Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Indy shop screws up, more than one way

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 01:31 AM
salukijac
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Indy shop screws up, more than one way

A while ago I posted here that my throttle linkage had come off and I was not able to repair it myself. I had my car towed to the local shop in the Springs where my car has been serviced for the past year.

They repaired the linkage but a week later after I got my car back I noticed that the sleeve between the heater elbow and the fan was missing. My wife had picked up my car as I was out town and she would have not noticed that it was misssing even if she looked. I called the shop to let them know and the owner stated that they had it but forgot to put it back on. I drove my car back to the shop to get it back on but when I got there, the one they had was not the one that came off my as it wouldn't fit.

At this time I wondering what the heck is going on. So I asked the owner, where mine was. He stated that it broked as they were taking it off and the mechanic that took it off forgot to let him know and did not get a chance to order a new one. He promise me to order a new at their cost.

Almost 4 weeks go by and no sign of the sleeve. I called the shop and left a message for them and no answer from them. I drove to the shop on a Friday to find out if they had my sleeve and the mechanic tells me that they are preparing for a weekend race, to check back with them on Monday. I went my way.

I called te shop on Monday and finally they have my part. I told them that I was coming in so they can install it. In less than 5 minutes the new sleeve was installed and I went my merry way. I was not very happy with how the whole thing went down. I started thinking about looking for another shop.

Fast forward at least a month to today. After going to run errands, I get home and decide to check my oil level. I topped off the oil and then I look around the engine bay as I always do. Guess what I found laying on top of the left top valve cover...the f...ing sleeve!!!!...the original one!!!! I know it was not there before as I looked around the engine bay when I changed the oil last. I have been driving this car for over a month with this sleeve in the engine bay.

Not only did their customer service was subpar, they lied about what happened to the sleeve and left the part laying around the engine bay.

These guys are lucky the engine was not damaged by this sleeve, but tomorrow they are going to hear from me.
Old 08-30-2010, 02:28 AM
aadrew10
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the grand scheme of things its not that big of a deal. I wouldn't waste the energy venting at them. Just find another shop.
Old 08-30-2010, 02:41 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Or say nuthin' and sell the new one on eBay.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:27 AM
rockrimmon
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you reply here or PM me the name of the shop? I live in the same town and am planning on having some service soon.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:39 AM
Makmov
Drifting

You probably need to bring it up to Denver to get good work done a Porsche.

There is a lot of hack shops in the Springs.
Old 08-30-2010, 12:48 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm really confused. Can you post a picture of the "sleeve," so I can comment?
Old 08-30-2010, 03:26 PM
salukijac
Burning Brakes

The sleeve in the red circle was in the spot where red arrow is pointing to.

Attachment 470907

Maybe I'm over reacting but I can think of a couple scenarios where it could have been a very dangerous situation. Especially in the area where they were working (Throttle linkage).

I called the shop and told the owner I found the sleeve and reminded him he had told me the sleeve was damaged upon removal. He claimed that was what his mechanic told him and that he will have a conversation with him. I told him that was a good plan.

This is the same shop that in a previous occasion when I called to find out if my car was going to be ready by a certain time for pick up I was told "absolutely." 3 hours later when I went to pick up my car from an oil change, it was not done.

Last edited by salukijac; 12-28-2012 at 06:34 PM.
Old 08-30-2010, 03:50 PM
Rob Heath
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 on good shops in Denver.

John and Jim at Eisenbud's do really good work for me... both cars.
Old 08-30-2010, 03:55 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Looks to me like an "honest" understandable mistake/oversight made worse by not fessing up to the truth immediately.

On the other hand maybe no one remembered the truth...honestly thought the one they had was your's and then when it turned out it wasn't a quick "cover" story was made up. The important thing, to me, was that in the end the shop stood behind their work.
Old 08-30-2010, 04:05 PM
salukijac
Burning Brakes

I usually give folks the benefit of the doubt as long as they are honest and they stand behind their work. But if every time there is an issue, how long do you keep giving them chances.

Last year I was taking my car to Eurosport Limited in Englewood (45 minutes away) but I needed to find a local shop for emergencies. I may have to look into Eisenbuds for other routine work.
Old 08-30-2010, 04:30 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Eurosport Limited seems like they are good.

Dart Automotive is good there specialty is Porsche but work on Audi and BMW to stay alive.

Don't know Eisenbuds.

And if you really need to go to the dealer, Prestige is good. Stevenson not so much, they don't seem that interested in Porsche, not as much as they do Jaguar which is in the same building.

Working on them, which I had done professionally for some time and do on my own cars, is not really rocket science, it is just paying attention to details and not to take short cuts.
Old 08-30-2010, 04:39 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

Eisenbuds, Eurosport and Dart are all very good shops. I wouldn't go to the dealer for a vintage Porsche like that.

Reading the story, this is what I suspect happened. I am going to lay almost all the blame on the tech. The tech forgot to reinstall it. When his boss asked him what was going on, he made something up. Then it became the boss' problem. I further suspect that maybe the replacement part for your 23 year old car might have had to come out of Germany. I am by no means defending the shop. They should have both communicated with you better and been more forthright from the sound of things. While it's not a big deal what happened, it would make me think twice about taking my own car back there. What if it was something more essential that was overlooked? It's an attention to detail thing.
Old 08-30-2010, 04:45 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by salukijac
I usually give folks the benefit of the doubt as long as they are honest and they stand behind their work. But if every time there is an issue, how long do you keep giving them chances.
Precisely. Making up a story is; (1) bull ****, and (2) dishonest. Neither is good, and points to; (1) the mechanic not being truthful to the boss, (2) the boss not paying close enough attention to his mechanic's work, and (3) the boss doing a CYA instead of sorting out the issue on the spot. Neither is good.

Maybe the boss needs to be talked to, by you, as much as the mechanic needs to be talked to by the boss. Maybe the boss needs to be told that without people like you, he won't be able to afford to go racing. His priorities are messed up, racing prep is done after-hours, especially if you've got a "come back" to take care of. Nothing takes precedent over fixing a shop screw-up.
Old 08-30-2010, 05:46 PM
Makmov
Drifting

An up front explination would have gone a lot further than what actually happened.
Old 08-30-2010, 05:53 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Originally Posted by GTgears
Eisenbuds, Eurosport and Dart are all very good shops. I wouldn't go to the dealer for a vintage Porsche like that.

Reading the story, this is what I suspect happened. I am going to lay almost all the blame on the tech. The tech forgot to reinstall it. When his boss asked him what was going on, he made something up. Then it became the boss' problem. I further suspect that maybe the replacement part for your 23 year old car might have had to come out of Germany. I am by no means defending the shop. They should have both communicated with you better and been more forthright from the sound of things. While it's not a big deal what happened, it would make me think twice about taking my own car back there. What if it was something more essential that was overlooked? It's an attention to detail thing.
I wouldn't either but some people just insist on going to the dealer.

Quick Reply: Indy shop screws up, more than one way