Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Value of 911 SC targas

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 12:13 PM
BMWinVegas
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Value of 911 SC targas

Good Morning. I am new to the Rennlist and have started to shop for an SC, but have a lot of questions. To start, I am brand new to Porsche's and have always been a bimmer guy (74 2002 tii, 75 3.0 csi, 98 528i), so I really don't have a lot of Porsche knowledge...

I'm looking for a SC targa in good to excellent condition. I have seen a few on ebay and on craigslist, but have seen a wide range of values for them. What can I expect to pay for a solid SC targa, no accidents, no rust, good running condition and overall condition? It seems the good ones have been right in the 16-20k range from what I've seen...

Second, is there anything that I should be especially careful of? Any years better than others? Also, what would be the best place to look for one? I'm located in Las Vegas, so anywhere in the Phoenix or SoCal area are easy accessible for me.

Any help is appreciated

Thanks again

Brian
Old 07-30-2010, 12:16 PM
Helios59
Burning Brakes

Received 83 Likes on 37 Posts

Hey, Brian!

We're Propeller heads too, having owned a 325 wagon and a couple M3s.

You seem in the ball park on price, although you'll find plenty of SCs for less. It's still a buyer's market for the most part.

You'll get lots of good advice on this forum. To that let me add: get a copy of Pete Zimmermann's "The Used 911 Story." It's your "bible" and a lot of fun to read even after you get your car.

Good luck!
Ray
Old 08-03-2010, 12:36 AM
plumbum
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

agreed on Pete Zimmermann's book!

I have been in the market for a couple years...Unfortunatly I am on a bit of a budget that limits my choices but his book has helped me when inspecting and driving these cars as I know what to look for and what is an easy fix as well as what would be more expencive.

The fun (so far) has been in the search and I am patient and will find my Porsche

Good luck!
Old 08-03-2010, 12:43 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

so, do you know CIS cars, is that why you're looking at an 'SC? If you can work on BMWs, then you might consider a 3.2 911 in that price range. You'll find that working on a 911 is a lot more straightforward and simple compared to the BMWs.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:24 AM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You should be able to find a good SC Targa in the $12-14k range, they generally go for less than a comparable coupe. Keep in mind the AC on Porsches didn't get very good until the water-cooled cars, unless you don't mind roasting half to death in the summer. I see a number of Targas come up in CO in Denver Craigslist, but you can find good ones anywhere. They're pretty easy to find (or so it seems when you're not actively looking for one!), I wouldn't look to go too far to get one, at least for now.

Anyway, good luck!

Quick Reply: Value of 911 SC targas