Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

'72 911 Targa - Price check in aisle T!

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 11:30 PM
Alpine 88
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too wondered about the chain, and also the shield-shaped patch on the passenger-side door. Also, it looks like the oil-filler door is a little stoved in.

Those old cars can sound incredible. I was behind one for a bit tonight, couldn't tell the year, also a Targa. He decided to turn around, and was probably at about 4,500 rpm when he came back past me, by which time I had my window open (wasn't in my 911). What a roar!
Old 08-10-2010, 06:09 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 242 Likes on 133 Posts

Until you can get that engine running it's even harder to put a price on it. From strictly an appearance perspective the car will need a lot of attention. I would not value it above $8500 in its present state, even if you do get it to run. It looks like it has had an exterior color change from blue to what, flat grey? The interior is a bit rough, and would need wholesale replacement.

Unless the vehicle was well protected from rodents, I would suspect that the engine may have several nests on it--which would have to be sorted out before you consider starting it again. They tend to like to put down nesting material on top of the cylinders inside the engine shrouds and getting to that is a bitch. But, you have to get to it to clear it or the engine will immediately overheat and then you will trash it.

I would pull the engine and look for signs. Check your wiring insulation for teeth marks, etc.

If the right person bought this car, and sunk some money into it, it would well be a very fine long nose 911 saved from the elements!
Old 08-16-2010, 04:04 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

A clean, no excuses 911T driver is worth maybe $18K... so back out the work this car needs... engine, body/paint, interior, and running gear, and my math is something like negative $6K

Old 08-16-2010, 04:25 PM
sobamaflyer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JCP911S
A clean, no excuses 911T driver is worth maybe $18K... so back out the work this car needs... engine, body/paint, interior, and running gear, and my math is something like negative $6K

....and we see why so many cars that honestly do have a shot at being a nice little toy become parts cars. I'd take it on but I'm the type that prefers a really low initial investment knowing that I'll spend years and thousands (but over time) getting it "right".

I'm not particularly sane or practical but without morons like me the car hobby for "regular" guys would die out and there would be no more [fill in the blank of relatively low cost vintage cars] left in the world .

I'd love to know what ultimately happens to this car!
Old 08-16-2010, 05:16 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Check out my avatar, and you'll know where I come out on the sane-o-meter...

Quick Reply: '72 911 Targa - Price check in aisle T!