Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

1980sc 3.0 ltr Quest for Power Begins Here...

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2002 | 01:12 PM
JonT.
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alright--thanks for the feedback--I guess I asked for it! I went back to my mechanic to discuss things further. He said:

1) the euro spec cam grind is the 993 grind

2) price creep--the $6000 he quoted me includes the "while we're in there" fudge factor. He says he can guarantee this. I've been going to him for 6 years and trust him on this.

3) i was mistaken when i was stating the compression increase. he said i am currently at 9.3 and it will increase to 10.5

4) he said the 3.6 conversion would be a good idea also and will wait for me to look for an engine if I choose this route.

I intend to to be a 99% street car and may take it to DE event. I've got a decent sum of cash in the bank but don't want to blow all of it! its only retirement savings...plus I need some stories to tell my grandchildren. Suppose I should be married first...

Anyone have a 3.6 for sale????
Old 04-19-2002 | 11:19 PM
Chuck Harmon
Racer

I hope you are saving some $$ for suspension and brake upgrades. That will be a really nice engine and the 3.2 swap would be very nice also,to make a great street/DE car some suspension mods are necessary, for example, I have the Netrix bushings and Bilstein Sport shocks also I run 26mm torsion bars in the rear, lowered and corner balanced, handels really well and the ride quality is not bad, mine is a daily driver with one DE so far.
Old 04-24-2002 | 07:33 PM
Paul Brewer
Advanced

The problem is that by the time you upgrade engine, suspension, brakes and whatever else you might think to do you could have bought a 993. All that cash that you are going to sink into an SC is gone forever; if and when you sell the car you will get market value, nothing more.

Consider all of the alternatives carefully before beginning the spending orgy.
Old 04-24-2002 | 07:42 PM
Michael Ghia
Advanced

Cool

Over here in the UK, you can pick up an early 930 motor for around £6-7K, thats about $10,000 over there. Why not go the whole hog and get a turbo motor? A 915 would take the power if you were nice to it but if you're gonna upgrade, a 930 transmission would be needed.
MG
Old 04-24-2002 | 09:51 PM
zzopit
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ah, good point, does one need a G50 to go with the 3.6 or will a healthy 915 do?

That $10k in minus $3-4k for the old lump sounds tempting...
Old 04-24-2002 | 10:41 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts
A healthy 915 will do just fine.

Unless it's a track car, in which case a healthy 915 will be required about every 48 months.
Old 04-25-2002 | 04:53 AM
Ed Bighi
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Here are my opinions, and I never ride the bus when it comes to opinions. I am at the track every weekend and since I am an instructor, I drive everything. I also drive my best friend's 3.6 sc all the time. I have never felt that 3.6 swaps are the end-all of power wishes. Simply put, I have spent too much time driving modified 930's on the track to even feel the difference between 200 and 260 any more. I am one of those few guys that prefer throwing a 3.3 liter plant in there, which is actually an easier swap, since they come with 300 hp already. Turbo swaps require no special wiring, no special sheetmetal, no special exhaust, etc... That's beause 3.3 turbos come out of 911 chassis with widebodies instead of 964's. And to make a 3.3 turbo put out close to 400 is a piece of cake. As far as lag, I have never had any trouble with it on a track. Heck, the worst lag I have seen lately has been on the highly modified 944 turbos, whose lag times are highly undereported. What I have found is the problem with the turbos is the fact that most of the ones I see at the track are driven by owners who are clueless as to how to drive them properly at 10/10.

As far as rebuilding the sc, I am going to do it to mine one of these days. What the costs are and how they compare to anything else has never been a factor for me. I basically don't care about costs, resale value or any of that bs that makes life boring. And with that in mind I will probably end up going with 3.4. Or maybe even 3.7. I would recommend going with at least a 74.4 stroke crankshaft from a 3.2 carrera/930 turbo to make a 3.4 since you are already there. I will keep the CIS on mine for a stock appearance. And for other reasons also. I like the simplicity and reliability of CIS. I maybe strange, but I have owned a couple of 964's, own a Carrera 3.2 and prefer the injection in my sc. To me, what's a couple of hp. I'll just brake later.

On the euro fuel distributor. If you do go with 98mm pistons, use the eruo fuel distributor with part #911 110 977 00. This is the unit used in the 81-83 911sc with 9.8:1 compression. Considering the sc's never had a knock sensor, that compression ratio is on the high side for a non dme car. That is why that fuel distributor was only used on that model engine. The earlier euro distributors are duds since they are the same as the 78-79 american. 78-79 euro and us had the same low compression.

The 3.7 liter motor I mentioned above has been done a few times at ANDIAL. One of the owners, Arnold Wagner used to own one. CIS and all since from my conversations with Arnold a while back, he was also a CIS devotee. It was pretty fast. And nobody could ever tell what was there by looking under the decklid. It looked just like a 3.0. None of that "oh, but you have a 3.6!" A real sleeper, even under scrutiny.

Quick Reply: 1980sc 3.0 ltr Quest for Power Begins Here...