Clunking on accel/decel

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 07:47 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Clunking on accel/decel

I developed a solid clunking on accel/decel today that I'm trying to determine if it is clutch related or CV related. It can best be described as driveline "lash".

After stopping at the entry gate to collect my parking ticket, I made a spirited exit. During acceleration I felt a shudder develop at around 5k in 1st gear and it carried through into 2nd gear.

When I backed off the throttle I felt a definite "clunk/clank" that followed throttle closure by about one second. This is very repeatable with on/off throttle.

From a stand-still there is no lash or clunk. Only when rolling and going on/off throttle.

I didn't have time to look at the half-shafts to see if there was something obviously loose so I don't have a datapoint there.

FWIW, clutch action is smooth and consistent. It was a little "notchy" at the floor a few weeks ago then straightened out and is smooth.

Also, it is definitely not the sway bar mounts. They are in tact and of the updated design.

The car has 78k miles and I believe the clutch is original.

I did a search and found a similar issue that rmlm was having but never got the impression he completely resolved it or didn't report back.

I'm out of town for a few days while the car sits so I'm open for a good debate on the topic!

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-10-2010, 08:25 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

I'd vote for CV's. Don't drive it until you check them. It may not be the joints, it could also be loose or missing bolts. Put it up in the air, they are easy to inspect. If one let's go, it can be dangerous and expensive. Don't drive it until you check the CV's!
Old 08-10-2010, 08:36 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One of the guys here in San Antonio had the same sounds. The bolts on the left side of the halfshaft at the transmission came out and as they did, the halfshaft rotated and hit the accelerator rod and put a hefty bend in it. This in turn caused the accelerator rod to shorten quickly and the engine rev quite high. He shut it down and had a flat bed tow it home as it was late at night. We checked it over the next day and that is what I found. Also found all the bolts in the CV joints were loose. Since those are stretch bolts, we replaced all of them and torqued them to spec. The I had to remove the accelerator rod and straighten it. I'm with Ed, sounds like CV joints. Check em out.
Old 08-10-2010, 08:47 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

I hope it is as simple as torquing the bolts to get me home. It is sitting at the airport right now. I will catch a cab home and come back with tools and jack stands...... This is should get some looks.

Ron, your friend's story is pretty scary. I hope he didn't damage the engine.

I'm planning on a new clutch in the next 12 months. I'd rather do it later than sooner.

Ed, did you use the Schnorr washers when you re-assembled Ruby? Has anybody used the setup being advertised on PP here?

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...-cv-bolts.html
Old 08-10-2010, 08:54 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I would bet that your clutch disc is broken, and if the CVs are tight, you will soon develop shifting problems in addition to your existing symptoms.
Old 08-10-2010, 08:57 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

You can do CV bolts independant of the clutch. The bolts you reference are actualy posted here too-the thread still must be on the front page.

Ironically, I broke down and ordered a set yesterday or the one before. Seems like cheap insurance. I've found a loose bolt twice, and this is on my semi- annual check list. Should be on everyone's.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:01 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

more cheap insurance. Less than $10 per bag of 100

http://www.mcmaster.com/#metric-washers/=8cknvw

hit the belleville link, select "serrated", and find your size.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:09 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Peter Zimmermann
I would bet that your clutch disc is broken, and if the CVs are tight, you will soon develop shifting problems in addition to your existing symptoms.
Hi Pete, thanks for weighing in here. Are you saying that the shifting problems will be a result of a broken clutch disc or something more advanced?

I think I did notice more noise from the tranny after the clunking began.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:12 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

You need to turn in your car when you get home. The only Porsche I've ever left at an airport was the 928.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:15 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rusnak
more cheap insurance. Less than $10 per bag of 100

http://www.mcmaster.com/#metric-washers/=8cknvw

hit the belleville link, select "serrated", and find your size.
Thanks, rusnak. I used to order from Mc-C years ago and forget about them for hardware.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:18 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
You need to turn in your car when you get home. The only Porsche I've ever left at an airport was the 928.
I knew I'd catch $hit for that. In fact, I remember seeing your car at the DFW airport once.

It is a long story that involves in-laws who need transportation and I need to get to the airport. Sometimes three cars aren't enough. Luckily it is as terminal D in an end-spot parked way out of the way.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:32 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

I used to drive around for 30-45 minutes to try and find the perfect spot. Several times I had notes left on the car by both friends and strangers. Used to crack up over that. I also used to set off a lot of car alarms in the garages.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:05 PM
csmab
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts

Scott,

I vote for calling AAA and getting a tow home. You will have airport security thinking you are stealing your own car. ha Good luck. Crawling under your car in 100 degree heat at the airport doesn't sound like much fun. AAA was a good investment when I purchased my car. It has already paid for itself with 2 tows in the past 12 months.

Craig
Old 08-10-2010, 11:18 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Too bad the car isn't in San Diego. Airport temp is only 70F.
Old 08-12-2010, 03:01 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Well..... All axle bolts were tight so it appears to be the clutch. Kudos to Pete for diagnosing it based on my goofy explanation.

I went ahead and drove it home and as Pete noted, shift quality is deteriorating.

I guess I need to start planning the drivetrain drop and all the WYAIT stuff like vacuum hoses, fuel lines, etc.

Quick Reply: Clunking on accel/decel