Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

cable snapped & sunroof stuck shut

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2001, 12:01 AM
CE
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face cable snapped & sunroof stuck shut

While shutting the sunroof yesterday I heard a loud metalic clunk noise. The motor sill runs but the sun roof does not slide open anymore. After reviewing the workshop manuals, I removed the motor and the gear holding the cables. The cables are clearly snapped because I can slide them all the way out.

My problem is the sunroof is locked in the closed position and will not slide open. Any ideas on how I could get it open?

Thanks.
Old 06-11-2001, 01:07 AM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Arrow

If my memory serves me, there is no nothing to hold the sunroof shut if both cables are broken. You should be able to, for lack of a better term, pry it open. Try using your fingers first, of course, then think of some "graceful" way to do it if that doesn't work.

Sunroof cable replacement is fairly easy...keep one thing in mind, they will send you two of the same cable...that is, you will have to file down and modify the slider on the passenger side, Porsche stopped making the slightly different right hand cable, supposedly, and now just offers the left side.

Get yourself a Haynes manual, no kidding, that's what I used two years ago to replace the cables on my SC, they do a pretty good job of walking you through the procedure.

Good luck!
Old 06-11-2001, 12:04 PM
john walkers workshop
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the roof stays shut because of the over center lift levers on each cable. you need to pop the front of the sunroof headliner down, using a 90° hook tool carefully inserted under the front of the panel and pull to release the pop in clips. slide it back into the hole. you will see the overcenter levers on each side of the sunroof at rear. pop them back with a screwdriver, to drop down the rear of the panel. remove 8 little bolts, slip out the rear metal lockstrips (the rear bolts went thru them), and remove the panel. easy.
Old 06-11-2001, 03:13 PM
CE
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Hey John, thanks for the tip.

Ugh.. With the roof shut all the way I can't get infront of the headliner to snap the headliner off. The roof is completely shut.

-Carlo
Old 06-12-2001, 12:04 AM
john walkers workshop
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i fix these all the time. there's room to insert a 90° hook tool in the crack, turn it so the hook gets under the headliner and pull down to pop the clips loose.

Quick Reply: cable snapped & sunroof stuck shut