Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Fuel Pump electrical supply

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2003, 06:01 PM
DandyD
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Fuel Pump electrical supply

MY P-car left me stranded on the side of the road with what appeared to be a failed fuel pump. After more research I found that the pump was good, but not getting any power. I was able to jump the fuse panel and get power from #1-4 (Brake lights / Cruise) to the #1 - 3 (Fuel pump) to get her home. I see that the main relay is under the seat and plan to look at it this weekend. I was wondering if there are any "known problems" with the 87 or any experiences out there I should know about....

Thanks,
Don
Old 02-28-2003, 10:44 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dandyd, the 3.2 Carrera's (87-89)have had problems with the DME Relay going Kaput. Mine went south at about 87,000 miles. They are under the drivers seat next to the computer and cost from $30-$50 depending on where you buy it. Pelican, Tweeks, or Performance products may have them or your local Porsche shop may be able to get one for you. I bought two....one to install immediately and a spare for the glove box. They are very easy to install. No problems since.
Old 03-11-2003, 09:48 PM
DandyD
Track Day

I have ordered the Main\Fuel Pump realy from Pelican, and they are insistant about the fact that there is another round 5-pin fuel relay (red) on the main fuse panel in the boot. I have a Bentley manual and there are 6 used relays on the panel. None of which indicate fuel pump. Anyone with more insight? Again, I am able to jump from fuse 7 to fuse 6 (fuel pump fuse) and I am able to drive the car. Without the jump, it will not start.
Old 03-12-2003, 05:32 AM
pjc
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
The fuse box itself has a habit of failing (fatigue)on these models leading to apparent fuse failure - when the fuse is checked all appears OK. This happened to me last year on a '86 Turbo - the fuse box cracked down behind the fuel pump fuse, it's difficult to spot but easy (and relatively inexpensive) to fix.

Peter
Old 03-12-2003, 06:02 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
The most embarrassing event ever with my 78 Targa happened years ago. We boarded a ferry in downtown Seattle and the crew was nice enough, went out of their way, to put me front and center for when we docked.

When we docked the car would not start, engine would crank but no fire!

Between the crew and myself we jostled the car here and there so the other lanes could exit and then they brought a jitney on board to tow me off.

I remember someone in the crowd waiting to board shouting "get a horse"!

Luckily I had my field service tool kit on board and shortly discovered I had no fuel pressure as a result of a fuse holder with no "springiness" left. I quickly bypassed the fuse holder with a simple inline fuse/holder and went on my way.

Later analysis was that the inrush current to the fuel pump was 4 times the fuse rating which over time (ten years??) had heated the holder enough that it had lost its "spring" and was not clamping down on the fuse tight enough to make a good connection.
Old 03-13-2003, 11:12 PM
DandyD
Track Day

Thanks to all for their creative problems and solutions. As it turned out, the main\fuel pump DME relay did the trick. ...and I never found another fuel pump relay on the fuse panel. I don't think there is one for that year.

Quick Reply: Fuel Pump electrical supply