Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

FS '88 Carrera 3.2 - 60k miles

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 02:18 PM
d_p_bender
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FS '88 Carrera 3.2 - 60k miles

After much deliberation, I have elected to sell the pcar. I will be posting in the usual locations (flea bay, PCA, etc.) in the next week or so.

Car can be viewed here ===> http://www.flickr.com/photos/46678043@N05/

PM me for details, info and sutff like that.

-db
Old 08-21-2010, 02:29 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for sharing, but you have to be a member to post for sale ads.
Old 08-21-2010, 06:59 PM
d_p_bender
Track Day

Sorry. It appears my membership has expired. I will renew it and repost.

-db
Old 08-21-2010, 07:03 PM
d_p_bender
Track Day

I am now officially official.
Old 08-21-2010, 07:20 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 61 Posts

Dan, GLWS. It looks pristine in those pics. You may want to post other details like mileage, asking price, current location of car, any major rebuild/repair history ...just to name a few.
Old 08-21-2010, 07:45 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

Rules also stipulate to mention location and asking price
Old 08-22-2010, 12:27 AM
d_p_bender
Track Day

Thanks all for reminding me of the rules. I have never been much of a guy for rules. Just ask my parents…on second thought, don’t.

OK, here’s the (brief) story. All of this is from memory. I have the documentation and will verify the details with any interested buyers.

I bought the car in 2006 from Tom Simmons at Midwest Performance Cars. This was the second car I had purchased from Tom. Good guy, no longer sells cars and has refocused his business on service.

Tom had picked up the car at an auction. I am third true owner. The car was originally titled in Tennessee owned by a dentist and then sold to a second owner, likely known to the original owner (appears to be in the same town as the first owner and I think even the same last name).

I purchased the car with ~50k miles on it. I have all the service records. Again going from memory, the major work done to the car at that point had been upgrading the alternator, installation of H4 headlights and an AC recharge.

Since I have owned the car, I have made some (minor) investments. In 2007, I had a top end rebuild done by Midwest Performance, the guys who sold me the car. While doing the 50k valve adjustment, the mechanic took the car for a test drive and a valve stuck open. The teardown revealed a lot of carbon build-up. The mechanic suspects the original owner(s) had run lower octane and/or crappy fuel, causing a build up of carbon. Likely a piece of carbon broke off, holding a valve open. Either way, it now has new valves. Also done at that time, new bronze bushings for the clutch and had the brake calipers reconditioned.

I then set upon a series of upgrades including: Installation of a new stereo, amp and speakers performed by Tweeter. Again from memory, Sony amp (installed under the hood), Alpine head unit with CD and ipod interface and Polk Audio speakers in the doors and Infinity monitors in the back. I retained the original rear grill covers so the installation looks as close to stock as possible. I kept the old Blaupunkt unit in the event someone wanted to go back to the original look. Also, I had the shop install dynamat in the doors to improve the sound.

In the last year, I had a suspension upgrade done by Midwest Eurosport. That little project included Elephant racing level 1 parts, turbo tie rods, bump steer kit, new Bilstein shocks and a host of bronze bushings. Additionally, Eurosport set the rake and ride height to European spec and corner balanced the car. I have to say, it rides like a champ.

Additional minor work includes AC recharge (2009), the usual oil changes (Castrol GTX performed this spring) and new tires (Michelin Sports I believe also in 2009) and new front rotors/pads (OEM-2009), new front windshield rubber and new rear windshield trim (spring 2010). And some minor work done by me, the clock was reconditioned by Hollywood Speedo, the fuel gage/oil gage was replaced (I have the original) and the center heating/controller was replaced by Midwest Eurosport. Mechanically the car really does need nothing done at this point. I have all the receipts for my work and work done by the previous owners. AC works and blows cold, heater works and actually modulates the interior temperature nicely (for a 22 year-old Porsche, that is). I have all the original floor mats, etc. (car shown with Coco Mats in the front).

