Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

R12 recharge fittings

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 08:57 PM
MrNvgtr
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default R12 recharge fittings

I'm simply attempting to do an R12 recharge of my A/C system and I'm stuck before even starting. I can't figure out how the R12 hose fittings and fittings on the right side of the compressor will connect. The hose fittings are on the small side and the system fittings are considerably larger. I haven't play around trying to connect them yet because I'm not exactly sure which of the three is the low pressure one that I'm supposed to connect to. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-18-2010, 11:57 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The high pressure hose goes to the condensor on the engine lid.

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO CONNECT AN R12 BOTTLE TO THIS FITTING.

You didn't say which 911 and which compressor you have. The old York compressors (square) have a weird valve that you have to turn right (tighten) in order to open. You have to use a square socket or a triple square socket. I don't remember which size offhand, but it's simple once you get it figured out. Watch the sight glass if you're not using guages, and do not overfill.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:35 AM
MrNvgtr
Instructor

Yes, year is important. It's an '83 911SC. I think it's a York then. It has a square piece that sticks out of the fitting. However, that still wouldn't help the fact that the diameter of the system's threaded fittings are larger than the diameter of the R12 hose fittings. Is the car upgraded to something else that I didn't realize?
Old 07-19-2010, 02:00 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

No, I think you're looking at the valve fittings. There should be two caps for the hose fittings that look like bicycle caps, but they might be made from aluminum. The larger caps are coverings for the valves and have a square fitting.
Old 07-19-2010, 08:26 PM
MrNvgtr
Instructor

Ok, I just wrenched that square thing that protrudes from the fitting clockwise until it stopped. There's no way my R12 hose screws onto it. I can't figure this out. I know I should probably leave A/C work to pros, but I have the R12 and figure what the hey. Anyone know what I'm overlooking?
Old 07-19-2010, 09:14 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

The square thing is a valve! Clockwise opens it.

There is a hose fitting that is not the valve, separate from the square thing. Stick your head in there and look for a fitting that has a metal cap on it.
Old 07-19-2010, 09:56 PM
MrNvgtr
Instructor

I really appreciate your patience in helping me. Hey look, I brought you up over 6k post count.

Anyway, I feel like we're talking past one another on this. I finally took a photo, which I should have done in the beginning. Circled is the valve/fitting/connector or whatever it's officially called, which I removed the aluminum cover from, twisted the square thing clock-wise many revs until it stopped, and am wishing I can connect the R12 hose to, assuming this is the low pressure side. The threaded piece encircling this thing, higher in the red circle, are much larger diameter than the threads on the R12 hose fitting that I have.
Attached Images  
Old 07-19-2010, 10:20 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

A picture is worth a thousand words. You should be prepared to go have a beer when you see this.
Attached Images  
Old 07-19-2010, 10:24 PM
MrNvgtr
Instructor

Originally Posted by rusnak
A picture is worth a thousand words. You should be prepared to go have a beer when you see this.
Great. I'm glad I included that photo. So I've completed the rotation of the valve. I just need to attach the hose to the other fitting. Thanks.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:26 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Actually you should attach the R-12 hose first, then open the valve. If you open the valve first, then you'll lose whatever you've got already in the system. If you have no pressure in the system, then you could be looking at a flush and replacement of the receiver dryer.

I should clarify there is NO scrader valve in the fitting. As soon as you open the square valve, any refrigerant will come shooting out of the hose fitting.
Old 07-20-2010, 01:10 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Hey, we can start a pool on how long we bet your re-charge will hold!
Old 07-20-2010, 12:43 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

oh, that's cold.

Quick Reply: R12 recharge fittings