Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

'89 Carrera - Complete brake failure today....then "heals" itself??

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2010 | 12:46 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
We are always good for some entertainment value here!
Yea. A real dog and pony show.
glad your here Greg. Sounds like your doing the right thing by getting it looked after. Let us know what your shop comes back with as a failure.
Old 07-06-2010 | 02:02 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by whalebird
Kinda sums it up. get your brakes fixed right.
I'm sorry for going off a little half cocked, but I do remember a similar incident in a earlier thread (about wheels IIRC) where dave911 pulled the same stunt. I also remember following a low-IQ thread in OT where Dave911 was wallowing around. These two isolated examples do not warant my temper tantrum. It rubbed me wrong, but by no means, gives me the right to pass judgement and fly off the handle. We all may have a bad day(including me)and not post with the clarity we would like to. I certainly do not articulate myself well in a monitors "pixilated space" and should extend the same courtesey to everyone else. It's the rock solid contributors(rusnak, Dshepp, Ed, and Iceman, et al) that keep the rest of us in line and make this forum a joy for me. Sometimes we "radiate more heat than light".
Sorry to all and you Dave. Regretably, it appears that the OP has bugged out-more than like because of my tyrade.
Sorry for the display, I think everyones point has been made.

Whalebird, I re-iterate my statement that you are an asset here. I do not disagree with anything you've said. Your motives are beyond question in my book.
Old 07-06-2010 | 02:06 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Greg, you've been around a long time!! I had 14.4 and 24k baud dialup for so long, I never bothered with the interwebs. I signed up with Pelican in 2004, but they never approved me to do any posting, so I ignored it until I ran into someone who told me it was this great site. That was in 2007 or so, more than 20 years after my Porsche love affair began. I like this group here because of the relaxed and to me anyway, thoughtful dialog. I've moved on from gee I gotta soak it up like a sponge, and prefer to focus on interesting 911 problems and situations.
Old 07-06-2010 | 02:46 PM
whalebird
Race Car

thanks rusnak. It's part of the personal nature found only in this forum.

I think it's a fair place to share a concept Porsche points out in their training.
Porsche has always had "too much" brakes. Compared to engine output, the average Porsche chassis has, maybe, a 4 to 1 ratio of HP/-HP. Meaning (for illistration purpose) if you have a stock boxter: 200HP you can presume that you have -800HP in the brake pedal. You can go from 60 to 0 as fast as you could go from 0 to 60 if you had 800HP output. Many cars don't have this capability. A solid brake system(allbeit stock) is a critical component in a Porsche's performance and should be maintained just like the engine and chassis aside of the safety issues. A 996 turbo has over 2000 -HP in the brake pedal - more than enough to stop a loaded dumptruck from high speed - literally.
Keep your brakes up...it's part of the fun.
Old 07-07-2010 | 08:17 AM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Without question, Bird's motives are ON. I don't feel it necc'y for an apology at all. Just acknowledgements,..and a "smoothing out", if you will. A compromise on "delivery" , no such result on content (me, personally)....I feel like it's time for some Kid Gloves Lyrics!

A world of difference
A world so out of touch
Overwhelmed by everything
But wanting more so much --

Call it blind frustration
Call it blind man`s bluff
Call each other names --
Your voices rude -- your voices rough
Then you learn the lesson
That it`s cool to be so tough

Handle with kid gloves
Handle with kid gloves
Then you learn the lessons
Taught in school won`t be enough
Put on your kid gloves
Put on your kid gloves
That it`s cool to be so tough

A world of indifference
Heads and hearts too full
Careless of the consequence
Of constant push and pull

Anger got bare knuckles
Anger play the fool
Anger wear a crown of thorns
Reverse the golden rule
That it`s tough to be so cool

Handle with kid gloves
Handle with kid gloves
Then you learn the weapons
And the ways of hard-knock school
Put on your kid gloves
Put on your kid gloves
That it`s tough to be so cool

or even better yet, Entre Nous lyrics (so pertinent to my cyber-family of friends here):

"Entre Nous"

