Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

'89 Targa Accident damage?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 09:49 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That primer looks interesting, as if the car had a re-spray. Originally they were dipped in paint, so there should be no stray unpainted surfaces on an original paint car. I agree the weld does not look unusual.
Old 07-08-2010, 10:11 PM
Eharrison
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You forgot too mention that the car was stolen in 89 and was missing for two years.

I'm certain he's a fool to think that driving that distance just to see a car was not serious enough.
Old 07-08-2010, 11:38 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

Good point on the seller's psychology. If he is playing games then he is probably hiding something.
Old 07-09-2010, 04:34 PM
gdwprice
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Scott, does knowing it was stolen in '89 and not recovered until 2 years later on the back of a trailer change your appraisal significantly?
Old 07-09-2010, 06:17 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

I missed the stolen aspect. It would be $10k - $12k max......

If this is a driver and it checks out through PPI, then it may be a deal. Caveat emptor!
Old 07-10-2010, 02:46 PM
gdwprice
Advanced

Thanks for the feedback. I didn't hear from the seller when he had promised to call so I called him - no answer! I'm dissapointed I wasted time on the guy but it's good experience I guess. Thanks for the links. I'm not really sure I want to go any older than an '88 or '89. I'd probably look for a 964. I want to use the car a lot - perhaps 7,000 miles a year.
Old 07-10-2010, 02:59 PM
gdwprice
Advanced

Ok, a fresh update. The seller just called and is now agreeing to take $15,000. I'm not getting a good vibe from the guy and it's affecting my judgement. Basically it's become more about the fact I'm disliking and not trusting the seller. . . . It's gonna coat me $500 to get the car home too. If I turn up and he changes his mind on me I'm kind of wasting time and money.
Old 07-10-2010, 06:01 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Go with your gut.... If he seems shifty then pass and find another car.

There's plenty of fish in the sea.
Old 07-10-2010, 06:24 PM
Eharrison
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by gdwprice
Ok, a fresh update. The seller just called and is now agreeing to take $15,000. I'm not getting a good vibe from the guy and it's affecting my judgement. Basically it's become more about the fact I'm disliking and not trusting the seller. . . . It's gonna coat me $500 to get the car home too. If I turn up and he changes his mind on me I'm kind of wasting time and money.
I'm getting old. I gave him a whole week.
Old 07-11-2010, 02:21 AM
gdwprice
Advanced

I like Scott's Targa
Old 07-11-2010, 07:28 AM
Daniel Dudley
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe I'm nuts, but that seems like a decent price if the paint and interior mach up with the miles. Plenty to choose from though. I think that the deal is that 15 is a good price for a car with minimal issues, a good engine and tranny, decent brakes and suspension. It would have to have a serious PPI, no fluff examinations, and always figure at least 3 grand to make a decent AC unit.

Given my choice, I would always rather have a car from a serious enthusiast, no issues. Figure out what it would cost to get that car up to snuff, and consider what is available in that price range. I think it is almost always better to spend more up front. The other side of that is how many G50 cars do you see for 15K with those miles ?

Go with your gut.
Old 07-11-2010, 11:55 AM
Eharrison
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by gdwprice
I like Scott's Targa
Looks like the one that's for sale in San Diego....
Old 07-11-2010, 02:23 PM
gdwprice
Advanced

Originally Posted by Daniel Dudley
Maybe I'm nuts, but that seems like a decent price if the paint and interior mach up with the miles. Plenty to choose from though. I think that the deal is that 15 is a good price for a car with minimal issues, a good engine and tranny, decent brakes and suspension. It would have to have a serious PPI, no fluff examinations, and always figure at least 3 grand to make a decent AC unit.

Given my choice, I would always rather have a car from a serious enthusiast, no issues. Figure out what it would cost to get that car up to snuff, and consider what is available in that price range. I think it is almost always better to spend more up front. The other side of that is how many G50 cars do you see for 15K with those miles ?

Go with your gut.
Thanks Daniel. I agree it does sound like a decent price. A few things concern me. This car has not been maintained and my experience with other cars in the past tells me when you start using a car that's been sitting, a lot of things start to go wrong. Use tends to keep all the seals supple and working. I have concerns that theses will have started to perish and crack - like the visible cv boots and steering gaiters etc. On top of that the seller is a real piece of work. I feel like he's hiding something and there's already enough on the table to concern me! Also, lets say during the cars missing 2 years that some portion of those miles were track miles - who knows. I agree, on the face of it the car seems a good price. I was willing to pay the 15k having satisfied myself the car wasn't in an accident but the seller is unpleasant, to say the least. He has a massive ego. I don't think he knew what he was buying (stolen/recovered) when he bought the car from his friend. I think he didn't find this out until he did the Autocheck a few weeks ago (it doesn't appear on the carfax). Anytime I've bought a car in the past I've taken a step back and said to myself, 'If this was my car, would someone else be willing to pay me what I'm about to pay?' In this instance, at $15,000 I think the answer is probably no. And, even if you fix the car - tires, boots, a/c, service/tune-up, the car still has a story on the background check. . . and it's a bad one. I'm talking myself out of the deal I think. . . .
Old 07-12-2010, 08:10 AM
sj340
Advanced

If it was a theft recovery,check to see if it has a salvage title.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:34 AM
gdwprice
Advanced

I've decided against it. I just started getting a really bad vibe about the seller.

Quick Reply: '89 Targa Accident damage?