Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

What is the best over the counter engine cleaner for our 911's

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 01:22 PM
talane
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the best over the counter engine cleaner for our 911's

Time to clean the engine. Do you guys recommend any specific engine cleaner? I've used others in the past on different cars that I did not think worked very well. What do you use?
Old 08-03-2010, 01:38 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It depends on how dirty the engine is. Don't use anything harsher than dish soap on rubber, cloth, or paint. Your de-greaser of choice should be applied to a wet engine, not dry. Cold, not hot. I use degreaser on the bottom side of the engine, and plain old soap on the top side. My de-greaser of choice is either Purple Power or Super Clean. But do not use full strength, and rinse it immediately or it'll etch aluminum. I like it because it rinses clean and leaves no residue like other degreasers. I dislike Simple Green because I can still smell it on the metal after rinsing. Use a small brush, and for really dirty build up, scrape with a plastic spatula.
Old 08-03-2010, 02:56 PM
The Race Line
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with you rusnak, Super Clean works great. Try not to let it dry on a surface though, and gloves are a must unless you want to watch your skin peel off your hands. (don't ask.)

Erik Johnson
(303) 895-4828 cell
Old 08-03-2010, 05:30 PM
oldskewel
Burning Brakes

Received 132 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by rusnak
... Your de-greaser of choice should be applied to a wet engine, not dry. Cold, not hot..
So I'll remember this better, why wet not dry, and why cold not hot (so it won't evaporate too quickly?)?
Old 08-03-2010, 07:01 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by oldskewel
So I'll remember this better, why wet not dry, and why cold not hot (so it won't evaporate too quickly?)?
If you spray it on a hot motor, it'll evaporate and possibly etch the metal. That stuff is acid. Even Purple Power will eat away some skin. But when you're trying to clean off a bunch of greasy dirt, it's probably what I'd use. I spray cool water on there first to dilute the acid slightly and offer some protection for the metal.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:40 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I try to clean when she's cold, as you Rusnak...lotsa good brushes,..lotsa elbow grease,..lotsa' rinsing......

Have graduated from my days of spraying brake cleaner on the hot VC covers (and such) then wiping down the bottom of the engine..how stupid.

Thanks.

Doyle
Old 08-03-2010, 11:39 PM
logan2z
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had excellent results using Autoglym Engine Cleaner:

Autoglym

I haven't found it OTC in my neck of the woods, but it's available online from a variety of sources.
Old 08-04-2010, 02:09 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

I haven't seen Autoglym in years. That's made in the UK, right? There used to be a hardware store in Irvine that I would get the entire Autoglym line of products from.
Old 08-05-2010, 02:08 AM
logan2z
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rusnak
I haven't seen Autoglym in years. That's made in the UK, right? There used to be a hardware store in Irvine that I would get the entire Autoglym line of products from.
Yes, made in the UK. I've never seen it for sale locally, but I usually order it from Autopia Car Care.
Old 08-05-2010, 06:24 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

I use brake cleaner a lot to take off that mess.
Old 08-05-2010, 06:44 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
I use brake cleaner a lot to take off that mess.
Every trip to Pep Boys includes picking up several green cans of CRC Brakleen. It often removes more than I want it to, but it is such an awesome cleaner I'll forgive it that flaw. The spray is so cold it is great at removing warts too.
Old 08-05-2010, 07:30 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,114 Likes on 796 Posts

Autoglym must be making a revival ..haven't seen it in years and now it is in just about every Auto store .. great stuff
Old 08-05-2010, 10:36 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by douglas bray
Every trip to Pep Boys includes picking up several green cans of CRC Brakleen. It often removes more than I want it to, but it is such an awesome cleaner I'll forgive it that flaw. The spray is so cold it is great at removing warts too.
+2. 1/2 the cost of my rebuild was CRS Brake Cleaner.
Old 08-06-2010, 01:08 AM
Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
+2. 1/2 the cost of my rebuild was CRS Brake Cleaner.
Wow, never used the stuff myself. Read a negative review about brain cancer and brake cleaner's active ingredient, thus put 'em all in the same category.

Is the CRC cleaner safer than the former versions? Or is my recall that of elder internet lore? Would love to find something stronger than Simple Green and various engine cleaners.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:33 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Adams
Wow, never used the stuff myself. Read a negative review about brain cancer and brake cleaner's active ingredient, thus put 'em all in the same category.

Is the CRC cleaner safer than the former versions? Or is my recall that of elder internet lore? Would love to find something stronger than Simple Green and various engine cleaners.
Well, I read that someone was killed on the freeway last night, but I still will take my chances this weekend.

With eye protection, respirator and gloves, I felt pretty well protected. Fairly benign cleaners have their limitations, and when cleaning internal engine parts, you don't want any residue.

Quick Reply: What is the best over the counter engine cleaner for our 911's