We are secrets to each other
Each one's life a novel
No one else has read
Even joined in bonds of love
We're linked to one another
By such slender threads

We are planets to each other
Drifting in our orbits
To a brief eclipse
Each of us a world apart
Alone and yet together
Like two passing ships

[Chorus:]
Just between us
I think it's time for us to recognize
The differences we sometimes fear to show
Just between us
I think it's time for us to realize
The spaces in between
Leave room for you and I to grow

We are strangers to each other
Full of sliding panels
An illusion show
Acting well rehearsed routines
Or playing from the heart?
It's hard for one to know

[Chorus]

We are islands to each other
Building hopeful bridges
On a troubled sea
Some are burned or swept away
Some we would not choose
But we're not always free

...The bell tolls for thee,...let's get on with life, as time moves so quickly past us all.

Rant over...

Back to the OP's brake treks......
Old 07-07-2010 | 09:10 AM
whalebird
Race Car

Shepp, you make it so clear for me.

"I'm not one to go pointing my finger"
"you can try to understand me, and I can try to understand you"
Old 07-07-2010 | 12:00 PM
KRA993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Porsche = Passion
Old 07-07-2010 | 12:35 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Originally Posted by KRA993tt
Porsche = Passion
Well put.

Dave911. Whist we're waiting for a reply from the Op. I may suggest that you look into a set of brake cooling ducts(if not already). You may want to go so far as to get some brake temp paint on your rotors to gauge the extent of heat soaking. I personally know of a horrific crash and injury at the track due to brake failure.
I have seen some scoops made or retrofitted from a 993/964 on the front control arms that may offer a measure of cooling on the cheap. A good set of ducts can be a bit pricey and seem to take a hit at every off-track excursion requiring partial replacement. Maybe a different fluid would help. Be careful.
Old 07-07-2010 | 12:36 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Sorry. "911Dave" is your name.
Old 07-07-2010 | 03:18 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Good show, Whalebird. Also a brake fluid w higher boiling point.
Old 07-07-2010 | 03:24 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

I've had scoops, which are expensive, and never lost one at the track, although I do try and stay on pavement.

I now have the 993 deflectors which are less than $100 and easy to install. But then again, I'm way over-braked now, and heat isn't am issue any more. Motul RBF600 is highly superior to ATE in bp.
Old 07-07-2010 | 03:24 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

I've had scoops, which are expensive, and never lost one at the track, although I do try and stay on pavement.

I now have the 993 deflectors which are less than $100 and easy to install. But then again, I'm way over-braked now, and heat isn't am issue any more. Motul RBF600 is highly superior to ATE in bp.
Old 07-07-2010 | 03:31 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

I think Steve at Rennsport systems had a great writeup at one time on brake effectiveness and he also prescribed added cooling as the first in a logical progression of upgrades. He broke his analysis of braking performance down into "initial bite" and "fade resistance". It was a clear and very good primer.
Old 07-07-2010 | 04:06 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Ed are you over-braked? Maybe a bit, but it's a hell of a lot better than being under-braked. More ponies needs more brakes and your balanced equation(thats how I like to think it)has more everything so it works. If you had stock brakes you might be fine around town, but a quick stab from 150 to 90 takes a lot of power. You can get to 150 I bet...and back. Now, how about that diet...
Old 07-07-2010 | 06:29 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by whalebird
Ed are you over-braked? Maybe a bit, but it's a hell of a lot better than being under-braked. More ponies needs more brakes and your balanced equation(thats how I like to think it)has more everything so it works. If you had stock brakes you might be fine around town, but a quick stab from 150 to 90 takes a lot of power. You can get to 150 I bet...and back. Now, how about that diet...
I thought about that after I posted. I don't think there is such a thing. I'm "right-braked" in that I get great life out of my pads, and I've only gotten a slightly soft pedal once in the last 4 years when my front pads were ready for replacement. Ruby has lost 200lbs, and her driver is holding steady at 205lbs, down from about 225 a couple of years ago.

Ruby may get lighter bumpers next year.

Quick Reply: '89 Carrera - Complete brake failure today....then "heals" itself??