Now, the minor(?) issues. There are some cosmetic things that I have not gotten around to fixing. Including a cracked dash (which can be either covered or remolded for less than $1,000) and a minor tear in the right rear corner of the headliner. I got a similar, $1,000 estimate for a new headliner. As both projects require pulling out and reinstalling the windows I figured I would have them done at the same time. Just haven’t gotten around to it.

Additionally, I drive the car regularly. It is 20+ years old and so shows some minor dings and nicks on the body and paint. No rust, none.

The usual questions, why sell? I am selling to finance two additional projects, 1) the launch of a new business venture and 2) the spring of 2011 acquisition of an SC as a restoration project for me to work on with my sons (two things I’ve wanted to do for sometime). Does it leak /burn oil? It leaks a little; a few small drops appear on the floor when the car sits through the winter. (Going from memory, I was told this is due to a leaky chain tensioner oil-line in the forward part of the engine and not worth the investment to fix -according to Emil at Midwest Performance). It burns the usual amount of oil, about a half-quart every 3,000 miles or so.

Given that it is mechanically sound (in my opinion), documented history and low mileage I will be listing the car for around $30 k and take the best offer I can get.

Oh, and I live just outside of the Chicago in the Western suburbs.
Old 08-28-2010, 02:24 PM
LUCKe27
Racer

That's a hefty price for an '88 911. Just my $.02. Probably worth low 20's, mid 20's if you find the right buyer. Let us know how you do.
Old 08-28-2010, 07:55 PM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Sounds like a fantastic car, I agree though, price is high in today's market. I'm looking to sell my SC and I know I'm going to take a huge hit, there is a glut of cars out there...
Old 08-28-2010, 09:37 PM
raspberryroadster
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KNS
Sounds like a fantastic car, I agree though, price is high in today's market. I'm looking to sell my SC and I know I'm going to take a huge hit, there is a glut of cars out there...
tend to agree (even tho' mods you have done are really nice)....you are up into premium 964 territory or unmolested 911 perfect 911 range.
Old 08-28-2010, 10:51 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,109 Likes on 793 Posts

He did say he will take th best offer he can get so makes the asking price just a starting point .. to get top dollar however your car has to be in top condition .. the dash is a deal killer for most . consider having it repaired along with the headliner and you might get closer to your asking price or at least it will sell ... people wiill see issues and have reason to lowball otherwise ..

GLWS

Last edited by theiceman; 08-29-2010 at 12:18 AM.
Old 08-28-2010, 11:50 PM
jakeflyer
Pro

Nice car.
Old 08-29-2010, 02:32 AM
Makmov
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, looks like a nice car, but 30K?

You might not even have anyone looking at it. 30 is steep, that is 930 money. 20 if it is really nice. You can get a pretty nice Carrera for high teens these days.
Old 09-01-2010, 01:44 PM
kurt0811
Rennlist Member

I'm inclined to agree with the others...30K is very steep in this market. At that price, it would almost have to be a garage queen/concours winner. And that would kind of preclude any sort of DD, or even fun car. It sounds like a great car, and you certainly have done some nice upgrades, but at that price...
Old 09-01-2010, 04:16 PM
Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by kurt0811
I'm inclined to agree with the others...30K is very steep in this market. At that price, it would almost have to be a garage queen/concours winner. And that would kind of preclude any sort of DD, or even fun car. It sounds like a great car, and you certainly have done some nice upgrades, but at that price...
+1.

Don't take this as negative, since many hope you do get that asking price. Me included.

I've got a 41k mile, original 2 owner pristine 3.2, no paintwork, and docs down to original window sticker, with a full engine-out service/detail/reseal just completed. Soon as I can find a quality 993C4S, I plan to ask a decent amount less than yours for mine.

This is not in any way to 'compete' with yours, only to compete amid what is a very competitive market. If you get close to your asking price - and I sure hope you do - it'll be a boon to many!

Nice car for sure. Best wishes.

Last edited by Adams; 09-01-2010 at 07:54 PM.

Quick Reply: FS '88 Carrera 3.2 - 60k miles