Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

911 shift knob removal assistance

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2003, 09:38 AM
cyprusx
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 911 shift **** removal assistance

I am going to replace my shift **** on my 88 911 and upon test removing the ****, it doesn't appear to be screwed on. How are these things removed from the lever? I don't want to ruin anything while removing.

Thanks!!!
Old 06-11-2003, 12:36 PM
pwd72s
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If I do thuis right, here's a link to a 5-22 post on the same subject...
<a href="http://forums.rennlist.com/index.html" target="_blank">http://forums.rennlist.com/index.html</a>
Old 06-11-2003, 12:43 PM
pwd72s
Pro

My goof...just realized my link won't work. Basic technique is to get an open end wrench that fits the gearshift shaft...place this under the bottom of the ****, hit the wrench upward with a hammer. This is the technique for ***** put on with a crush sleeve. You'll need to buy a new crush sleeve when replacing the ****...unless you use an aftermarket **** that fastens with a set screw.
Old 06-11-2003, 01:54 PM
tchanson
Racer

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by pwd72s:
<strong>Basic technique is to get an open end wrench that fits the gearshift shaft...place this under the bottom of the ****, hit the wrench upward with a hammer.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">The wrench and hammer method won't work and isn't necessary for the **** on the G50 in your '88.

Its held on by an allen head fastener that bolts down vertically through the top of the **** and into the threaded shaft, and is accessed by removing the plastic shift pattern cap on the ****. There is also no crush sleeve, unlike on the earlier 915 shaft.

Good luck,
Tim
Old 06-11-2003, 04:42 PM
jim912928
Racer

If, by chance, yours doesn't have the allen screw...I just did my 80 with the open wrench (fit it close to the shaft size) and a rubber hammer. Word of caution, wear very thick gloves on the hand holding the wrench...and don't have your head in the line of sight with the **** when it "flies at a great speed" off the shaft!

Jim
Old 06-11-2003, 10:57 PM
cyprusx
AutoX

Wink

I will pop the cap off and check for an allen screw before trying the wrench, hammer, shift **** in the head trick. Looks like I can't get a leather universal **** with a threaded end based on this info. What are my options for a replacement?

Thanks!!!
Old 06-12-2003, 12:06 AM
tchanson
Racer

If your '88 has the stock shift ****, then you will certainly find an allen head bolt that goes down through the **** and the shaft. Pry up the edge of the plastic shift pattern insert and you'll see it.

Just to clarify, the **** itself is not threaded, and does not screw onto the shaft. Instead, the **** has a semi-circular, "D" shaped hole that mates with the "D" shaped tip of the shaft. This allows the **** to fit only one way and not rotate. The allen bolt goes straight through the non-threaded **** and into the threaded inner diameter of the shaft.

Most, if not all, aftermarket ***** just mount with a horizontal set screw through their base against the outer diameter of the shaft. Not ideal, IMO.

If you're interested, replacement leather factory ***** and center caps are available from any dealer, as well as many aftermarket vendors such as <a href="http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/shopcart/911M/por_911M_pedals_main.htm" target="_blank">here</a> at Pelican.

Good luck, and put that hammer away...

Tim
Old 06-12-2003, 02:24 PM
pwd72s
Pro

Thanks Tim...do you know the model year that Porsche changed to the allen head bolt and dropped the crush sleeve?
Old 06-12-2003, 04:33 PM
tchanson
Racer

With the introduction of the G50 in '87.

Tim
Old 06-13-2003, 10:36 AM
cyprusx
AutoX

Thanks for all the help folks.... Things worked out great!!!
Old 06-18-2003, 01:06 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
cyprusx, I went to a local leather shop and bought some small pieces of thin leather (in the clor I needed) and used the leather that was worn as a template and made a new cover. I made it a shade tight and just prior to sliding it over the ****, i put it in water to allow it to stretch. When it dried on the **** it fit like a glove. If you try this, be sure to leave extra leather at the top and bottom so there will be enough left over to tuck under at each end. I have several ***** guys have given me when they bought new ones, so I have some i recovered in case my goes south again. LOL.
Old 06-18-2003, 02:04 PM
pwd72s
Pro

reminds me of a funny aside...did my dad make the first leather shift ****? Using the "shrink the leather" technique above, he placed the ******** sack of a deer he'd taken over the stock **** of his '50 Ford pickup. He told me he started doing this in the 1920's...

Quick Reply: 911 shift knob removal assistance