Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Will anyone else be at the Pittsburgh Gran Prix this weekend?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 02:29 PM
lparrotta
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will anyone else be at the Pittsburgh Gran Prix this weekend?

It’s my first time there and I’ll actually be hanging out with the British guys on Saturday – I’m showing my Lotus formula car.

Does anyone have any advice on what not-to-miss and who’s got a good hospitality going on?
Old 07-21-2010, 09:26 PM
apperception
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default You'll love it!

I have been before but will not be there this time. My brother just called while driving a 1959 Turner in the parade. Next year Porsche is the featured marque. BTW, Audi is unveiling the new A8 at the PVGP.
Old 07-29-2010, 08:49 PM
Todd951968
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For those who couldn't make it, you missed a great one. There were a collection of better than new Yenko 427 Camaros, Chevelles, Novas and Stinger Yenko Corvairs.

Also, there was a 63(?) Ferrari GTO! One like it recently sold for $27MILLION! It was the first time I ever saw one in person. I was surprised at the rather crude craftsmanship. I mean, the body was beautiful. But some of the inside welds and interior were pretty primative. Granted its a race car. The guy DROVE it there from a Pittsburgh suburb!!!
Old 07-30-2010, 12:02 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

I''ve not heard of any GTO's for $27 mil....

What was this race about-strictly old muscle? I've not heard of this event prior to this.
Old 07-30-2010, 07:24 PM
lparrotta
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It was my first time there. It was an amazing show. My head was spinning the entire time. I barely had time to watch any of the racing.

BTW, I parked my trailer about a half mile away at the designated parking area and drove my Formula Ford the rest of the way to the show. Everyone was big smiles and photos as I drove down Forbes Ave. Dam those KIAs are huge when you're sitting at the light.

BTW Todd that was my green Lotus 51 in the British section. I came second to that magnificent Lola by 2 votes. I guess I should have remembered to vote.

Ed the event runs for a full week between the races and the car shows. If you’re in the east it’s well worth it. http://www.pittsburghvintagegrandpri...te/default.asp

Old 07-30-2010, 07:25 PM
SeanR
Rennlist Member

Received 498 Likes on 266 Posts

My daughter was in Pits that weekend, got to walk around and look at a bunch of the cars on display by the university. She said it was really cool.

That is a fantastic looking Lotus.
Old 07-31-2010, 12:44 AM
Todd951968
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I saw the Lotus.. Nice car!
I thought the GTO's were at about $12m myself but then went online and confirmed it. The figure was in British pounds but the equivalent of $ 27m. They have stretched the event to a little over a week now. A week before the Grand Prix at the park, they have some of the higher horsepower cars race at nearby BeaveRun race course. There, they have a Porsche/BMW challenge race, as well as some of the other vintage classes. They also have some muscle car road races there. The race in Schenley park , which is the main event weekend, is all vintage cars but on Saturday they have a huge multi-marque car show. The car show used to be only British cars but was gradually expanded to include German, then Italian, then Corvettes, and now other American and Japanese. Each marque is seperated in its own section of the park. Its pretty cool,and free. Its supposedly the only Vintage Car race run on public streets in the US.

Last edited by Todd951968; 02-18-2013 at 08:46 PM.

Quick Reply: Will anyone else be at the Pittsburgh Gran Prix this weekend?