Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Another relay question

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 12:23 PM
jsabatini
Drifting

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Another relay question

Another DME relay (actually relay in general) question, reading Pelican Parts catolog about the various relays it says you should check the relays to make sure they are functioning properly.

Before you decide to replace your fuel pump, make sure that your Red fuel pump relay, which is located on the relay board within the front trunk area, is functioning properly. Also be sure to check that your DME relay, 911 (1984-89), is functioning properly.
Is there a way to test these things with a volt meter or something?
Old 10-01-2010, 02:55 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think you have a 3.2? Always keep a spare dme relay. I also keep a black and a red relay for spares (the red is the AC relay), and a good supply of fuses. Probably the easiet way to check the dme relay is to turn the key and see if the engine starts. Seriously, the system is that bullet proof. You have a fuel pump fuse in the engine compartment. It might be a good idea to write down all the fuse positions, take them all out, and clean all the contacts with a very small, fine brass brush and then put them all back, except for any discolored or broken ones, which should be replaced.

On 3.2 911s, the positive battery terminal tends to corrode, and eventually will need to be replaced. I went with a gold plated Monster Cable connector, and I still need to annually take it out and clean it and clean all battery contacts. Check all of your grounds for clean contact, and wire brush them if they're corroded, and tighten them. Check your battery charge, and clean the contacts and connect a float charger once a month.

The other relay that will go out is the heater blower relay, located in the engine compartment. It's the silver box next to the left side wall.

Quick Reply: Another relay question