Engine failure – again

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 07:27 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by KILRWAIL
I won't comment on your other point.
I probably wouldn't comment either on the "other point", but it is probably the most important take away in all of this and possibly the last episode.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:08 PM
KILRWAIL
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Auto_Werks 3.6
Also, regarding the ignition timing, if you want to know for sure you have the timing right, set it on a dyno.
That is the plan. Thanks.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:39 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
I probably wouldn't comment either on the "other point", but it is probably the most important take away in all of this.
+1 on that!
Enough with the ash trays already!!

Seriously though, sorry to hear engine issues are still following you!!
Old 09-13-2010, 09:38 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,119 Likes on 801 Posts

i have been following this ,.. this HAS to be getting pricey ... could have bought a turbo yet ?
Old 09-13-2010, 09:48 PM
KILRWAIL
Instructor

Commercial terms not as bad as you think, to date.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:51 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,119 Likes on 801 Posts

Good for you ... so get back at it and let us know how it goes
Old 09-20-2010, 09:43 PM
KILRWAIL
Instructor

Having spoken to even more gurus since my last post - including those with unimpeachable credentials - we have concluded that I was running all the tunable parameters at or slightly beyond acceptable limts, i.e. timing (35 BTDC), plugs (NGK 6 heat range), fuel (91 octane), AFR (13.2 at 6000). But the catalyst that led to the eventual failure was inadequate cooling in the left bank, which occurred because the heat exchanger to heater control box 3" hose had come adrift, allowing the cooling air to bypass the cylinders more than usual. I noticed this before leaving home but didn't bother to fix it, since I didn't think I'd need cabin heat. The demands of Road America might have eventually caused a failure anyway, but this lack of cooling caused two of the left bank's plugs to self-destruct. We will rebuild the same engine and tune accordingly, adding data logging of AFR and CHT.
Old 09-20-2010, 09:56 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 193 Posts

Then, I would say that very little has actually been learned here.

You may have been running at the very outside edge of what is allowable... And you popped it......twice. Richen it up a tad, back off the timing a touch, and put some better gas in the tank when you're tracking the car. For goodness sake, we're not racing for money here, we're doing track days. put it on a dyno, and richen it up, I'm guessing you will NOT see an output decrease. Then Max out the torque curve with the ignition timing NTE 35' and you're done.

Or you can continue to reinvent the wheel and hope for better luck this time. I'm sure the heat issue contributed, but you were flat running it too ragged, and you got caught. Please don't advertise for others to follow in your footsteps.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:26 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Not sure there's a revelation here. Seems to me that Steve nailed it the first go. I'd say he retains his "Guru with unimpeachable credentials" status.

I'd question how much effect the heater hose, or lack thereof had. There are a lot of track cars running all variants of heat, no heat, backdated, semi-backdated, etc. As Ryan said, you were running the ragged edge, and that is truly what cost you here.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:28 PM
KILRWAIL
Instructor

Please read carefully - I said "tune accordingly". I've already said in an earlier post that I would back off the mentioned parameters. All the good advice has not fallen on deaf ears.

Quick Reply: Engine failure – again