Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

BUYING my first porsche

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 11:49 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by w00tPORSCHE
Although every 911 since its inception is unique in it's own right, typical advice for a first time 911 buyer is to get an SC (from '78) onwards. These cars are more affordable, easy to live with and fun to drive. Well sorted out examples of earlier cars command a premium price.
Yeah, I would say if you can afford one a 964/993 wouldn't be a bad first car either. They are a little easier to live with if you plan on driving your 911 a lot.

And they do like to be driven, and hate to sit around in the garage.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:56 AM
Andy Kay
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

revjim,
A fellow rennlister named Pingman has two 911s for sale in your budget and he lives never Atlanta. Do a search...with a heavy heart and empty soul. 86 black coupe and 87 blue targa. Recently lost a job and needs to sell. Good luck and welcome to Rennlist.
Old 08-31-2010, 12:33 PM
hbtd
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

revjim,

I just bought my first 911 ('86) and was facing the same issues. To follow up on makmov's post, a few more questions to think about:

- Is color important to you?
- Want a stock car or are a few mods OK?
- How many miles do you expect to drive per month?
- What about insurance?
- What is your purchase budget vs your monthly maintenance budget?
- Are you willing to forgo a PPI? (some sellers really try to avoid it)
- Are you able to do minor maintenance your self?
- Do you have a mileage limit?
- Is a engine rebuild a requirement?
- Are you planning to garage it?
- How long do you want to wait to buy a car?

One thing that help me was to do a nationwide search on Autotrader for a specfic model year. That gives you a good indication on cars and prices. Also, I highly recommend finding a shop BEFORE you buy. Talk to them about models and issues.

Good luck.
Old 08-31-2010, 03:09 PM
pingman
Advanced

revjim,
The pingman here. 79 Euro spoke of me. I have been able to sell my '86 Coupe to a fine gentleman in Ellijay. He went to J,ville Fla to look at a car, swung by here and looked at both of mine, drove both of mine and took one home. I still have an '87 Targa that is going to hit autotrader this week. 119,300 miles, Venetian blue, blue interior, overall good condition inside and out, BBS wheels in gold and silver. A/C needs new seals, headliner a little loose on a good condition targa top. Never wrecked always loved and garaged and covered. I encouraged the new owner of the '86 to join rennlist, so we may hear from him on the condition of the '87 or '86. I am asking $12,500 for the '87 but will list it in autotrader for $13,500. If you need pics send me a pm. Thanks for your time. Thanks 79 Euro for remembering me.
Old 09-04-2010, 03:36 PM
Steven12xu
AutoX

Default Pingmans' Targa

Hello. I bought Pingmans' '86 Coupe and I'm thrilled with it. I was the first person to actually show up and see his cars. Know how I know? He still had them.
His '87 Targa is a tight, strong running car. I didn't really spend that much time on it because the Coupe was exactly what I wanted and it was in much better shape than he described.
I drove three cars this time around before buying one and if I'd wanted a Targa I'd be driving the '87. Before the mandatory PPI guys crucify me, if a car is right, you'll know it. Both of the Pingmans' are right. Some cosmetics and fix the AC and you've got a nice, cheap Targa.
I drove about twelve before I bought an '88 several years ago and both of Marks' cars ride and drive as good as anything else I've seen and he's asking thousands less than for other cars that are in similar condition. His disclosure is 100% and you won't be misled. I am impressed enough with his honesty and integrity to pay $17.95 for this membership. Now that's an endorsement.
Also, if you're around metro Atlanta and you need an excellent mechanic check out Beal Hardy at Checkpoint Auto in Marietta. I've known him for about twenty years and his work is excellent. He fixes it right the first time and there's no subterfuge.
Old 09-04-2010, 04:00 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

I hate to say this Steve as I know what the cars look like .. but to be welcome here you have to post a pic of your new ride ... and welcome to the club of course
Old 09-04-2010, 08:36 PM
Steven12xu
AutoX

I only joined to testify for Pingman. I'm gone.
Old 09-04-2010, 08:41 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

? That makes no sense. I was gonna say welcome.

It's customary to post pics, and since this is a small community we sort of haze each other for pics of which we speak.

Welcome anyway.
Old 09-05-2010, 09:45 PM
yumyum1667
Racer

Hey there and welcome from another Atlanta member. I just picked up a nice 88 here locally and am very pleased with the condition of the car and the deal I got. I researched and researched for years and the market got so soft I finally pulled the trigger. I think if you can push the budget up just a bit there are some really nice runners out there. Mine is not a museum piece but was solid all around for not much more than what you are looking to spend.

Give me a shout if you want to go for a ride sometime. My wife and I are headed to the North GA mountains tomorrow to run the hills for the first time. It should be fun.

Greg
Old 09-05-2010, 11:16 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

No need to pay to post...that was strange.

Quick Reply: BUYING my first porsche