Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Where do I get an appraisal done on my 911 for insurance purposes!?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2002, 01:18 PM
Lush Daddy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Where do I get an appraisal done on my 911 for insurance purposes!?

I'm tryint to 're-classify' my '89 911 through State Farm, and they asked me to get an appraisal done on it so that they could insure it for it's 'true' value and not what their book says.

I went to the local Porsche dealership, and they won't do it, nor do they know of anyone who can?!

After a million phone calls, I found someone who will do it, but he wants roughly $400 to do it!!!!!!!!!!!!! What's the point in saving $300 off of my insurance if it costs me $400 to do it!

Does ANYONE know of where I can get a true appraisal done cheaply and not just one from straight book value? The car only has roughly 15k on it, so 'book value' goes out the window!

HELP!

David
Old 04-17-2002, 01:30 PM
Chris Martin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My state farm agent gave me the option of an appraisal or lots of documentation. I took in some photos, repair receipts and bruce anderson's column from excellence and he said that was enough.

Just a thought.
Old 04-17-2002, 02:19 PM
MarkM
Burning Brakes

Question

Have you tried the PCA valuation service?

<a href="http://www.pca.org/members/valuation.html" target="_blank">http://www.pca.org/members/valuation.html</a>
Old 04-17-2002, 07:19 PM
Vampire
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 26 Posts
I had my ’86 low mileage Targa, totaled out by a State Farm driven car. I went to the PCA Valuation site and received a nice valuation letter. The letter stated how they came up with the value. It was done sight unseen and it stated that. After a few weeks of polite arguing with State Farm they paid me more than the valuation and 25% more than the original offer. It may have been a mistake, but I didn’t have them double check!

I had also emphasized what a rare car it was, especially with the low miles. A tear in your may help as well.
Old 04-17-2002, 09:45 PM
nate
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Get the PCA valuation form and a letter from a reputable shop estimating the condition of the car ("This car is in better shape than x% of the 911s built in 1989"). This should give you a rough estimate of what your car would be worth on the open market. I asked my State Farm rep about mine, and they told me not to worry about it. Still, I have the letters just in case.

Good luck!
Old 04-21-2002, 03:34 AM
txrcr
3rd Gear

Thumbs up

I just had my Porsche appraised by a guy today, so that my insurance is based according to my particular vehicle. Now in the event of theft or total loss, I will recieve what this car is really worth with all of my mods and such, rather than what other models of similar yr, and miles are going for. My premium will increase but it is worth it. I have totalled a custom porsche in the past and getting what is was really worth was a challenge. Anyway, contact Sam Simonton and ask him for a reference of someone in your area.
Sam Simonton-214-704-7126-cell

Quick Reply: Where do I get an appraisal done on my 911 for insurance purposes!?