Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

what is this SC worth?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2002, 03:43 PM
RS 2.7
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question what is this SC worth?

There is a 78 911 SC owned by the salesman at the Porsche dealership I used to work at.

Being the salesman he is I think he is trying to make a deal on the car.

he has owned it for about 1.5 years.

here are the specs...

-mocha exterior (paint in good shape)
-tan leather interior (not too much wear)
-5 spd
-polished fuchs wheels (decent shape)w/ good rubber
-150 K miles (engine runs strong)
however...

it had serious oil leaks. the engine was pulled and leaks were fixed. i watched the car sit for about 2 months and finally the engine was put back in.

i have driven and ridden in the car before the engine was pulled. it ran great, idled good, pulled hard and i was impressed. i have not been in the car since the oil leaks were fixed.

another problem the car has is that the electric sunroof leaks. i am not sure how difficult it is to fix that.

with what i have told you guys what kind of price should i expect to pay for this SC?

he tells me he bought it for $10,000. kelley blue book says that a 82 SC with the same specs in private party value is worth $7,050. But his is a 78! i always tell him that i am interested in buying it and he says he will sell it for $11,000. I know that he doesnt really need or want the car since he also owns a Mercedes ML sport utility.

so what should i offer him?
Old 04-17-2002, 03:53 PM
Chuck Harmon
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would need more info on the car to give a better number,like, did the tensioner upgrade get done ? Pop-off valve put in ? by fixing leaks did an upper engine re-build get done ? how about a leakdown test ? With what you have said, the car is not worth 11,000. Go out to Heartland Park Raceway the next time a Porsche Club race is running and ask around.I have been to that track and had a really good time,lots of very good Porsche folks there !
Old 04-17-2002, 04:12 PM
Chris Martin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sunroof leak could be the drains are clugged up. Also check the felt seal around the roof. Mine leaked so bad that I literally took a shower when I came to a stop in the rain.
Old 04-18-2002, 02:03 AM
RS 2.7
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thanks for the info, and can you guys tell me when the next Porsche club race is out at heartland?

Last year I missed the Porsche club but I did go to the Audi club and saw a GT2!
Old 04-18-2002, 02:17 AM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
There is going to be a DE at Heartland Park on April 27th/28th with the Great Plains Region (Nebraska/Iowa)...they are a great group with several SCs and 964s/RS Americas.

I ran with them last year in August...yup, all the way from Va.

I would say the SC is worth 11K if it is in great shape. Sounds like he's had some major maintenance done with the oil leaks and all. Do make sure he's had a recent valve adjustment, a pop-off valve and upgraded tensioners installed...those are all good insurance policies as suggested in a previous thread.

KBB is fairly off track in my book when it comes to valuing Porsches. Also, Porsches seem to sell for a bit more in the Midwest...I know, I'm from Nebraska. But if he paid 10K for it and had the engine pulled, etc. - he's likely just trying to get his $$$$$ back out of it.

Quick Reply: what is this SC worth?