Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Getting tired of the Dealer, Local shop recomendations?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 08:03 PM
grant911
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting tired of the Dealer, Local shop recomendations?

Hey guys. Since I was 16 I have been faithfully taking all my Porsche, VW, and Audi cars almost exclusively to Autohaus in Lancaster PA. I guess I should have started by saying I'm from Pa (chester/berks county) before asking for help.... In either event, I have absolutely loved the service, the people, the quality of work, I could go on, but I'm getting fed up with taking my cars in and never being able to get out under $1000. Yes I know these cars are expensive, but there has got to be a local shop that does great work for less. Maybe not, that's why I'm asking. I'm not mechanically inclined, nor do I have time to work on my cars. So if anyone knows of a shop, please let me know. I'd really appreciate it!! Once again, this is nothing negative on Autohaus, I'd recommend them to anyone!!!
Old 08-18-2010, 08:45 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ever since I was 16, I have taken my Porsches (yes a beat to hell old 356) to a dealer mechanic who would work out of his garage on weekends. Now he's retired, and I still take stuff to him and recommend other people to take their Porsches and Mercedes to him. For the longest time he never even charged an hourly rate. I'd be embarrased to say what he used to charge me for his labor.

You want to find a guy like him.
Old 08-18-2010, 09:05 PM
ron_dargenio
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by grant911
Hey guys. Since I was 16 I have been faithfully taking all my Porsche, VW, and Audi cars almost exclusively to Autohaus in Lancaster PA. I guess I should have started by saying I'm from Pa (chester/berks county) before asking for help.... In either event, I have absolutely loved the service, the people, the quality of work, I could go on, but I'm getting fed up with taking my cars in and never being able to get out under $1000. Yes I know these cars are expensive, but there has got to be a local shop that does great work for less. Maybe not, that's why I'm asking. I'm not mechanically inclined, nor do I have time to work on my cars. So if anyone knows of a shop, please let me know. I'd really appreciate it!! Once again, this is nothing negative on Autohaus, I'd recommend them to anyone!!!
Give Bill Boys a try at Possum Hollow Motorsports in Phoenixville Pa. 610-933-6868. I have known him for many years and he is a true man of integrity and expertise. Has been working on Porsches since before 1980, when I met him.
Old 08-18-2010, 09:18 PM
grant911
Pro

Originally Posted by ron_dargenio
Give Bill Boys a try at Possum Hollow Motorsports in Phoenixville Pa. 610-933-6868. I have known him for many years and he is a true man of integrity and expertise. Has been working on Porsches since before 1980, when I met him.
Thank you so much! I just sent an email, and joined the mailing list. I'm certainly going to go there for my next visit. That looks like the type of personal service that I'm looking for. He claims he'll treat every car like it's his own, and he's a big enthusiast. Thanks again!!
Old 08-18-2010, 09:47 PM
lparrotta
Track Day

You might also consider Dougherty Automotive in West Chester (610-692-6039) (http://www.doughertyautomotive.com/ ). Bill is ex-Penske crew chief with too many years of experience.

They've serviced both my Porsches for years when I'm over my head. They're not always cheap, but they take care of the car like it was their own and they communicate very well.

I've never really hit it off with Autohaus either (Sales, Services, or Parts). The best that I can say about them is the parts desk in open on Saturday. Now if they only had what I needed.

Quick Reply: Getting tired of the Dealer, Local shop recomendations?