought for 7K that had been sitting in a heated garage for 7 years. Here is my experience.

79 body: stripped of all parts and painted. all rubber replaced, interior refreshed. new headliner. wheels done. Engine: lot of CIS work to get it running right plus learning by screwing up. Later I had to overhaul the engine.

Conclusion: Never again, I'll buy one in good condition and pay the money. I now use it for a DE car after more money thrown at it. Some of what I did needs to be redone. Seat I had redone with a Pelican cover needs to be redone. Aftermarket rubber is going again in some places. Sun roof refuses to be repaired correctly after several tries (my fault).

78: nothing to the body. It is a daily driver. Engine: removed and cleaned up. air pump gone, chain tensioner upgraded, cat by pass added. Pop off valve installed. That is all.

Conclusion: Solid car. Needs nothing.

Both are a blast to drive but very different cars. 78 needs paint work but have decided to leave it alone. Window rubber needs replacement.

Neither has air conditioning.

It's too bad Boxster engines are so flaky or I would sell them both and go that way.
Attached Images  
Old 10-12-2010, 10:15 AM
vinu125
Banned

You'll have a well sorted awesome and beautiful car.
auto shipping

Quick Reply: 78sc refresh